Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edmunds Model S Long-Term Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In preparing my slides for TMC Connect, I was surprised to see that 14.8% (38 out of 256) of the participants in the Plug In America Model S Battery Survey reported having their motor replaced. This compares to 3.4% (5 out of 148) motor replacements reported on the Roadster survey. The surveys are completely opt-in, so there could be sample bias in the data.

It would be helpful to get reports from more owners, whether you've had drivetrain issues or not: Model S Survey Form and Roadster Survey Form
The Roadster motor/gearbox unit doesn't include the inverter. I would bet that the motor/gearbox in the Model S doesn't have close to the failure rate as the inverter does.

In preparing my slides for TMC Connect, I was surprised to see that 14.8% (38 out of 256) of the participants in the Plug In America Model S Battery Survey reported having their motor replaced. This compares to 3.4% (5 out of 148) motor replacements reported on the Roadster survey. The surveys are completely opt-in, so there could be sample bias in the data.
I think most of it is an anomaly of the motor and pem being a single unit in the Model S vs. it being separate units in the Roadster (which goes back to my point about modularity).

I count 32 PEM swaps (24 owners) and 6 motor swaps (5 owners) for the Roadster. Combined it's 38 swaps, 28 owners (out of 148 or 18.9%).

Model S is 48 "motor" swaps (no separate PEM entry, so I assume it means the entire motor+PEM assembly), 40 owners (out of 262 or 15.3%).

Edit: numbers fixed.

Last edited:
Indeed. This is how Tesla is handling Roadster batteries - even though a full replacement is $36k (I hope the 2014 surprise for Roadster owners is lowering that price!) I just got a new battery and only paid $4k. They only charge you as if they replaced the broken part, which is my case was just one sheet. I have a hard time imagining they wouldn't do the same thing with the powertrains - they will replace the whole thing because it all bolts in and out together, but only charge you for what was broken.

Screaming "OMG! $15k!" is entertaining, but nobody has paid that and I doubt anybody ever will.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. For both 2012 and 2013 models, the Model S got the "best" reliability rating for the drivetrain. Even though the 2013 models dropped to "average" on climate control and "worst" on "squeaks" and "body hardware", CR still rated the predicted reliability of new cars at 17% above average.

Yes, this is a snapshot from the past and things could have gotten worse (though most here are assuming it was worse for the early cars - incidentally, no problems or noise in my VIN #112). It is true that CR reliability surveys don't cover all cars and aren't perfect. But I think they're about an order of magnitude better than trying to figure out what's going on by perusing forum postings. Any car forum has a long list of problems, and no way to see how many owners are not having problems. Determining a failure rate here is not just difficult, it's impossible.

I agree that I haven't seen anyone pay that, and I also agree that it seems profoundly unlikely that this is how Tesla would handle it.

Indeed. This is how Tesla is handling Roadster batteries - even though a full replacement is $36k (I hope the 2014 surprise for Roadster owners is lowering that price!) I just got a new battery and only paid $4k.
Thank you for sharing this data point. It's very encouraging both as a Model S owner and a Roadster enthusiast.

I think I did complete Tom's survey a while back. My note is just that Tesla replaced my drive train because of "noise" identified by the Service Manager when my car was in for window tinting. It was apparently a noise that neither my wife nor I had noticed and we're not hard of hearing. Point being that I think Tesla has been admirably proactive and super generous in replacing drive trains; I could well understand that their approach has probably biased the numbers somewhat.

Correct. For both 2012 and 2013 models, the Model S got the "best" reliability rating for the drivetrain. Even though the 2013 models dropped to "average" on climate control and "worst" on "squeaks" and "body hardware", CR still rated the predicted reliability of new cars at 17% above average.

Yes, this is a snapshot from the past and things could have gotten worse (though most here are assuming it was worse for the early cars - incidentally, no problems or noise in my VIN #112). It is true that CR reliability surveys don't cover all cars and aren't perfect. But I think they're about an order of magnitude better than trying to figure out what's going on by perusing forum postings. Any car forum has a long list of problems, and no way to see how many owners are not having problems. Determining a failure rate here is not just difficult, it's impossible.

The CR survey is probably the best data we have available, because CR won't publish ratings unless the aggregate responses result in statistically significant results.

I'm glad to see that the powertrain has been reliable overall. Hope the trend continues.

In reply to Tom Saxton, my drive unit was also replaced due to "noise" from the PEM which I was happy to have replaced but would not have paid more than one or two thousand to fix. I am part of his survey and must remind everyone that we were very early. I expect that the repair/replacements have lead to more reliable Model S cars now.

In reply to Tom Saxton, my drive unit was also replaced due to "noise" from the PEM which I was happy to have replaced but would not have paid more than one or two thousand to fix. I am part of his survey and must remind everyone that we were very early. I expect that the repair/replacements have lead to more reliable Model S cars now.
I looked at the build dates for the Model S reports showing replacements of the various components. They were actually spread out pretty evenly, but ending late 2013. So far no one has reported a battery, charger, or motor swap for a Model S built in 2014 and that includes 100 vehicles with reports updated since July 1st.

I hope you are right, because my car was 2014 March, but I have been to the service center 6 times all for warranty related issues, noise, door handle, etc. So far the service has been great, but I think my trips were probably 4 too many. I'm hoping this is the last I have to go to the service center for sure. I'm concerned about the drivetrain failures though, because I think I will hit 50k miles in about 2 years, not 4 years. And with the extended warranty at $4k + deductible, I'm very concerned.

For those of you who keep saying you have extended warranty, was it when it was at the lower price or at the higher price?

I looked at the build dates for the Model S reports showing replacements of the various components. They were actually spread out pretty evenly, but ending late 2013. So far no one has reported a battery, charger, or motor swap for a Model S built in 2014 and that includes 100 vehicles with reports updated since July 1st.

I'm guessing the engineers figured out which component(s) in the PEM were causing that noise.

The car was brought up in the earnings call today. Musk confirmed they were really "ultra proactive" on the car because it was Edmonds and wanted to "make them happy". Said Edmonds had a early production unit and their issues are not present in newer models.

According to an Edmunds statement, "Steinlauf and Berkowitz together guided the recent shift in Edmunds.com's strategy. The privately held company is now entirely focused on improving the car-shopping process by building a critical bridge of trust between car shoppers and dealers."

That change has included a guaranteed car-pricing service through Edmunds' car dealer clients called "Price Promise."

Edmunds.com's Anwyl leaves as family succession plan plays out

How objective is Edmunds if their primary customer base is NADA? Shouldn't we "follow the money" and cry ********.

According to an Edmunds statement, "Steinlauf and Berkowitz together guided the recent shift in Edmunds.com's strategy. The privately held company is now entirely focused on improving the car-shopping process by building a critical bridge of trust between car shoppers and dealers."

That change has included a guaranteed car-pricing service through Edmunds' car dealer clients called "Price Promise."

Edmunds.com's Anwyl leaves as family succession plan plays out

How objective is Edmunds if their primary customer base is NADA? Shouldn't we "follow the money" and cry ********.
Edmunds has zero credibility on ev's

So, here it is August 8th 2014 and the Model X is coming out sometime in Spring 2015. It will be AWD which means any drive train issues will potentially be more of a problem than with the Model S. I have waited for my Model X for what will be over 2 years when I take delivery sometime next Spring. I read almost every thread on this subject but the earliest ones and find I am very concerned about this situation. My concern is that I, and it seems most people on this thread, still have no idea if the matter has been dealt with by Tesla. Sometimes Tesla's "secrecy" in discussing car matters becomes an issue which causes a very motivated Tesla future owner to question their decision to support the company. I just don't feel confident reading about any drive train issue that can occur with such frequency for individual owners.