Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ELDA stays permanently disabled on 24.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed something odd yesterday: I normally always disable ELDA when I start driving, and when I went to disable it it was already disabled. I thought that maybe I had already disabled and and didn't notice, or something.

Today, however, I experienced the same behavior and I deliberately attempted to check: I parked, exited the car, went back in, and started it, and ELDA was still disabled. Has anyone else noticed this, that ELDA stays off now? or is this a weird quirk of my car?

• Love
Reactions: Msjulie and Pkmmte
I noticed something odd yesterday: I normally always disable ELDA when I start driving, and when I went to disable it it was already disabled. I thought that maybe I had already disabled and and didn't notice, or something.

Today, however, I experienced the same behavior and I deliberately attempted to check: I parked, exited the car, went back in, and started it, and ELDA was still disabled. Has anyone else noticed this, that ELDA stays off now? or is this a weird quirk of my car?
Yes, I had noticed. Can I get a "Hallelujah!"

Also, the setting is system wide rather than linked to a Driver profile. Which is probably sub-optimal, but this is a big improvement.

<edit> Haven't seen ELDA kick in with the ELDA setting turned off since a couple updates back. (20.1? 20.2.1? I forget which one). Which is also a positive. :0

Is it not working properly?
Very poor initial performance is definitely part of it, but it is fundamentally flawed. If it is an environment where it is trustworthy to do steering then I'd engage AP, and I do engage AP very often. However showing up uninvited it undermines my trust in the car to do what I ask of it.

It was a very dark days in my experience with the car, by far the nadir, when it started jumping in. I simply stopped trusting the vehicle and the first time I ever had an impulse of "I could drive there, but I don't want to drive the vehicle right now". :(

Reactions: Msjulie
In short, why is everyone happy to disable this feature? Is it not working properly? Just curious and I'll admit, lazy to research on it :confused:
Initially it had a lot of false positives triggered by colored bike lanes and other two toned road surfaces that are considered perfectly acceptable to drive on.

Now it doesn’t have a lot of false positives except in situations like narrow mountain roads where you may decide to drive off road on curves because that’s less risky than an oncoming collision around a blind corner.

But some people need to drive in those conditions on a daily basis and find ELDA false activations to be unnerving.

In short, why is everyone happy to disable this feature? Is it not working properly? Just curious and I'll admit, lazy to research on it :confused:

For me it often yells at me during "non-routine" areas such as construction, and when I least expect it. It freaks me out when it happens. Sometimes it happens at the beginning of a new lane (e.g. Right Turn Only lane) when I haven't yet engaged the turn signal. Ultimately, yes, unreliable for me.

Reactions: SammichLover
I was driving down a single carriage way road, guy was walking along the road towards me (no pavement/sidewalk), so I straddled the centre line slightly to avoid him but ELDA decided that wasn't OK and tried to pull me back towards the guy! Thankfully I was holding on firmly.
Thanks for sharing the story but that "WTF?" was directed at Tesla for regressing their prior fix. ;)

Yeah, I suppose there's people out there where (due a combination of reasons) this is a net benefit but having this always on, drill-down-menus-to-opt-out-every-drive thing is BS.

Yeah, it's fine untill your car tries to kill a pedestrian like mine did, then you'll want to turn it off. Sadly 28.31.1 turns it back on for every drive again.
Just to confirm; This is a 28.31.1 patch, not the 28.3.1 patch? I’ve got 28.3.1, and it is stilling staying off for me. I just checked this afternoon.

Although I haven't ever turned it back on since 24.4 allowed me to indefinitely disable it, so maybe as long as it was put into the "off" position before the new patch and is never turned on it'll continue to stay off?

I was driving down a single carriage way road, guy was walking along the road towards me (no pavement/sidewalk), so I straddled the centre line slightly to avoid him but ELDA decided that wasn't OK and tried to pull me back towards the guy! Thankfully I was holding on firmly.
Mine tried to do the same to a cyclist! Also to a parked car on the street. It also tried to push me back towards my lane after I swerved to avoid a car that suddenly peeked out from the side.

I really don't like ELDA. :/