Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric cars: New vehicles to emit noise to aid safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Annotation 2019-06-30 095353.png

New rule means electric cars must make noise

30/06/19

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-30_9-52-30.png
    upload_2019-6-30_9-52-30.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 43
  • upload_2019-6-30_9-52-47.png
    upload_2019-6-30_9-52-47.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 40
  • upload_2019-6-30_9-53-7.png
    upload_2019-6-30_9-53-7.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 27
I don't think it has to be the reversing lorry noise just a noise that has is direction-ally distinct. The last time I read up on it it should also be able to be manually muted by the driver for that one session with it defaulting to on again the next time it would activate.

I've spent time in the past researching this - I used to be a motorcycle journalist and was interested to see if the 'loud pipes save live' mantra was true - and I still haven't seen any compelling evidence to suggest that there is any significant aural recognition difference between a low-speed ICE vehicle and an EV.

At speeds of under 20 mph, it's not the engine noise that is heard, but the tyres. And regardless of that, the sound delivered tends to be multi-directional and very hard to distinguish as to from where it is coming - *untIl* the vehicle is in very close proximity.

There is an argument that LOUD vehicles are easier to hear, but unless you've got an obnoxious 'braap and splutter' exhaust, that isn't going to be the case for 98% of car owners.

I'm all for safety laws - genuinely. But this feels like a possibly unnecessary precautionary law rather than a reactionary one.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I'd be interested to see studies on how big a safety problem this really is, as in real safety issue vs a perceived one ("silent menace"?). They're quieter, of course, but are EVs so silent and slow moving ICEs so noisy that this change is really going to cause a lot of extra accidents? Are EVs actually hitting pedestrians materially more than ICE cars? Tyre noise remains and a lot of the time the ICE is only ticking over under a sound insulated bonnet. Other traffic noise makes the one that's going to hit you hard enough to locate precisely by ear alone anyway. And quietness in our world is a real benefit and something to aim for.

At speeds of under 20 mph, it's not the engine noise that is heard, but the tyres. And regardless of that, the sound delivered tends to be multi-directional and very hard to distinguish as to from where it is coming - *untIl* the vehicle is in very close proximity.

My above post was written before I saw yours and you put it better than me but I'll leave mine there. As a cyclist I'm often on the road amongst cars going 10-40mph and I agree. I can hear the road noise and often not the engine, but I still expect to need to look, constantly.

A lot of this reaction stems from anecdotal evidence (i.e. that car that nearly hit me was an EV, so it must have been because it's quiet) and then this study:

UCR Newsroom: Hybrid Cars Are Harder to Hear
Even emitting noise, all the new young generation will not hear the car because when walking, they just look at their iPhone and listening music using ear-pod and don't look at the street ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: zayn and nervus
My above post was written before I saw yours and you put it better than me but I'll leave mine there. As a cyclist I'm often on the road amongst cars going 10-40mph and I agree. I can hear the road noise and often not the engine, but I still expect to need to look, constantly.

Yeah, it's an interesting area of study I think, and would love to see something 'definitive' to see what the actual 'truth' is.

Yesterday I saw a lady get hit by a car in Cambridge at low speed... Nothing serious, just one of those 'bump into the bonnet' kind of 'oops sorry!' moments.

But it wasn't an EV so I doubt she really mentioned it to anybody.

If it had been a Nissan Leaf taxi however, I am certain that confirmation bias would have kicked in and her dinner table conversation that evening would have been lively! :D

Haha - sadly I am one of the ear-pod obsessed and have to have a soundtrack everywhere with me. BUT that conversely makes me more liable to check all things at all times, because I know I'm potentially putting myself in danger.

Sorry about that Luke. It took me 1/2 hour to post it as i’m a newbie, hence the reason why there are 3 attached files all the same! lol. I’ve no idea how to remove 2. Can’t see a means to edit. But who cares! We probably both started composing at the same time.

People are so eager to make statements, "There should be a law against X Y Z". So, the question is who is the driving force behind this? And, where is the research? We may find that OIL and Stealerships are all in. Let each vehicle stand on it's own merits. They may find a Ford Fiesta needs a noise maker as well.

After driving 33k miles in an EV, the only time I’ve found a problem has been when driving around car parks. People seem genuinely amazed as they wander across the traffic lane that there might actually be a car moving in a car park... :eek:

I suspect I could be driving a 5 litre V8 and the same people wouldn’t notice me :)