Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric driving sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they are trying to create the ultimate sound for an EV. Which I really don't understand. The absence of sound is what I enjoy.

Yesterday I let a coworker borrow the 3. He has a Jag Type R thing. Hit a pothole took out a rim. This is a Jag that wakes the neighbors wake up when starting. Midlife crisis time. He really enjoyed the 3 even as an old 2017 RWD. Said it was a blast and wants to get an EV now. Yet he wants the sound of the pipes rattling. I said "I think I need to put you on the Tesla no sale blacklist now. Sorry."

I think it would be loads of fun to have the option of customizable driving sounds. I love the quietness of course, but it would be a blast to pull up at a stoplight once in a while with the sound of classic big block v8 with a radical cam and headers. Just for grins :)

I think they are trying to create the ultimate sound for an EV. Which I really don't understand. The absence of sound is what I enjoy.

Yesterday I let a coworker borrow the 3. He has a Jag Type R thing. Hit a pothole took out a rim. This is a Jag that wakes the neighbors wake up when starting. Midlife crisis time. He really enjoyed the 3 even as an old 2017 RWD. Said it was a blast and wants to get an EV now. Yet he wants the sound of the pipes rattling. I said "I think I need to put you on the Tesla no sale blacklist now. Sorry."

Its funny, because, I used to really enjoy certain engine sounds. Not 'rattle your teeth super loud" sounds certain cars have a rev profile I used to really love. While I still appreciate the sound of a well tuned engine, I no longer "love" it.

I used to only be slightly annoyed by "super loud rattle the teeth tuned engines that wake people up at night", now, I cant stand them.

I have gotten used to the relative silence, although my model 3 is somewhat noisy in a different way (wind noise, slight rattles), I still enjoy it more than super loud cars.

I think the whole idea is silly, but it's just a way for these companies to differentiate from one another and make it feel like your part of the "experience". Look at Rivian, they sent me an email which explained how they came up with all their car sounds from the blinker to the lock sounds, all "derived from nature". It's just a marketing spin geared towards their consumer base.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4 and outdoors
I like options so I think it'd be fun to play with. With that said, I wouldn't use it on a regular basis: probably just for show. Any time I hear an ICE car now, I immediately frown and rub my temples thinking, I don't know how anyone can put up with that DRONING.

Mike

I love the silence from the car. It reminds me of the line from The Hunt for red October where they go To enable the caterpillar drive and Captain Ramius Said:
”It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our rockets. Now they will tremble again - at the sound of our silence.”

Most Tesla Drivers are the silence that scares the old school crowds, If you have to have artificial sounds to feel comfortable driving the car then buy a BMW or Mustang Mach-E i love the silence and if tesla enabled the option i would probably only use the sound to see what it does then would shut it off again as it would distract from the music/podcast/audiobook depending on what im listening to at the time.

Once upon a time the exhaust note was of huge importance and a source of joy for me. Whether two seater sports cars, spicy saloons or motorcycles, the sounds were a crucial element that sometimes, particularly on BMW bikes, needed a little enhancement from ( strictly road legal) aftermarket systems.

Nowadays, I love the quiet of the Y but do not begrudge those who still enjoy a little fruity crackle and pop when judiciously applied without the need for a major spectackle.

Now then.... SWMBO says " Confess! Tell them the truth; there are occasions when you wish for a moving up the gears roar when you launch and an overrun crackle and whine to accompany the regen breaking at launch end."

🤔Well yes. Very occasionally and it would be internal through the sound system; no need to impress or oppress the outside world. 😉.... we have the fart for that.

Last edited: