Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The engine in my HP4 pulls like it is electric.

I am going to demo a Alta Motors Redshift SM - hopefully this month. I am sure it will be a blast and make an awesome commuter.
I'm interested in your experience. If you're not racing it why would you pay what seems like a lot more for a Redshift over a Zero FX? If you're racing or jumping I can see that but at least on paper the ZeroFX looks like a great trails bike and cheaper too.

I will send you my full ride report after my test ride. I will not be racing it but I have a short commute to my work and to garage. Your right, it is definitely more focused, lighter and should be more fun than the zero. Plus I am a supplier so I love to support customers.

Alta has delivered its first Redshift MX.

Alta-Motors-Redshift-MX-first-delivery-01.jpg

Reactions: Kurt Foster
Either two or three years ago - I am pretty sure it was either April or May, 2013 - some very senior Yamaha engineers told me they would love to be able to marry an electric motor to their machines; according to them range and power draw were the limiting concerns. Sounds to me like EV skeptics everywhere. To be more clear, these were long-time old-timers: i.e., they have spent their entire careers perfecting ICEs for go-fasts, and likely aren't of the right mindset to embrace electric motors. Regardless, what they believe carries weight.

Sound familiar?

I tested a friend's BMW C electric scooter the other day. Same power as my (old-timer) 750cc Moto Guzzi but I must admit the weight of those batteries makes it a less fun ride. Acceleration was also affected by weight apparently (0-100 km/h in 6 seconds, not a big deal...). It may be slightly dishonest to compare a scooter to a motorbike, but still, I wasn't expecting to be so disappointed.

Even more importantly to me: whereas I love the silence of my Tesla (and will I believe never again buy anything else than an EV as car - so I'm certainly not 'anti-EV-biased'), on a motorbike, you're really your own airbag/crush zone/safety belt, so it does make some sense to have 90db under your butt warning others of your arrival (e.g. people driving backwards out of their driveway onto the road using only their ears as 'sensors', and I can think of some other 'close encounters' where I think those 90db have been useful to me in the past :)).

I finally got to ride the Alta SM. It is brilliant! The motor is fantastic. The balance and feel is superb. I was comfortable with it after 2 minutes. The throttle maps were a blast. The only downside was the stealth wheelies. They are way too addicting for a street bike. Luckily they draw zero attention. I see a future of electric motorcycles in my garage.

Reactions: domenick
A couple of days ago I read about a press release from Energica, announcing every single Ego and Eva they have produced so far is sold out and they are scrambling to increase production. Excellent news!
Energica Sells Every Electric Motorcycle It Can Build (w/Video) - Gas 2

Hopefully the major players take note and we get the same "Model 3 effect" we are apparently witnessing in the automobile sector right now.. BMW has already shown an electrified version of the S 1000 RR after all, and that was before the new cells were available that have just almost doubled the range of BMW's electric scooter!

ZERO is doing a great job with regards to electric motorcycles, but I can't think of a reason why they still have no cruiser in their model line-up. Cruisers are like 90% of the motorcycle market in the US and non-faired standards are just a tiny fraction of the market. A cruiser type bike is ideally suited to an electric drivetrain and would be easy pickings.

People who are looking for a no-frills, cheap-to run commuter bike buy a used 250ccm Kawi Ninja or similar. Running cost advantages for an electric motorcycle vs. ICE motorcycle are lower than they are with ICE cars compared to EVs, as tires and new belts/chains make up a considerable portion of maintenance costs. An electric motorcycle saves you nothing there.

"People who are looking for a no-frills, cheap-to run commuter bike" obviously will cheap out of eBike considerations unless they are willing to invest somewhat into new territory. Like having no engine noise, no need for starting, no fumes indoors, no fumes and spills while refueling, no need to stop at gas stations, no fuel to drain for seasonal storage, no-clutch operation, etc. Sure, you can dismiss all of these but if they have been your pet peeves as a rider then their elimination is extraordinary. The gift that keeps on giving.
--

Reactions: robby
Please comment if anyone here gets a chance to ride both the RedShift and the FX. I've got a SR now and would like one of the smaller bikes (to ride with my daughter). The RedShift looks interesting but I'm on my third Zero and find the company to be solid and the product/support very easy to work with. Their designs are a bit mundane but consistency counts for a lot.

In the vein of established brand Euro electrics coming to America, there is also the BMW C Evolution. This could do pretty well, at least in States were incentives bring it close to price parity with gas models. Also, this is the updated version of this bike. I calculated it has a 12.5 kWh battery, so that 99-mile range figure should hold up pretty well. Look forward to hearing about personal experience with it.

CEvolution-4-750x422.jpg