Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use to have a monthly pass when it was cheaper to charge with them. Now I wonder why I purchased the Tesla adapter - I only used it a half dozen times.
I used my CCS adapter for a roadtrip to Glacier National Park and it was well worth the cost to be able to get there and return. It also happened to be that EA was cheaper than superchargers. Worth it just for that trip.

It sits in the trunk a lot more now that EA has gone up so much in price.

Reactions: kayak1
I just checked a local EA site in Oregon: $0.56/kWh without the subscription, $0.42/kWh with. (Only 2 of the three CCS chargers are reported as working, even the L2 stall is down.)

The Superchargers in the same parking lot are $0.18/kWh for NACS vehicles without a subscription or $0.15/kWh for Tesla customers, owner or subscription.

So EA is only about 3x the cost. This isn't going to end well for EA.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and XHabjab
  • Informative
Reactions: israndy
Years ago I predicted that once free of the court order, EA will fold and be picked up by Tesla for pennies on the dollar. The switch to NACS has just made this all but certain
What would Tesla even want it for? I guess they might want the lease/parking space agreements, but I doubt they'd have much use for the equipment.

What would Tesla even want it for? I guess they might want the lease/parking space agreements, but I doubt they'd have much use for the equipment.
I doubt it. Most locations are only for 4 stalls, not big enough for Tesla where they install a minimum of 8 stalls in most locations. (Not to mention a lot of locations aren't ideal, though are still good for locals.)

But the infrastructure is in place
But probably inadequate infrastructure. If EA had 750kW service installed, I guess that would be enough for 8 V3 installs, but if you want it to meet NEVI requirements you would need a minimum of 1,200kW service for 8 stalls. (Not to mention you would have to negotiate for the extra parking spaces.)

Also, a lot of EA sites are at Wal*Mart, and Wal*Mart is working on creating their own charging network, so they might be happy that EA gives up their leases.

The infrastructure doesn't work though.
The infrastructure is the utility feed and transformer, which I don't think have been the problem at EA sites. (However, the charging hardware is junk.)

Reactions: doghousePVD
I doubt it. Most locations are only for 4 stalls, not big enough for Tesla where they install a minimum of 8 stalls in most locations. (Not to mention a lot of locations aren't ideal, though are still good for locals.)

But probably inadequate infrastructure. If EA had 750kW service installed, I guess that would be enough for 8 V3 installs, but if you want it to meet NEVI requirements you would need a minimum of 1,200kW service for 8 stalls. (Not to mention you would have to negotiate for the extra parking spaces.)

NEVI is 4+ x 150+. Supposed to for every port, but that's NEVI ports. So if Tesla only asks for subsidy for 4 ports, and pays for the rest of it, it's still compliant, right? :p

I bought one for insurance and because Supercharging locations are hit and miss in NM (particularly the SE) and Colorado. If I never use it I don't mind. And if it saves me from even one towing episode or being stuck for hours on L2 -- brilliant
Give how poor they are, I'm happy to pay the high pay-per-use rate for the few times that I'll want to use them since I, too, will only use it for emergencies and when it is a lot more convenient than a Supercharger.
I figure, I'm paying for them to be there, not for the electricity.

I doubt it. Most locations are only for 4 stalls, not big enough for Tesla where they install a minimum of 8 stalls in most locations.

By no means an expert, I'm under the impression that even 4 stall EA locations have two 350 kW and two 150 kW, for a total of 1 MW power. I'm pretty sure Tesla can figure out a use for that power. Perhaps 72 kW destination chargers for people without L2 at home