Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electronic Stability Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PedanticOne

MyTesla Refresh Champion
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2016
Bay Area, CA
I am trying to figure out (based on a thread over at the Tesla forums) what ESC is. It's listed as a separate item from Traction Control on the Tesla Model X specifications page. Yet in the Owner's Manual, the entry for Stability Control in the index takes you to the page for Traction Control. So... is there a separate stability control, and what does it exactly do?

My other thought is that maybe they mean how the air suspension will try to keep the car level.

Generally, Traction Control only refers to the feature where torque is cut dramatically to prevent wheelspin. ESC is a complex 6-axis model of the movement of your car which tracks all your car's motions with an accelerometer and gyroscope and monitors for oversteer, understeer, left-right traction imbalance and so on.

However, it's very likely on modern cars both functions are provided by the same piece of hardware so the terms are somewhat interchangeable.

Well given that there's no way to defeat ESC and only a slight way of influencing Traction Control (slip start), I don't blame Tesla for not wanting to talk more about it.

I find that most manufacturers' wording of the ESC feature makes it sound like the car has supernatural abilities and coaxes drivers into driving dangerously.

Trailer stability control can be an OPTIONAL subset of ESC . Does model x have this to help prevent vehicle sway induced by a trailer, and subsequently delivers the correct braking inputs to reduce trailer sway itself once started to damp out the resonant positive feedback trailer sway?