Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm liking the 'something else' idea. Note each sentence in the tweet can be taken separately. The first one just announces there will be a press conference, the rest talk about ending range anxiety. So while it's clear the OTA update will be part of the conference, it isn't clear that it will be the only thing or even the main one. Either X, or 3 design I'm thinking.

Predictions:

1. He will reveal the X. This range thing is diversion to surprise everyone.:smile:
2. Its something to do with navigation.:frown:

If it is just to do with navigation, then the Model X is being delayed even more and has problems, and this is just a PR stunt to ease the wait.
That makes sense, would justify the press conference.

Increased Range, More Chargers or Both

All 39 pages read. Of course increasing range would eliminate range anxiety. If range is greater than distance between available SCs, no anxiety. It will be:

- increased range (I predict at least 5%)
- announcement of partnership to quickly add more SCs (large chain like hotel, WM., etc.)
- better trip prediction/planning and routing to these new SCs

We know that the car has the ability to drive in autopilot mode. In range mode with autopilot engaged, they may let the car essentially drive itself to increase efficiency. Take human inefficiency out of the equation on the longer trips. I think it'll be along these lines with some of the other suggestions already listed.
I like this idea. If they've made a range cruise-mode, where the car manages the available energy optimally to get you to you destination in as little time as possible, that would be awesome. This could easily increase range by a few percent, and with autorouting through charger locations, it could manage the drive faster/charge longer equation all by itself. In theory, Tesla would be able to guarantee that you won't be left stranded by the side of the road, as long as you use this mode.

But I suspect the functionality of this is too advanced. The car isn't autonomous enough yet. An extremely good range estimator would be a good first step towards this functionality a few years down the line.

I'm going to cross post this because I think it is important to this discussion:

I was upgraded to Firmware 6.1 2.2.179 with a ranger last week. While he was installing he indicated that this update while mainly for the D models, WILL INCREASE RANGE, by providing better efficiency while coasting or at low cruising power levels, I would also notice a difference in my P+. Last night I did a drive to my Dad's house, which is a trip I do almost weekly. I normally use 310 to 320 Wh/mi. Following this upgrade, I used 272 Wh/mi. This is a HUGE increase in range!! This is only the first evidence I have.

Does anyone else have this version yet? Are you seeing the same increases??

1. Increased efficiency
2. Better nav and range display
3. A charging partner. Think chargepoint with discounts for Teslas
4. Supercharger status and availability

And...

4. A hotline to assist you with getting to a charging station if you can't find one or need advice on how to get to your destination. The Tesla rep will be able to send the address straight to your car, so you won't have to write anything down or type it in.

With the exception of #3, all those things are within Teslas capabilities and wouldn't require outside help.

I'm going to cross post this because I think it is important to this discussion:

I was upgraded to Firmware 6.1 2.2.179 with a ranger last week. While he was installing he indicated that this update while mainly for the D models, WILL INCREASE RANGE, by providing better efficiency while coasting or at low cruising power levels, I would also notice a difference in my P+. Last night I did a drive to my Dad's house, which is a trip I do almost weekly. I normally use 310 to 320 Wh/mi. Following this upgrade, I used 272 Wh/mi. This is a HUGE increase in range!! This is only the first evidence I have.

Cannot believe that this would end Range anxiety, most likely listing all potential charging spots over and above the Superchargers on the nav. We already have the info on range and battery left to a specific destination.

Any idea why this would only affect single motor P drive units? What about single motor S85 drive units or S60?

I have this version, but I'm not sure I noticed a difference. Although, I wasn't really checking. I will keep an eye on it.

I did, however, have top notch efficiency this morning. I went 27.4 miles and used 27.8 miles of rated range. Not bad considering it was in the 30s this morning and I made a stop. I used 8.8 kWh. I don't recall the exact kWh/mile, but it should be around 316 if I did the math right.

According to my amazing math skills, using your lower estimate of 310 Wh/mi, the improvement is roughly 12.25%

Here is my WAG just for the fun of it. Supercharging will be enabled on all cars and they have partnered with Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, BP and six other "fuel stations" to add Superchargers at all of their locations WORLDWIDE in the next two years. Top that if you can !!! :cool:

Last edited: