Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe now that there is an Insane Mode on the D, they will introduce a 'LAME' mode, 0-60 in 20 secs. Current limiter of sort.
This solution has to be a global one. Do not forget, NAV isn't available in some markets (e.g. we are still waiting for NAV in HK).

You could get it by drawing 44kW at a 50% duty cycle... but that's not useful. (Actually it's worse because of higher losses).
It is not *necessarily* worse.
Yes, resistive loses at 44kW are higher than at 22kW but those loses are not the only one. One needs to analyze the complete system to see what exactly is going on.
Remember that Chameleon charger of Zoe that could charge at 1 and also at 43kW but its efficiency under ~10kW was abysmal? Even though resistive losses at less than 10kW were certainly lower than at 40kW, cumulative losses where still much higher.
Only tesla knows the exact efficiency of its drive train at various loads. MicroSleep could maybe help but would also increase noise etc.

But range increase itself can never ever end range anxiety. Range anxiety does not come from knowing you don't have enough range, it comes out of not being certain it is enough.
More accurate prediction one can trust will end range anxiety. There is another simple trick to force people to stop gambling (and lessen the worry): when range drops to 0, car stops. Never mind the SOC and some miles of reserve left. It says 0, so it stops.
And one can start to rely on 0 being actual 0.

:)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DriverOne viewpost-right.png
OTA adds a button which summons a self-driving Supercharger to your location.

That would be awesome

+1000

Ok, jokes and wild speculation aside, having read the entire thread (!) these seem to capture the most likely points that the OTA update will improve:

...if Tesla takes this a step further and incorporate altitude, temperature, wind, and PlugShare data into the algorithm, it could be a game changer which removes a large lingering doubt in many people's minds prior to buying a Model S.

...I think it is an all-software update, ...

1. Improved navigation to allow planning a complete trip ( including stops ) - instead of just a point to point.
2. Learns your trips and remembers them for the future, automatically tracks if you are driving on a path that coincides with any previous trip.
3. Automatically finds the best charging point(s) along your path and suggests them if they are needed.
4. Charging point data is combined from sources like plugshare, with data crowd sourced from every Model S. The data from the Tesla cars will augment the data from plugshare, and automatically track which stations are available, and in proper working order. No more using the crappy web browser on a crappy website to try to figure out if the station is functional, the car will just know what stations it can use.
5. Further, the navigation can know if any of the stations are currently occupied or will be occupied when you get there ( if that car is a Tesla ), and can route you elsewhere.

This is about Elon getting excited about the new software release that will provide an updated Nav. Even Jerome has mentioned the updated nav coming soon. It will probably include lots of the features that have been touted for a while now (some of which appeared in 6.1). Things like routing through Superchargers, including their destination charging or other L2 charging to the nav, Supercharger status (seen at Hawthorn), etc. They probably can create some very accurate energy models. This is part of Tesla's big data/connected car/silicon valley advantage. The Model S fleet probably has nearly 1 billion miles under its belt now. That should be very useful real world consumption data that would help create accurate energy modeling. Most advanced/accurate/data backed Nav would be the kind of thing that gets Elon excited and tweeting. To my knowledge, no other car company has the ability to tap that amount and type of real world driving data.

This. The recent Morgan Stanley video touted Tesla's advantage of having massive amounts of data available to them. If Tesla actually has been grabbing everyone's routes, speeds, weather conditions, and energy usage, they could have a dynamic version of evtripplanner, only with 99% accuracy.

I think you got it, trils0n.

Two things need to be kept in mind:

1. This is sw update only and nothing else.
2. Most (other than EV enthusiast) people are too lazy to plan their trip and that is what causes range anxiety.

Based on these the only thing I can see coming is that the Model S will tell you all the places where you can charge and also if you can reach them with your current range or not. By touching the charge station icon in the map you can start navigating there. Navigation (at least to charging stations) will be enabled in all cars.

Most of these seem pretty logical, are purely based on SW, and will deal with range anxiety very well.

Mind you, they are all areas my startup is working on so if they are correct its back to the drawing board for me! :eek:

Trying to second-guess a genius like Elon and the super-smart Tesla team sure is hard work.

2. Most (other than EV enthusiast) people are too lazy to plan their trip and that is what causes range anxiety.

Yes, people are too lazy, that's why SW update will add an "advisor": When you will enter your car, it will ask you "where do you want to go today?" and you say "Oh, I'd like to drive to lake Tahoe!".
The car will analize the anwser and output its predictions:
a) No problem, lets go!
b) You see, we don't have enough energy reserve. You need to charge for another 10 minutes before leaving or stop for a quick supercharging at XY".
c) Another roadtrip sir? No problem, but we'll need to stop at ZX to recharge and you can take a quick bite while waiting.
d) I must inform you that there are strong and cold winds overthere that will significantly increase consumption so we need to stop at XY to be safe.

What range anxiety?

Edit: It will do it the Apple way: it won't list 123433 possibilities and demand you pick one, it will calculate the one it is best under some criteria and offer it to you.
Yes, there will be options to request another suggestion. And of course, one will be able to completely ignore suggestion and stop wherever he likes.

Last edited:
But range increase itself can never ever end range anxiety. Range anxiety does not come from knowing you don't have enough range, it comes out of not being certain it is enough.

More accurate prediction one can trust will end range anxiety.

A more accurate prediction is not going to do anything when you arrive at your destination with 50 miles charge left, and you just found out that the only charge option within 100 miles in either direction now looks like this:

Range Anxiety.jpg

But even in a world where chargers are always functioning perfectly, the prediction can be 100% accurate. It doesn't know headwinds or tailwinds, or exact traffic pattern, or trucks you can slipstream behind, or how much weight you have in the car.

The fact remains that in some places, chargers are few and far between, and the only way you can make it is to drive the car beyond the limits of any range estimation. And since the prediction will always be off, this will always be a valid, albeit scary option.

I totally agree though that the announcement will most likely be a better trip calculator, but I'm also equally sure it will do very little to alleviate the real range anxiety situations out in the wild.

A more accurate prediction is not going to do anything when you arrive at your destination with 50 miles charge left, and you just found out that the only charge option within 100 miles in either direction now looks like this:

Why in the world would you do that?

You could also stop at that charger 100miles away before going to that distant and isolate destination, charge to ~250 and arrive with 150 left not relying on that single unreliably charging option. If it happens to be like pictured you are still fine to go.
Range anxiety is always drivers fault - he was too optimistic, relying on unrelyable. Having a car yelling at you to stop and charge where you still can will reduce opportunities for owner to F*** it.
Besides, car could and should and would know current state of all nearby charging options far better than anyone owner.
Besides, public charging options are not the only options, every electrical outlet is a charging opportunity. They are just so much slower. Slow charging beats walking anytime.

Elon is quirky and brilliant at the same time. The key as most have stated relates to improved navigation regardless of how that gets done.
I also wonder why a press conference? The pessimist in me believes that Elon has seen the stock go down by more than 100+ points and knows that a successful press conference will help reverse "some" of that loss.
Besides he is tired of getting questions about the X reveal and this is a good way to change the discussion, at least for a little while.

I suggest he’s going to give you what we have in our Renault’s in Israel: state of charge prediction at destination. Added bonus: automatic route planning via Super Chargers.

Here’s my full prediction.

State of charge prediction at destination was added in v6.1. It works very well. The piece that is missing is automatic routing via chargers, and that's what we're going to get on Thursday.

Maybe now that there is an Insane Mode on the D, they will introduce a 'LAME' mode, 0-60 in 20 secs. Current limiter of sort.
This solution has to be a global one. Do not forget, NAV isn't available in some markets (e.g. we are still waiting for NAV in HK).

Sign me up! I (and most people I suspect) drive 2 ways: either for range or for local travel. Locally I don't care about range, and performance matters more. On trips, I would be thrilled with a "lame" mode that reliably added even 30 miles to my real world range. Although I'm sure the marketing folks could come up with a better name to put on the button!

Although, no matter what, there is nothing that you could do to get the car to exceed it's "ideal" range. If I understand correctly, that's done at constant speed at the perfect temperature on a perfectly flat road with no wind. No amount of "laming" is going to do better than that.

- - - Updated - - -

State of charge prediction at destination was added in v6.1. It works very well. The piece that is missing is automatic routing via chargers, and that's what we're going to get on Thursday.

Yes, but it's inaccurate - at least in cold weather. On one longer trip that I make, it will tell me that I've got 10-15% more charge than I need, but as I go down the road the prediction gets progressively gets worse until it tells me that I won't make it there. And I drive this trip ridiculously carefully and slowly.

Better prediction would be of some value. But I'm still fantasizing about this announcement:

1. We lied to you all about the cells! They're not 3.1Ah! They're 4.0Ah. 29% extra capacity from this.
2. You have 20% more batteries in there than we claimed! We hoped that nobody would take the pack apart and count them, and you didn't! 20% extra capacity from this.
3. It turns out that we can go deeper in the "brick protection", and charge a little more. 10% extra capacity from this.
4. We've introduced a new inverter control algorithm that reduces mean consumption by 10%.

Totaling it up, the net result of all of this is a range increase of 87%!

Sigh. I suspect I'm destined to be disappointed. :)

How to end range anxiety:

- Set destination in NAV
- Tesla computes Kwh needed for the trip.
- Car limits power (and thus speed) to the motor.

You arrive at your destination.

The golden rule is, if you don't think you're gonna make it, just drive slower.
If the software in the car can help you with that, it would end range anxiety.

We know that the car has the ability to drive in autopilot mode. In range mode with autopilot engaged, they may let the car essentially drive itself to increase efficiency. Take human inefficiency out of the equation on the longer trips. I think it'll be along these lines with some of the other suggestions already listed.

I read most of the thread and skipped to the end.
Sorry if someone else had all of these points and I missed it.

I think it is an all-software update, this is what I think they will do, because it is what I would do:

1. Improved navigation to allow planning a complete trip ( including stops ) - instead of just a point to point.
2. Learns your trips and remembers them for the future, automatically tracks if you are driving on a path that coincides with any previous trip.
3. Automatically finds the best charging point(s) along your path and suggests them if they are needed.
4. Charging point data is combined from sources like plugshare, with data crowd sourced from every Model S. The data from the Tesla cars will augment the data from plugshare, and automatically track which stations are available, and in proper working order. No more using the crappy web browser on a crappy website to try to figure out if the station is functional, the car will just know what stations it can use.
5. Further, the navigation can know if any of the stations are currently occupied or will be occupied when you get there ( if that car is a Tesla ), and can route you elsewhere.

this. +1

6. They might also have included an algo which actually calculates the minimum charging time needed in order to safely arrive at your destination, so that you don't have to charge for more time than necessary at slow chargers.
7. It'd be even better if Tesla would certify other (i.e. public/private) chargers around the world and highlight those on the nav map, so that Model S would preferably re-route to the next Tesla Certified Charger (TCC) near you. (many of you have mentioned this in one form or another, too!)

I agree with those who've said that increased range (via battery/motor/algo improvements) has nothing to do with ending range anxiety (unless you increase real-world range way above 500 miles). Some people will always have the anxiety to get stranded somewhere eventually because with their Tesla they can't go to the next gas station (which are highly visible and abundant) and refill within 10 minutes. And this has always been key argument for FUDsters, namely that EV chargers were not abundant and it took "hours" to recharge.

Imagine you have 100 miles to go to reach your destination and your Model S has only 50 miles of estimated range. If above mentioned features would assist you, you'd be re-routed to the next Tesla Certified Charger around the corner and the software would tell you "Please plug-in at this TCC for a minimum of xx minutes to regain 50 miles of range in order to get you to your destination". I'm quite sure this would end range anxiety for most people who have those fears to either get stranded with an empty battery or having to charge for hours somewhere in a strange neighbourhood.

TCC features would include: 24 hours availability
Up-to-date information on free/occupied sockets
Paypal or credit card compatibility

Last edited:
I'm sticking to my earlier prediction of NAV upgrades with SC routing. What would be really cool is if we could see SC status from within the car, showing each stall, and guidance as to which stall to use upon arrival for optimal charging rate. Many people still don't get SC cabinet pairing.

I had proposed this awhile back in addition to SC reservations, but I don't think the latter will happen. It will remain first come first serve.

Better prediction would be of some value. But I'm still fantasizing about this announcement:

1. We lied to you all about the cells! They're not 3.1Ah! They're 4.0Ah. 29% extra capacity from this.
2. You have 20% more batteries in there than we claimed! We hoped that nobody would take the pack apart and count them, and you didn't! 20% extra capacity from this.
3. It turns out that we can go deeper in the "brick protection", and charge a little more. 10% extra capacity from this.
4. We've introduced a new inverter control algorithm that reduces mean consumption by 10%.

Totaling it up, the net result of all of this is a range increase of 87%!

Sigh. I suspect I'm destined to be disappointed. :)

Other than being solidly founded in fantasy land, no amount of range will "end range anxiety".
Anxiety is caused by not knowing.
Accurate navigation and prediction removes that unknown, thus removes the anxiety.

You hop into the car, it takes your battery SOC, range to destination, elevations along route, temperatures and perhaps even wind speed and direction and the car tells you YES or NO. No mystery, no anxiety.
Add to that automatic routing to SuperChargers or public chargers and you have, IMO, the best way to remove range anxiety for the most people.