Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adaptive cruise
Auto high beam
Collision detection

are all in 6.1 (the current release)

Right. I was talking about the "completeness" of driver assistance compared to other manufacturers. For so long we've been reading that the Model S is lacking features found in other luxury cars and it seems that each update is checking off boxes.

I've updated my earlier post to note firmware versions.

I was wondering this as well. I hope that's a user selectable option in % or miles.

Maybe it's because of the current state of charge (which is pretty high), the total energy usage and the total miles required to get to the destination.
I doubt they'd have a bat icon telling you to drive like a bat out of hell on that stretch to lower your state of charge.
But that 36% expected SoC at the next Supercharger could be Tesla's CYA hint that, you know, you have spare charge if you want to use it.

Since valet mode will give us the ability to lock the frunk, I'm hoping we eventually also get the ability to do that without needing to use valet mode.

I've essentially made the decision to pretend the frunk is not there. I've read too much about the frunk crease, and frankly having the dreaded funk crease is more of a concern to me than needing to use the frunk for anything. Occasionally I have inadvertently popped the frunk, at which point I then need to close it very carefully, and worry about the crease. If I could lock it, to prevent inadvertent openings, that would be great.

It does seem that the 6.2 Driver Assistance updates have been somewhat drowned out by the nav stuff. With 6.2 Model S will have:

So what's missing compared to other manufacturers?
<snip>
- HUD

If the Musk/Tesla endgame is to have the cars driving themselves instead of the people driving (soon on highways, next few years on city streets), HUD ends up being essentially unneeded...

Last edited:
I thought it was one year in that statement - and I'm expecting the Model X will have some additional sensors when it get released, which may or may not be retrofittable.

I would have thought that the main gap in the current system is side looking cameras/radar for stop signs and traffic lights, but the quote makes it sound like they are more worried about seeing kids (which I guess could still be running out from the side beyond the coverage of the camera/radar.)

It'd also be nice to have longer/more precise rear view sensing - but that would be for the freeway, where they are apparently comfortable with what they have. Walter

The quote was one year....

I believe Tesla will replace the "dumb" rear camera with a smart rear camera first. And add side view cameras thereafter.

If the Must/Tesla endgame is to have the cars driving themselves instead of the people driving (soon on highways, next few years on city streets), HUD ends up being essentially unneeded...

Yeah, heads down display may be more appropriate. Come to think of it, as I drive around, I see a lot of people looking down as they drive. They must already have auto pilot and the "heads-down" display! It appears to be really common, even on old chevys. :cursing:

Yeah, heads down display may be more appropriate. Come to think of it, as I drive around, I see a lot of people looking down as they drive. They must already have auto pilot and the "heads-down" display! It appears to be really common, even on old chevys. :cursing:
Passed a woman in an old minivan yesterday that clearly must have had autopilot. She was on the phone and was holding a sheet of paper with directions in her other hand, while going about 50mph...

Passed a woman in an old minivan yesterday that clearly must have had autopilot. She was on the phone and was holding a sheet of paper with directions in her other hand, while going about 50mph...

In the mid-90s outside Salt Lake City, I passed a girl in a red Grand Cherokee on the freeway. She had a book spread out across the steering wheel. Not a road atlas - a hard back book.

I never knew those older Jeeps had Autopilot.
Walter

Definitely some thanks go to AlMc who has been nagging Tesla on this subject for some time, directly and via TMC and the TM forums..

Just saw this. Thanks Nigel. Yes, I have requested (OK begged is a better term) for this to anyone who would listen (and some that would not:biggrin:) for quite some time now. If anyone from TM is reading this...I offer to beta test it thoroughly...like you never had something tested before...if you send me it asap:rolleyes:

In the mid-90s outside Salt Lake City, I passed a girl in a red Grand Cherokee on the freeway. She had a book spread out across the steering wheel. Not a road atlas - a hard back book.

I never knew those older Jeeps had Autopilot.
Walter

My favorite that I ever saw was in TN back in September. A girl, probably in her 20s, steering with her feet while using her hands to text.

Some folks have mentioned wanting to be able to use the 6.2 nav trip planning features in a browser or app on another device, before getting in the car. That would be great, but there's one more step required to make it truly useful: being able to synch route plans between your device and the car's nav, in either direction. I have that in my airplane with a flight planning app called Foreflight: I build a route on the iPad, then synch it with the panel-mounted Skyview PFD when I get to the airplane. Once synched, any changes made to the route on either device propagates to the other. It's slick.

If the Must/Tesla endgame is to have the cars driving themselves instead of the people driving (soon on highways, next few years on city streets), HUD ends up being essentially unneeded...

I was pretty much going to say something to the same effect. Though realize we're not talking about self driving cars. We're talking about cars that do enough of the driving that small time periods of the driver being distracted are not catastrophic.

Some folks have mentioned wanting to be able to use the 6.2 nav trip planning features in a browser or app on another device, before getting in the car. That would be great, but there's one more step required to make it truly useful: being able to synch route plans between your device and the car's nav, in either direction. I have that in my airplane with a flight planning app called Foreflight: I build a route on the iPad, then synch it with the panel-mounted Skyview PFD when I get to the airplane. Once synched, any changes made to the route on either device propagates to the other. It's slick.

Great suggestion. As comprehensive as Tesla's mobile app is, and as much as they're trying to be the information age/silicon valley car company, I have to believe some sort of web/mobile app integration for the trip planning is coming - it would be out of character for them not to release that eventually.

If Tesla is trying to do scheduling behind the scenes and adjusting the routing choices because of that, the "plan in advance out of the car" version throws a new wrinkle into their estimates - I suppose one answer would be to have the out of the car versions include an expected start date/time.
Walter

Nope. Read the press release 3x over and I see no mention of the Nav accounting for weather.

"The navigation system then shows a map of the most convenient charging locations and guides you to the closest one. Moreover, it factors in height changes, like having to climb over a mountain pass, and looks up weather and windspeed from the Internet to determine range with extreme accuracy."

...from the blog....

THAT. I want THAT for my Tesla...