Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My old Prius didn't do regen and wouldn't go into EV mode when the battery was too cold. I wouldn't expect any EV to do regen on a very cold battery.

I live in the PNW so it's not like it ever really gets that cold.

With a Tesla the regen is pretty much zero around 40F. My commute to work is only about 10 miles so the time I'm at work I barely have any regen. Sadly the commute to work is down a giant hill.

The Porsche Taycan supposedly has full regen even when its cold out. But, I don't know how cold it goes down to. Plus it's a different system where its fully integrated into the braking. So no one pedal driving, and I enjoy one pedal driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: ChrML
Just to avoid misunderstandings, what they have on their public repo is just the source of their platform (which is based on open source components), as far as they are required to publish it to comply with the respective open source licenses. That includes things like the Linux kernel and a number of other well known open source projects. They obviously don't publish the source of the actual Autopilot software (which runs as an application on top of the platform). This repo doesn't imply anything about the state of Autopilot.

Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that meant Tesla had made additions to their stack, in addition to disclosing components that were already known. Was this purely a case of disclosure?

May still make sense that this step would come after the end of a big sprint.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that meant Tesla had made additions to their stack, in addition to disclosing components that were already known. Was this purely a case of disclosure?

May still make sense that this step would come after the end of a big sprint.
I have obviously no insight into Tesla's processes, but for products that include open source software it is common that a person or team is tasked with making the required sources ready for publication (which can get very complicated and time consuming, since patent lawyers may have to be involved to approve the publication of code modifications). So I wouldn't say that publishing stuff on the repository is necessarily related to development sprints.

The Porsche Taycan supposedly has full regen even when its cold out. But, I don't know how cold it goes down to. Plus it's a different system where its fully integrated into the braking. So no one pedal driving, and I enjoy one pedal driving.
I always wish Tesla would implement this to. If the battery is cold, they could keep the regen and use that energy to heat the battery coolant. No point wasting that heat on the brakes, when it could heat the battery quicker and save energy.

but we already have the responses. Try going past one on AP and if it's mapped you'd get the "take over immediately" screen with lots of beeping. ;)
Nope, never happened to me nevertheless it’s always mapped. Besides, don’t try to justify them. By Elon’s interviews and by the mere presence of this sentence under “coming later this year” section it’s more than obvious this part is not ready even from Tesla’s standpoint. And since these 2 goals are separated, it’s highly unlikely they’re coming in one piece. Unfortunately :(

My old Prius didn't do regen and wouldn't go into EV mode when the battery was too cold. I wouldn't expect any EV to do regen on a very cold battery.

My 2019 Volt has full regen all winter. Although it’s only got down into the teens a couple times this winter. While parked next to Model X that has none. I could care less though if I have to use two feet some of the time. I don’t believe the Volt is switching to using brakes.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Nope, never happened to me nevertheless it’s always mapped. Besides, don’t try to justify them. By Elon’s interviews and by the mere presence of this sentence under “coming later this year” section it’s more than obvious this part is not ready even from Tesla’s standpoint. And since these 2 goals are separated, it’s highly unlikely they’re coming in one piece. Unfortunately :(
if you read the promise directly (as you should) - the warnings are clearly a reaction.

That was only for feature complete. Goal still is level 5 with a Robotaxi fleet. After feature complete system will develop further towards that goal.

I’d be happy if cruise control worked when snowing or raining. Snowed in Chicago Saturday and couldn’t get cruise or AP. Hoping I paid for FSD that will be available in weather other than perfect San Diego-style before the battery needs to be replaced.

That was only for feature complete. Goal still is level 5 with a Robotaxi fleet. After feature complete system will develop further towards that goal.

Their goal is Level 5. But they're no longer promising that it will come to the cars they're selling now. If you pay for FSD on a car you buy today, they're promising Level 2 city NoA "this year." When I bought mine, the promise was that if I paid for FSD, my car would eventually become Level 5. There is a very clear implication in that promise that it would come during my car's expected lifetime, because it would make no sense to say that my car would become Level 5 after it was worn out from age and sitting in the junkyard or crushed.

They've changed Level 5 from a promise to a goal.

I know it's not the response you are hoping for. But if you follow the letter of the offer it matches the definition too, does not it?

Yes, but we all know that at some point, if you want a real robotaxi which Tesla claims to want, then FSD requires that the car be able to actually stop on its own at a red light and then go again at a green light with no input from the driver. I am sure Elon has even talked about it at some point. So yeah, just flashing a warning when you are about a run a red is technically a response, but it can't the be the final response that Tesla is actually planning. It is only a preliminary response, a prerequisite for something more.

but it can't the be the final response that Tesla is actually planning.

It probably isn't the final response for the total FSD plan. The question will be if it is the final response on our hardware cars, or if they figure out they need to move on to HW4 and a new suite of sensors to make it happen.

They do have a history of doing things like that and just telling owners they need to buy a new Tesla to get the new features. Tesla doesn't like to be constrained to their old hardware when they figure out they have something better.

It probably isn't the final response for the total FSD plan. The question will be if it is the final response on our hardware cars, or if they figure out they need to move on to HW4 and a new suite of sensors to make it happen.

They do have a history of doing things like that and just telling owners they need to buy a new Tesla to get the new features. Tesla doesn't like to be constrained to their old hardware when they figure out they have something better.
This is precisely why I leased my M3. I don't think Tesla or anyone else knows enough at this point to truly understand what sort of hardware is going to be required to even reach the goal of true NOA in the city. I'm fairly confident that we'll see some rudimentary form of NOA in the city during 2020 but I'm not confident at all as to when we will see it being truly useful and/or close to how a human would drive.

I'd be SHOCKED if we don't see new hardware within the next few years that will be required to truly get good autopilot functionality in all scenarios.

Yes, but we all know that at some point, if you want a real robotaxi which Tesla claims to want, then FSD requires that the car be able to actually stop on its own at a red light and then go again at a green light with no input from the driver. I am sure Elon has even talked about it at some point. So yeah, just flashing a warning when you are about a run a red is technically a response, but it can't the be the final response that Tesla is actually planning. It is only a preliminary response, a prerequisite for something more.
While it's obvious there'd eventually be more functionality we need to be clear of something here:

what was promised (in the most narrow sense) was already delivered with the warnings.
This does not mean they can stop development of course, but if they did, at least that particular milestone as outline is not something you can point to and say they did not deliver in time (or at all)

Did Elon & Tesla not promise the "Tesla Network"?

I remember it very clearly, where you can use your car as an Uber of sorts.
Tesla network was not really detailed for what it means, was it?

I mean they said you'll need to pay Tesla to participate in "Tesla Ridesharing Network" or some such unless you only share the car between friends.

But you know "car sharing" does not really imply any autonomy, right? People do it today on Turo for example.