Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He did say the rules are ‘slightly different’ which is exactly what you confirmed. Also FSD doesn’t use the same logic as non-FSD AP so it seems you just want to nitpick. I don’t see the issue with what he said.
Of course "FSD doesn't use the same logic as non-FSD AP", but that has nothing to do with Elon's statement about rules of the road. My post was strictly about flashing green lights and signage, not whether Tesla is going to create a Canadian FSD version with different responses to speed limit and stop signs just because they look different.

By tweeting something with a cautious tone, Elon is probably trying to not anger the Canadian regulatory gods. Note: Please do not derail this thread by expounding on how Canadian drivers are more polite.😉
I don’t think BC drivers are any different than WA drivers.

Coming back on topic, Tesla will have to do some testing and simulation to see how FSD beta works in Canada before releasing it. There might be some differences they have account for.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I don’t think BC drivers are any different than WA drivers.

Coming back on topic, Tesla will have to do some testing and simulation to see how FSD beta works in Canada before releasing it. There might be some differences they have account for.
There have already been some Beta testers that crossed the border and it drove fine (or as fine as Beta drives).o_O Here is one

There have already been some Beta testers that crossed the border and it drove fine (or as fine as Beta drives).o_O Here is one

Yes - I've seen some of those ;)

I suspect, Tesla did some internal testing and found some issues (or did some simulation and found issues). I won't be surprised if some internal employees of Tesla in canada have FSD Beta running ...

ps : There was even a hacked Tesla with FSD Beta in a Eastern European country !

Ive noticed, anytime a tough question is posed to Elon, his reply usually is:
A)Thats a dumb question
B)You are asking the wrong question, here is the question I want you to ask me instead

LOL
Isn’t that what all the politicians/corporate types do? Nobody answers any question the way you want them to. They are all coached by or/consultants on how to say a lot of words without saying much.

Elon is more transparent than most, though.

I predicted this. Elon is planting the seed for his gullible fans. He always does this where he responds to question of things they are working on and u can tell from his statement.

When Tesla was using 8-10 years old radar, Tesla fans said: "Tesla is using RADAR that's better than Lidar". When they ditched their radar. Tesla fans said "all you need is vision. if camera and radar disagree what do you do. There will be mass accidents with cars with RADAR" Finally when Tesla introduces a 4D imaging high res radar that others already use. Tesla fans will say "Radar sucked so bad that Elon went and personally invented a new type of Radar. Tesla is 5-10 years!"

Elon is also more incorrect than most. I commend him for trying to tackle difficult problems. But I uncommend him for taking people's money with false statements of future features. For example: automatic driving on city streets by end of 2019.
Hmmm ... isn't that what we have been talking about for past 3 years ?

The question we all agree on is "Elon's pronouncements of when the features would be available has been proven to be wrong". He has obviously made a large number of very optimistic statements that didn't come true and in hindsight look ridiculous.

The basic disagreement is - whether he lied or was he being optimistic. I vote for the latter.

I've also said - it is in his nature to be that optimistic and if he was not that optimistic, he wouldn't have started ventures like a rocket company or EV only car company that at the time they were started almost everyone gave almost no chance of success. He put all the money he got from Paypal into these.

We have to take the good with the bad. He wasn't just optimistic with rockets & EV - but somehow lied about FSD. He is optimistic with all these ventures he undertakes ... whether it is Rockets, EVs, Batteries, Cybertruck, Boring, FSD, Robotics, Starlink or Neuralink. All of them have had delays, some more than others. For all of them he has taken money from customers / investors with promise of future products - whether they were Roadsters, Model S or FSD.

The question we all agree on is "Elon's pronouncements of when the features would be available has been proven to be wrong".

The basic disagreement is - whether he lied or was he being optimistic.

Since everyone seems to forget this was posted every couple pages- Elon already answered which it was back in 2018

Elon Musk on 60 minutes in 2018 said:
People should not ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity." (LAUGHTER) So-- so it's, like, just because I'm, like, dumb at-- at predicting dates does not mean I am untruthful.

I don't know-- I-- we've-- I never made a mass-produced car. How am I supposed to know with precision when it's gonna get done?

Sub in "developed a safe level 4+ driving system" for "never made a mass-produced car" and the statement remains the same. Doubly so since nobody has ever done it, so there's no known timeline to guide by.

(Also sub in "made self-landing reusable orbital rockets" or whatever else Elon has either previously promised and eventually delivered- or previously promised and not yet delivered)

None of that is to say he ought not just shut up about offering estimated dates at this point.

None of that is to say he ought not just shut up about offering estimated dates at this point.
I don't even know why anyone would ask him when FSD will be done at this point - I guess just for clicks. They should just ask about stuff that could happen in the next couple of months like Beta 11.

BTW, now its not just him - but 3 other companies are promising "FSD" this/next year - GM, Zeekr/Mobileye and XPeng - we'll see what they deliver and how good those are.

1644104890497.png

Last edited: