Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the hell would Tesla "ghetto" the camera/wiring on that way? Seems Tesla should have mounted it by replacing the current camera (with a custom mold mount) while using internal wiring and making more "stealth".
Because it's not actually a camera. I think Whole Mars is joking. :p
I saw speculation that it's an IR rangefinder. No idea how that would be useful for testing the cameras though...

1662918228432.png

Reactions: willow_hiller
I must be obtuse. When I read Elon's Tweet it sound to me like it is LESS sensitive (8% delay...) and NOT more sensitive. Are people say it was OVER fixed or it shouldn't have been fixed or ?????

Yeah, my understanding is that the bug caused FSD beta to be less sensitive to pedestrians by causing a slower reaction time. Elon said the bug was fixed. But his latest tweet suggests that Tesla then decided to make it more sensitive as an extra precaution. So it seems they over-fixed the issue because now FSD Beta is overly sensitive to pedestrians.

I must be obtuse. When I read Elon's Tweet it sound to me like it is LESS sensitive (8% delay...) and NOT more sensitive. Are people say it was OVER fixed or it shouldn't have been fixed or ?????
The bug was that detecting pedestrians greater than 50 meters away was 8% slower than it could be.
All the examples I've seen of it being too sensitive are closer than 50m so that bug isn't even relevant. And of course he didn't say the bug was in the response to pedestrians, merely the detection.
More relevant is that he said it is "overly cautious" around pedestrians which is not a bug, it's a feature.

Reactions: DanCar
....More relevant is that he said it is "overly cautious" around pedestrians which is not a bug, it's a feature.
It is a bug if it panic stops for someone who is clearly NOT going to walk in front of the car. Mine did this on 10.12 a few weeks ago. The J-walker was heading to walk behind my car and even shakes his head at my "ignorance" for slamming on the brakes for him.

Looks like 10.69.2 is braking now even when pedestrians are not crossing.

This makes sense. Since it is going wider release, they must be much more cautious, to keep the number of actual users down.

I wonder if these are the “significant effects” he was referring to?

It does arguably go counter to Elon’s earlier Tweets, which implied that the earlier 10.69 versions would be more cautious.

I guess reviewing the Tweets, he makes no mention of being less cautious with future releases…continuing to search…

Ah, here is the one I was remembering. While arguably only referring to one aspect, it implied that undefined future releases would be more assertive (but in context, I read this as a 10.69 point release):

Obviously plenty of time for a 10.69.2.1 release if they decide to throw caution to the wind (I think they should do this and reduce the strike count limit to 1).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVNow
It is a bug if it panic stops for someone who is clearly NOT going to walk in front of the car. Mine did this on 10.12 a few weeks ago. The J-walker was heading to walk behind my car and even shakes his head at my "ignorance" for slamming on the brakes for him.

I think there are quite a few examples of this. Not a surprise. This is the advantage of keeping the accelerator pressed at all times. You’ll get a beeping FCW freak out rather than the stopping behavior when a significant hazard is identified, and everyone can behave normally. Obviously if there is an issue you can brake or release the accelerator.

I often just keep the default speed lower than I would normally drive and just use the accelerator to get around. Problem solved; next problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2101Guy and EVNow
Lots of peds in my area, so this release like past releases sounds like a turd. As a previous co-worker use to say, a polished turd, bright and shiny.
Again, you just need to use the accelerator modestly. You need to be careful about excessive application around corners, otherwise the car will slalom wide. And obviously release the pedal and use the brake if needed for actual pedestrian hazards!

Just drive the car. I should make a YouTube video. It’s probably the safest thing.

I think there are quite a few examples of this. Not a surprise. This is the advantage of keeping the accelerator pressed at all times. You’ll get a beeping FCW freak out rather than the stopping behavior when a significant hazard is identified, and everyone can behave normally. Obviously if there is an issue you can brake or release the accelerator.

I often just keep the default speed lower than I would normally drive and just use the accelerator to get around. Problem solved; next problem.
I always keep my foot hovering over the brake.

May be you like living dangerously, but definitely I’d not advice anyone to keep pressing the accelerator with FSD on …

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life