Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, for one, there is the actual title/headline for the article that contains that chart, so we can start there:

Cadillac's Super Cruise Outperforms Other Driving Assistance Systems

yes, a weirdly dishonest title, given the actual performance score for Cadillac was lower than Tesla.

As I've mentioned, CR tends to have an anti-Tesla bias.

Which is why even them being unable to rate anyone's performance and capability higher than Tesla ought be noticed.

Then we can reference (same article as your graph):
Even after two years, Cadillac’s Super Cruise remained our top-rated system

Well, not in performance and capabilities- no.

This is like if we were having a discussion of 0-60 times and you kept insisting the Mercedes EQS beats the Plaid Model S because the seats are nicer.

They might be- but that's not the actual thing being compared.

It's even worse in this case since Tesla has since fixed the biggest complaint CR had- lack of driver monitoring.

While Cadillac has.... stopped selling Super Cruise at all, blaming chip shortages.

Last edited:
Admittedly, the data is now stale. A new comprehensive study is needed, and one that takes into account such things as crossing double yellow lines, Smart Summon being "nothing but a gimmick"(c)Elon, phantom braking, and other various problems that are routinely reported by FSD drivers right here within this forum

I'm not sure how one should even go about a cumulative score for a driver assist feature.

The biggest issue is Performance versus Safety.

The problem being is that safety actually does down as performance increases. The reason for the inverse relationship is the human behind the wheel can't possibly be expected to be engaged when a system works 99.9% of the time. When things always work people get used to it always working, and an unconscious trust forms.

There is probably a fine line between functionality, performance, and safety. Some point where there is enough functionality, and performance that drivers use it while also not causing so much trust in a system that they fail to pay attention.

CR/IIHS,etc all put a lot of faith on driving monitoring. But, that can only really combat purposeful inattention. The "I'm going use the driver aid as an excuse to text" kind of people.

Probably the most meaningful thing Supercruise does is they geofence it to only areas where its designed to work. Tesla doesn't do this so it performs wildly differently depending on where you're at.

But, that ability to always use it is useful to owners.

I personally can't wait to wipe my hands free of L2. They simply can't be made to perform well, and to also be safe.

One thing CR ignores is the hands free offered by supercruise does reduce safety because of increased take over time. Now I'm a huge advocate for hands free, but even I acknowledge that it reduces safety in that regard.

Reactions: israndy and daktari
But, it wouldn't be

It's cumulative score where one attribute is given a higher weight than the other.

A better comparison would be comfort versus handling. The old farts on the grand tour make the joke about the Nurnberg ring time ruining cars because their tuned for handling, and not comfort.

So they'd probably weigh comfort as having more importance.

That's all CR is doing.

It's not just safety in terms of driver monitor (something Tesla didn't even pretend to have at the time), but also geofencing to keep the driver from using it in places where it's not designed.

The latest IIHS attempt is actually going to deduct points for vehicles like a Tesla who don't have a timeout from going again after stopping. So they want to reduce the usefulness in stop and go.

I can't think of a single time with my Tesla AP where I had an issue with suddenly forgetting I was in TACC/AP while stopped.

I say that as someone who hates the fact that canceling out of AP doesn't also cancel out of TACC. With AP that was fine, but for FSD Beta driving its really annoying and unsafe.

Reactions: K5TRX
yes, a weirdly dishonest title, given the actual performance score for Cadillac was lower than Tesla.

As I've mentioned, CR tends to have an anti-Tesla bias.

Which is why even them being unable to rate anyone's performance and capability higher than Tesla ought be noticed.

Well, not in performance and capabilities- no.

This is like if we were having a discussion of 0-60 times and you kept insisting the Mercedes EQS beats the Plaid Model S because the seats are nicer.

It's even worse in this case since Tesla has since fixed the biggest complaint CR had- lack of driver monitoring.

While Cadillac has.... stopped selling Super Cruise at all, blaming chip shortages.
Im not so sure I agree with "since fixed". Based on these findings from just weeks ago: (which seem to align with several other various youtube tests/reviews as well)

A safety feature designed to ensure that Tesla drivers keep their eyes on the road while Autopilot automates some braking, acceleration, and steering tasks performed poorly in Consumer Reports’ tests.

Earlier this year, Tesla announced that it had activated in-car cameras built into some of its cars—which the automaker calls “cabin cameras”—so they could detect driver inattentiveness when Autopilot is in use, then alert drivers when they need to pay more attention. Tesla’s announcement followed calls from Consumer Reports and others for all automakers to install effective driver monitoring systems on any vehicle that automates certain driving functions, and to use monitoring technology to prevent drivers from using those automation features if they appear to not be looking at the road. Most of these systems use eye or head tracking to determine where a driver is looking.

When CR tested Tesla’s cabin cameras in our Model S and Model Y, we found:

• Drivers could still use Autopilot if they were looking away from the road and while using their phone.

• Even if the vehicle’s camera was obscured, Autopilot remained active and didn’t prohibit the driver from using the system.

• We could use Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta software with the vehicle’s camera blocked.

I've personally tested two out of the three above on a 2021 Y with current software, and can agree that those statements are factual.

Im not so sure I agree with "since fixed". Based on these findings from just weeks ago: (which seem to align with several other various youtube tests/reviews as well)

A safety feature designed to ensure that Tesla drivers keep their eyes on the road while Autopilot automates some braking, acceleration, and steering tasks performed poorly in Consumer Reports’ tests.

Earlier this year, Tesla announced that it had activated in-car cameras built into some of its cars—which the automaker calls “cabin cameras”—so they could detect driver inattentiveness when Autopilot is in use, then alert drivers when they need to pay more attention. Tesla’s announcement followed calls from Consumer Reports and others for all automakers to install effective driver monitoring systems on any vehicle that automates certain driving functions, and to use monitoring technology to prevent drivers from using those automation features if they appear to not be looking at the road. Most of these systems use eye or head tracking to determine where a driver is looking.

When CR tested Tesla’s cabin cameras in our Model S and Model Y, we found:

• Drivers could still use Autopilot if they were looking away from the road and while using their phone.

• Even if the vehicle’s camera was obscured, Autopilot remained active and didn’t prohibit the driver from using the system.

• We could use Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta software with the vehicle’s camera blocked.

I've personally tested two out of the three above on a 2021 Y with current software, and can agree that those statements are factual.

With all the mishaps with the Cabin Camera in 10.8, and the resetting of the FSD Beta strikout I think its safe to conclude that the Cabin Camera monitoring is very much in early beta.

So we have to give it 5 years.

Then it will work as well as the auto wipers. :)

Edit: Hopefully a bunch of 2021 Model S FSD Beta testers will test it thoroughly because Tesla likely made changes with it when adding it to the Model S to make it work better for the purpose of driver monitoring. Things that need to be tested are covered, wearing sunglasses, at night, and holding the phone in various positions.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
On a sep note: My 2017 S. I swear to you, the auto high beams worked really well. I'd leave it on that setting 100% of the time and had no issues.
Cut to my wifes 2021 Model Y. Its literally the opposite experience. It goes on and off so much, the distraction to us and other drivers is intolerable. To the point where we never use that feature.

Incredible how some features of Tesla go BACKWARDS in performance over time.

On a sep note: My 2017 S. I swear to you, the auto high beams worked really well. I'd leave it on that setting 100% of the time and had no issues.
Cut to my wifes 2021 Model Y. Its literally the opposite experience. It goes on and off so much, the distraction to us and other drivers is intolerable. To the point where we never use that feature.

Incredible how some features of Tesla go BACKWARDS in performance over time.
And yet on my Model Y they don't go on often enough and never bother other drivers.

Reactions: Yelobird and JHCCAZ

Can you post a video ?

I’ve not checked it recently, I’ll check blocking camera.

In a YouTube video posted sometime back one of the regular YouTubers showed that the camera uses, IIRC, 8 sec rule I.e. if you look away for 8 seconds it warns.

Last edited:
And yet on my Model Y they don't go on often enough and never bother other drivers.
I won't argue that others haven't had a bad experience, but my own experience with Auto High Beams as well as Auto Wipers has also been pretty good. And no, this is not on Beta yet, just Standard FSD Autosteer.

Remember that crazy Auto High Beams wilas a common complaint in the first Vision l-only releases in 2Q 2021. But it seems to have been improved by the time I got my car in 4Q. So IMO it is possible for Tesla to correct this problem as reported in FSD Beta; they just aren't using their own latest code for that feature.

Regarding the wipers, as I said they're working pretty well in their main function. The exception being that I don't like it when Autopilot initiates a dry-wipe of the dusty windshield. The Tesla method of detecting water occlusion is entirely from the camera, and it can't necessarily determine that the problem is dust or dirt instead of water. Standard auto-wiper sensors are moisture detectors, but Tesla has elected to banish those because No Part is better than a Working NIH Part :rolleyes:

I'm trying to be proactive in keeping the windshield reasonably clean between our infrequent rains, either by hand-cleaning or with a quick pushbutton spray-wipe to head off a possible Auto Dry-Scrape.

If anyone from Tesla ever sees this, my suggestion would be that the first computer-initiated wipe in any Drive session should be done with a spritz of fluid to ensure you're not sanding the windshield.

Reactions: K5TRX and KArnold
Not my experience - May be you have a faulty one ?
Interesting how some experiences are different. My experience matches Julien… FSD Beta here, and they flash on and off way too much, constantly blinding cars that are clearly visible and heading in your direction.

Maybe it’s just a personal tolerance of how much you’re ok with blinding others?

Interesting how some experiences are different. My experience matches Julien… FSD Beta here, and they flash on and off way too much, constantly blinding cars that are clearly visible and heading in your direction.

Maybe it’s just a personal tolerance of how much you’re ok with blinding others?
I actually think they go off too early !

I see a lot of cars in my area lower the lights after FSD lowers them. Many of them are cars that probably have auto dimmers, too.

Mine hardly ever go off, I end up having to manually disable them when I'm about a block away from an oncoming car.. historically, pre-beta and early beta, there were much more friendly for other drivers. at this point, I have the feeling the car is so SCARED of its surroundings that it is going to do everything in it's power to illuminate the road and hopefully, optimize it's visibility of the surroundings.

Reactions: K5TRX and 2101Guy
Admittedly, the data is now stale. A new comprehensive study is needed, and one that takes into account such things as crossing double yellow lines, Smart Summon being "nothing but a gimmick"(c)Elon, phantom braking, and other various problems that are routinely reported by FSD drivers right here within this forum
You list those Tesla "issues" as if the other systems are completely flawless.

However, I'd love to see an apples-to-apples comprehensive FSD comparison study. My guess is that would be an impossible task .... given all of the apples Tesla would bring to the table. :)

you still posting that graph without the accompanying commentary by CR? Dont be afraid to post the entire story. LOL
The bullshit CR used to ding autopilot is rediculous. It doesn’t “hold drivers attention” as well.. oooooOOOOOooooHHHH

There are zero other car companies offering anything resembling FSD beta outside of Tesla.

Same here. Dry auto wipes and erratic auto high beams in my Model Y. I have disabled the auto high beams because of how annoying it is, still got auto wipers on though since the dry wipes are a very infrequent occurrence. On my Model S I also disabled auto high beams but have auto wipers still on (have not had dry auto wipe happen yet)

Reactions: impastu