Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah, thats not what many have reported here.

If I had to go with the word of actual drivers/owners vs the word of Tesla? Based on Tesla's history of statements not being factual? Imma go with the owners..
I’ve put a couple of thousand miles on my car since I opted into the beta in early November. FSD has hard braked several times, and it’s never counted against my score.

Reactions: Yelobird
I’ve put a couple of thousand miles on my car since I opted into the beta in early November. FSD has hard braked several times, and it’s never counted against my score.
If it would have occurred on ice causing loss of traction like it did another poster? It would have. So yes, there are definite times when the hard braking will impact the score

The problem with hard breaking and the safety score is that driving non autopilot and using regen breaking as designed is always considered hard breaking which is hilarious. I think the score is less about driver safety and more about finding a reason to keep cars in difficult driving areas out of the pilot to boost its ‘success’ rate. I wonder if people in the pilot stopped intervening how much less safe than a human autopilot would show up in the data. We know we haven’t even hit the first 9 yet let alone anything to the right of the decimal.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
To play devil's advocate here, how many of those fires occurred while the vehicle was sitting unused? A vehicle catching fire in a wreck is a risk of death, but that risk is incorporated into the risk of death in a crash. A vehicle catching fire while it is charging in your garage at night is a risk of death, but most people don't incorporate that into their mental model of vehicular safety. And that's why EV fires scare people.
Sample size of 1 and yes I am late. 1992 Ford Mustang caught fire in our garage ~an hour after driving. Was in Missouri with an attached garage. We were super thankful that the pantry fire extinguisher was able to suppress the fire just long enough for the FD heroes to push the car back out of the garage. We were even more greatful we remembered to grab the gallon of milk we left in the trunk of the adjacent Astro van.

It happens, and has the potential to happen whenever energy is stored in quantity.

It’s certainly a risk, but not unique to EVs. Education is key and propaganda hurts. Hasn’t deterred me.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and EVNow
We forgot to celebrate the 5 year anniversary of this famous tweet.
I thought that was the old joke. Now we talk about "2 weeks".

ps :

1644279491752.png

Last edited:
The problem with hard breaking and the safety score is that driving non autopilot and using regen breaking as designed is always considered hard breaking which is hilarious. I think the score is less about driver safety and more about finding a reason to keep cars in difficult driving areas out of the pilot to boost its ‘success’ rate. I wonder if people in the pilot stopped intervening how much less safe than a human autopilot would show up in the data. We know we haven’t even hit the first 9 yet let alone anything to the right of the decimal.

I feel as if the real reason was the give an illusion of safety.

A media spin of sorts.

I do have some additional theories that are fun to think about:

They intentionally made it difficult to get FSD Beta that a subscriber wouldn't unsubscribe simply because they didn't want to go through all that work all over again when re-subscribing. The "lets give it another month" kind of thing.

They made it difficult so people would be more likely to give it the benefit of the doubt, and more willing to be patient with it. Not just this, but where they live in areas more conducive for early beta testing. This is essentially the same reason you gave.

They intentionally made it difficult to people without FSD wouldn't bother subscribing to try out FSD beta in its early form. They're worried they could lose that customer forever just because of how bad the initial experience would be. Just like the new price is $12K which will keep people from buying it.

With that being said I don't think a lot thought goes into decisions Tesla makes. Most of them have the distinct smell of an Elon Musk brain fart.

I’ve been tracking my safety score for months on my model Y and model 3, and there were only two instance where I thought hard breaking was triggered by full regen. I use full regen all the time in my drives and don’t get dinged for hard braking.

Sample size of 1 and yes I am late. 1992 Ford Mustang caught fire in our garage ~an hour after driving. Was in Missouri with an attached garage. We were super thankful that the pantry fire extinguisher was able to suppress the fire just long enough for the FD heroes to push the car back out of the garage. We were even more greatful we remembered to grab the gallon of milk we left in the trunk of the adjacent Astro van.

It happens, and has the potential to happen whenever energy is stored in quantity.

It’s certainly a risk, but not unique to EVs. Education is key and propaganda hurts. Hasn’t deterred me.

I know of someone whose car repair shop burned down due to a Mini that was parked inside and off during the night. It took most of the building and multiple other cars with it. Bmw eventually figured it out and issued a recall for the car-model.