Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to hearing about how they broke through the local maxima. Maybe robotaxi prototype will be shown?

I think AI Day #2 will focus on NN they are working on, like vector space or behavior prediction on vision-only. Elon and Karpathy will talk about how they are solving difficult AI problems and encourage talent to apply. Elon might tease some updates on Tesla Bot. I think they will also show or tease HW4.

Personally I find these events a bit frustrating. On one hand, I really like the technical stuff and learning about the machine learning that Tesla is doing. But these events also create a lot of hype that gets me more excited and then I want to know when will we get FSD that does not require driver supervision. Then reality settles in when I take my Model 3 for a spin and FSD Beta does something dumb. Plus, I can't even try FSD Beta 10.12 yet because my Model 3 is still in the body shop. Honestly, I would almost prefer Tesla not do these events and just tell me when FSD Beta does not require driver supervision anymore. Stop teasing me if it is still going to be awhile before FSD is actually L4.

Last edited:
Personally I find these events a bit frustrating. On one hand, I really like the technical stuff and learning about the machine learning that Tesla is doing. But these events also create a lot of hype that gets me more excited and then I want to know when will we get FSD that does not require driver supervision.
It's very exciting to get a peek at the cutting edge work they're doing, but I agree it's harsh to step back into the reality that we won't see it for 2-3 years. All in all, I like to know what I can expect (or at least hope for), and set a general level of expectation better than "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely".

But these events also create a lot of hype that gets me more excited and then I want to know when will we get FSD that does not require driver supervision. Then reality settles in when I take my Model 3 for a spin and FSD Beta does something dumb. Plus, I can't even try FSD Beta 10.12 yet because my Model 3 is still in the body shop. Honestly, I would almost prefer Tesla not do these events and just tell me when FSD Beta does not require driver supervision anymore. Stop teasing me if it is still going to be awhile before FSD is actually L4.
Now imagine having purchased FSD and living in the UK watching all this 😂...!

not complaining though.. love watching the progress from afar!

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Stop teasing me if it is still going to be awhile before FSD is actually L4.

I think L4 is very doubtful ever on current sensor set and lack of semantic mapping.

Vision-only is a mistake. The problem with the old radar was that it was too low resolution, not that it was radar. There are much better radar chipsets now with AESA like scanning & imaging capability (and will be less expensive and more reliable than lidar). For optical data, they should use higher resolution cameras (current ones are worse than eyes by quite a bit, they're like 10 year old cell phone cameras, about iphone 4 level) and in stereo.

There seem to be a bunch of Israeli startups---there is strong expertise in military radar and signal processing and it seems to be filtering to commercial applications.

I think L4 is very doubtful ever on current sensor set and lack of semantic mapping.

Vision-only is a mistake. The problem with the old radar was that it was too low resolution, not that it was radar. There are much better radar chipsets now with AESA like scanning & imaging capability (and will be less expensive and more reliable than lidar). For optical data, they should use higher resolution cameras (current ones are worse than eyes by quite a bit, they're like 10 year old cell phone cameras, about iphone 4 level) and in stereo.

There seem to be a bunch of Israeli startups---there is strong expertise in military radar and signal processing and it seems to be filtering to commercial applications.
From what I understand part of the problem with radar is not just resolution but also calibration with the other sensors. If you can’t reliably calibrate two sets of input it’s hard to use them together.

... Stop teasing me if it is still going to be awhile before FSD is actually L4.
Is he still saying L5 by next year? I think hoping for L3 is better regardless of what Elon says. L3 in stop and go traffic on limited access freeway. Do we need pothole detection to work first? I'm optimistic mobileye is going to have mass L3 by 2025, so Elon has 3 years, otherwise Tesla will be behind. @Bladerskb If Merc actually does L3 like they say they are going to do (this year in the U.S.?) then I'll be tempted to buy a merc.

Last edited:
Is he still saying L5 by next year? I think hoping for L3 is better regardless of what Elon says. L3 in stop and go traffic on limited access freeway. Do we need pothole detection to work first? I'm optimistic mobileye is going to have mass L3 by 2025, so Elon has 3 years, otherwise Tesla will be behind. @Bladerskb If Merc actually does L3 like they say they are going to do (this year in the U.S.?) then I'll be very tempted to buy a merc.
I don't recall when was the last time he said L5 by next year. Recently the main thing i've heard Elon say is FSD Beta by end of year. We all know that means at best it'll be a summon like release. Shaky L2 driver assistance that most people won't use when they realize it's not good. (At least that's a realistic goal lol)

Mobileye is saying mass L4 by 2025 on the Zeekr 001.
Really ? Earlier they were saying L4 by 2024.

With an anticipated debut in China in 2024, the new all-electric Zeekr vehicle is expected to be the world’s first consumer AV with L4 autonomous capability.​

Reactions: diplomat33
Really ? Earlier they were saying L4 by 2024.

With an anticipated debut in China in 2024, the new all-electric Zeekr vehicle is expected to be the world’s first consumer AV with L4 autonomous capability.​

I stand corrected. Thanks. They plan to debut consumer L4 in China in 2024. If they are successful, we could see mass L4 by 2025.

So whatever happened to 10.12?
They are trying to get the cameras to work....any month now..😁

SQ.jpg

Not sure what you mean by "mass". Are you talking 10k / 100k / million cars in 2025 ?

"mass" means wide spread, large numbers. I don't know how many cars Zeekr is planning to produce in 2025. So it is hard to put a number to it. But certainly, when Zeekr starts mass producing consumer L4 where they are making like thousands per day, I would probably consider that "mass".

"mass" means wide spread, large numbers. I don't know how many cars Zeekr is planning to produce in 2025. So it is hard to put a number to it. But certainly, when Zeekr starts mass producing consumer L4 where they are making like thousands per day, I would probably consider that "mass".

With about 6,000 deliveries of its 001 sedan in 2021 (deliveries began in late October), Zeekr is aiming for 70,000 in 2022 and 650,000 by 2025.

Yes, by any measure that would be mass production. If Tesla can't get FSD to work by then, Zeekr can pull it off, MobilEye would have beaten Tesla to mass produced self-driving consumer cars with wide ODD.