Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are referring to the windows OEM model where you pay the Windows license fee as part of each computer purchase? The OEM version of windows is not transferable to a new computer even if it's compatible. If you buy a PC that has no OS, you cannot move it to the new computer.

Or maybe you are referring to the smartphone OS software model where you pay the OS license fee with every phone that you buy and cannot transfer that license to a new phone? Try asking Apple for a discount because you are replacing a broken iPhone and already bought the OS with your broken one.
for every example here you gave, I can name hundreds of software license that's transferrable.

But let's stick with your MSFT example.... Windows Retail (remember, OEM is "free") and Office suites ARE transferable. Your OEM example would be more like AP because it's part of package. FSD is more like paying Retail.

So I actually think you made the argument for us and opposite of your intent. Imagine you buy an app on your mobile devices, when you get a new phone, you have to buy them again...... that's more like the analogy of FSD.

Reactions: momo3605
So Tesla will need to "support" it.
Do you have that in writing? Who supports a 10 year old smartphone? Does Ford still sell parts for a 1960 Falcon?

If you purchased FSD, then the software installed in your car should continue to operate as long as the car is functional. But, at some point, Tesla will stop supporting it, just as they will stop providing spare parts.

FYI that is true of a retail windows license.

It is NOT true of an OEM license.

An OEM license is tied to the device it was loaded on by the OEM- it's not legal to transfer it to another computer.

So that would be like Tesla's OS with AP. FSD is like the software you purchased but only sticks to that computer. 5 yrs later you decided to upgrade to another computer, you have to buy the same software again. re: mobile app analogy above. Make no sense.

Do you have that in writing? Who supports a 10 year old smartphone? Does Ford still sell parts for a 1960 Falcon?

If you purchased FSD, then the software installed in your car should continue to operate as long as the car is functional. But, at some point, Tesla will stop supporting it, just as they will stop providing spare parts.
Support the software.... they will also support the software. or do you think they will do EOS on the $10k of software you paid in 3 yrs? 5 yrs?

So that would be like Tesla's OS with AP. FSD is like the software you purchased but only sticks to that computer. 5 yrs later you decided to upgrade to another computer, you have to buy the same software again. re: mobile app analogy above. Make no sense.

This is not correct though.

All cars have the same OS and software.

Certain features (like FSD, or acceleration boost) are enabled or disabled based on flags set in the config file.

This is why buying those features after vehicle purchase don't require a firmware update to enable them- the software came with the car, it just needs to be told it's ok to unlock the feature.

And no OEM Windows software is not "free"

Not only does the OEM pass the cost on in the price of the PC, many offer an added paid upgrade if you want say Pro instead of Home edition of that OEM software (even though, just like with Tesla, the actual software is the same it's just a config difference with the DPK)

So just as if you pay to get OEM FSD enabled on your Tesla it remains tied to the hardware-- so too does if you pay to get OEM Windows 10 Pro enabled on your PC it remains tied to the hardware.

for every example here you gave, I can name hundreds of software license that's transferrable.

But let's stick with your MSFT example.... Windows Retail (remember, OEM is "free") and Office suites ARE transferable. Your OEM example would be more like AP because it's part of package. FSD is more like paying Retail.

So I actually think you made the argument for us and opposite of your intent. Imagine you buy an app on your mobile devices, when you get a new phone, you have to buy them again...... that's more like the analogy of FSD.
OEM is not free. The cost is just not included in the purchase price. And all you are saying is that developers structure their licenses in multiple ways. I don't dispute that. I just gave some examples of common software that people buy that is NOT transferable. So, in the case of Windows, Microsoft will sell you a higher priced retail version that is transferable vs the OEM license. They likely price that assuming a certain average number of transfers. If you keep running that version forever, than you win (sort of).

In the end, Tesla can price their software however they like. I believe that they will eventually abandon sale of FSD licenses in favor of subscription-only. But time will tell.

This is not correct though.

All cars have the same OS and software.

Certain features (like FSD, or acceleration boost) are enabled or disabled based on flags set in the config file.

This is why buying those features after vehicle purchase don't require a firmware update to enable them- the software came with the car, it just needs to be told it's ok to unlock the feature.

And no OEM Windows software is not "free"

Not only does the OEM pass the cost on in the price of the PC, many offer an added paid upgrade if you want say Pro instead of Home edition of that OEM software (even though, just like with Tesla, the actual software is the same it's just a config difference with the DPK)

So just as if you pay to get OEM FSD enabled on your Tesla it remains tied to the hardware-- so too does if you pay to get OEM Windows 10 Pro enabled on your PC it remains tied to the hardware.

Feature flag.... That's their deployment model, not licensing model.

I can't think of any software that you pay separate on top of your hardware purchase that can't be transferred to the next compatible hardware.

Feature flag.... That's their deployment model, not licensing model.

I can't think of any software that you pay separate on top of your hardware purchase that can't be transferred to the next compatible hardware.

I mean- I literally just cited one.

Some PC OEMs charge a separate fee to "upgrade" your OEM, not-transferable, Windows to Pro rather than home. Even though it's the same actual software and the 'edition' is just a feature flag based on the DPK.

I mean- I literally just cited one.

Some PC OEMs charge a separate fee to "upgrade" your OEM, not-transferable, Windows to Pro rather than home. Even though it's the same actual software and the 'edition' is just a feature flag based on the DPK.

no, you didn't pay Microsoft for the OEM, the hardware manufacture did. You paid for the hardware and therefore the right to use it. Microsoft sold those licenses to hardware vendor, you paid them for the rights to use it with their hardware.

no, you didn't paid for OEM, the hardware manufacture did. You paid for the hardware and therefore the right to use it. Microsoft sold those licenses to hardware vendor, you paid them for the rights to use it with their hardware.

Again this is factually wrong.

And the OEM charges you for the feature flag unlock

See example from a Lenovo OEM windows license where they "include" Home edition (you are BEING CHARGED FOR IT IN THE PRICE OF THE HW) but they also charge added money to unlock the Pro version, which is just a feature flag.

SAME AS TESLA DOES.

upgrade.png

Reactions: Doggydogworld
@AlanSubie4Life is on notice. Be thankful that there's anything in the glass.
Elon’s a little crotchety; things aren’t going well for him today. (He’s going to be saddled with a whistleblower suit right after he completes acquisition of Twitter.)

That being said, I think it is silly to say they should focus on things other than Chuck’s turn. They clearly are…see the release notes. And Chuck’s turn advances a bunch of capabilities that are essential.

Also, what did people expect? To not have to intervene in a bunch of places? Super odd to expect that at this very early stage of development.

Provide specific information on specific problems.

On the other hand, I guess this explains why no one hits the report button in the videos of the highly publicized errors posted so far.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I guess this explains why no one hits the report button in the videos of the highly publicized errors posted so far.

LOL, "negative" feedback getting criticized by an officer of the company, and by veiled threat risking losing access to the beta test. Are we moving back to a stealth NDA? To be fair, I suppose James' comment was more of a public criticism of the Company Plan than direct feedback about a specific driving report, but as he's a customer, not an employee so what if he did..?

Last edited: