Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, "negative" feedback getting criticized by an officer of the company, and by veiled threat risking losing access to the beta test. Are we moving back to a stealth NDA? To be fair, I suppose James' comment was more of a public criticism of the Company Plan than direct feedback about a specific driving report, but as he's a customer, not an employee so what if he did..?
Not sure what you were replying to. I was supporting Alan's comment on drivers posting videos of Teslas doing odd/stupid/dangerous maneuvers that are never pressing the video report button on screen - which is the main thing we Beta testers are supposed to do.

It's pretty obvious they're going to want subscriptions, for ongoing recurring revenue-- not one time purchases, in the long run. Especially if people are using it commercially for profit.

A one-time purchase that is good for life of the purchaser is exactly the opposite of a way to accomplish that goal. Purchasers tend to have much longer lifespans than vehicles.

Originally Tesla planned on sharing Robotaxi revenue with customers that offered their vehicle on the Tesla fleet network.

This would have provided Tesla with reoccurring revenue. In fact the original language stated that a customer had to use the Tesla fleet network, and could not use a different service.

I'm not saying this because I have any disagreement with what you're saying, but just as detail that might have been lost to the sands of time.

Not sure what you were replying to. I was supporting Alan's comment on drivers posting videos of Teslas doing odd/stupid/dangerous maneuvers that are never pressing the video report button on screen - which is the main thing we Beta testers are supposed to do.
I'm supporting you and Alan. Just included you to give support to your reply also.

I thought Alan was commenting on the Elon rebuke of James in the tweet he included, by saying that drivers may not be reporting because of fear of feeling they can't criticize. Maybe I was wrongly interpreting Alan's point.

Oh well, sorry if I didn't get that right.

I thought Alan was commenting on the Elon rebuke of James in the tweet he included, by saying that drivers may not be reporting because of fear of feeling they can't criticize. Maybe I was wrongly interpreting Alan's point.
That is what I was saying, though I was being facetious (I doubt Telsa would care about direct reports to them). (And I was specifically referring to 10.69 and a couple of widely reported videos showing FSD making mistakes.) I think drivers of 10.69 don’t report specific incidents because they think FSD is doing great and they are going for a sweet YouTube video with zero disengagements. (Also being facetious, sort of.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dan D.
That is what I was saying, though I was being facetious (I doubt Telsa would care about direct reports to them). I think drivers of 10.69 don’t report specific incidents because they think FSD is doing great and they are going for a sweet YouTube video with zero disengagements. (Also being facetious, sort of.)
Interesting side point. Should Elon be posting facetious comments in regards to FSD Beta? I'm sure there are examples of him doing so. (too lazy to reference them ATM)

facetious: treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor, flippant

I guess that's what rubs people the wrong way sometimes (myself included), when he posts things that seem to be encouraging irresponsible behavior with FSD or making light of the seriousness of it. Nothing wrong with a good joke, but I take issue with his jokey FSD statements. It's like if the Boeing CEO made jokes about the Max program. It's not really funny, like are you taking it seriously?

Well he's entertaining. Hopefully the FSD team is taking their work seriously. I'm sure they are.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hopefully the FSD team is taking their work seriously. I'm sure they are.
I am sure they are. It actually must be pretty rewarding work to see the occasional video of a Tesla preventing unintended acceleration and sparing someone’s legs (if not their forearm), and knowing you helped prevent it. Seems like a pretty big incentive to keep working on this active background safety initiative and improving capabilities while keeping false positive rates low.

They probably feel even better knowing the take rate of FSD is going to go down, haha. Can focus on what matters!

I am sure they are. It actually must be pretty rewarding work to see the occasional video of a Tesla preventing unintended acceleration and sparing someone’s legs (if not their forearm), and knowing you helped prevent it. Seems like a pretty big incentive to keep working on this active background safety initiative and improving capabilities while keeping false positive rates low.

They probably feel even better knowing the take rate of FSD is going to go down, haha. Can focus on what matters!
Thats gotta be GREAT for morale. First the great AI/FSD whats his face goes on "sabbatical"....then take rate SURELY will start to drop..not go down...as you (allegedly) "improve" on your software.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
Thats gotta be GREAT for morale.
I’m sure there are plenty on the team who realize that even if FSD is not a product at all, most of the stuff they are working on continues unchanged, because basically all the same stuff has to be solved (occlusion, prediction, planning, etc.). And furthermore there will still be a hefty revenue stream to pay their salaries, even if there is no subscription model or upfront payment.

It doesn’t matter, in my opinion. It’s all (mostly) the same.

Interesting side point. Should Elon be posting facetious comments in regards to FSD Beta? I'm sure there are examples of him doing so. (too lazy to reference them ATM)

facetious: treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor, flippant

I guess that's what rubs people the wrong way sometimes (myself included), when he posts things that seem to be encouraging irresponsible behavior with FSD or making light of the seriousness of it. Nothing wrong with a good joke, but I take issue with his jokey FSD statements. It's like if the Boeing CEO made jokes about the Max program. It's not really funny, like are you taking it seriously?

Well he's entertaining. Hopefully the FSD team is taking their work seriously. I'm sure they are.
The fact he named it “69” says it all.

Because 69 and 420 are still so funny

Seems like some people are interpreting "early beta releases" as in the FSD Beta program overall, but he's probably referring specifically to the ".0" releases that typically have only gone to employees recently. Do we know if any pre-safety-score testers got 10.11.0 or 10.12.0? If not, it sounds like this group was specially added for 10.69(.0) maybe with some actual complaining/asking:

I suppose we'll see if this group gets another FSD Beta version at the same time as employees going forwards.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
No, but I kind of understand - James Locke’s tweet strikes me as just complaining that somethings not perfect becasue they spent time improving something else.

Perhaps but I think Elon still could have handled it better. I think a better response would have been something like "thank you for your feedback. We take all feedback to heart. The team did amazing work with 10.69. We know there is still more work to be done and the Team is working very hard to improve FSD every day"

Apple gives a pretty big discount for that.
You can ask here (select “other damage” to get cost for replacing a totally destroyed phone):

I assume if you trade in your old Tesla for a new one you’ll get a discount too…. (The value of the old Tesla)

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Perhaps but I think Elon still could have handled it better. I think a better response would have been something like "thank you for your feedback. We take all feedback to heart. The team did amazing work with 10.69. We know there is still more work to be done and the Team is working very hard to improve FSD every day"
True - like many people, Elon needs more of a delay and filter on Twitter.

I assume if you trade in your old Tesla for a new one you’ll get a discount too…. (The value of the old Tesla)
What if your Tesla looks like this? :p
Anyway, if you don't like Tesla's FSD software license then don't buy FSD!
Tesla could be way more clear about what they're actually selling though. If you pay $15k for FSD now will you eventually get a robotaxi or not?

1661350297610.png