Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I’ve ever wanted is L3 on highways (traffic or no) and that’s pretty much what I thought I was buying in 2018. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me in a consumer car. Tesla could have been there by now and been the first, but their naive and somewhat childlike CEO took the project a different direction.
Definitely not what I though I was getting and not what Elon was talking about.

Right.

Elon specifically said in the past that he's not interested in L3.
I suspect that we (HW3/HW4) will stay at L2 even as it continues to improve. It can be VASTLY improved to a possible L4 self driving quality but for legal, liability, insurance and regulatory reasons Tesla will keep it as a L2 system. So we will have a possible full self driving parking spot to parking spot experience but we will still have to be in the driver's seat, legally responsible and "driving" the car.

Of course only (LONG) time will tell. 🤣

Right.

Elon specifically said in the past that he's not interested in L3.
Elon says a lot of things then changes his mind or turns out to be false. L3 seems like a natural evolution of current FSD tech. I'm getting fewer nags. Seems we are heading in that direction.

Green comments that Elon mode removes the nags:

Idea for Tesla: Drop the price of FSD to $5K and have the none nag mode cost $15K.
If you prefer an article based on Green's long tweet thread: Tesla FSD Beta Has a 'God Mode' Called 'Elon Mode' That Changes Driving Behavior

Last edited:
I suspect that we (HW3/HW4) will stay at L2 even as it continues to improve. It can be VASTLY improved to a possible L4 self driving quality but for legal, liability, insurance and regulatory reasons Tesla will keep it as a L2 system. So we will have a possible full self driving parking spot to parking spot experience but we will still have to be in the driver's seat, legally responsible and "driving" the car.

Of course only (LONG) time will tell. 🤣
The big issue is liability. If and when the tech is good Tesla can say if you get Tesla Insurance and an accident happens on FSD then you won’t have to pay deductible. But the driver is still responsible… otherwise liability and jury awards will make FSD financially not feasible for years …

Reactions: DarkForest
Tesla could have been there by now and been the first, but their naive and somewhat childlike CEO took the project a different direction.
These posts are so funny. You're actually complaining that Tesla have not prioritised a goal of your choosing that they never had and never claimed to have.

'Tesla want something different than what I want, and it's their fault I bought their product so now I'm angry'.

Idea for Tesla: Drop the price of FSD to $5K and have the none nag mode cost $15K.
The whole reason the nags were introduced is because humans are irresponsible idiots who didn't supervise the car properly before, so I doubt this is ever going to happen.

You know how the publicity cycle will work:
[Tesla crash] -> The internet:"FSD TRIES TO KILL US ALL!1!!" -> [time elapses] -> [Official report shows driver in the back doing coke off a lap dancer's thigh at time of crash]

Reactions: Yelobird
Are you insinuating Tesla is never going to reach L3 or L4?
Not the OP but… What’s the upside for Tesla to provide it to:
1) Fools that paid upfront
2) Supporting 5 year old hardware

Autonomy only makes sense as a TaaS so that you can deprecate old hw and assume liability. You can work it like an insurance businesses and lower the price if your MTBF increases.

No they wouldn’t. They never sold anyone autonomy after march 2019 if you read the fine print.
"If you read the fine print"...There are about 100 quotes from Elon stating the opposite, including after the HW3 launch that all Teslas will be capable of full-self driving and robotaxi. He's even said it recently, even beyond "I hope or envision". Individuals have won law suits recently because of Elon's quotes.

"If you read the fine print"...There are about 100 quotes from Elon stating the opposite, including after the HW3 launch that all Teslas will be capable of full-self driving and robotaxi. He's even said it recently, even beyond "I hope or envision". Individuals have won law suits recently because of Elon's quotes.
I generally agree, but Tesla would claim “forward looking statements”.

I generally agree, but Tesla would claim “forward looking statements”.
They would lose.

They are either going to have to wait until all HW3 cars are dead until any car has real FSD, offer a retrofit, or a transfer.

There were a list of people that sued with MCU1 and Tesla eventually created a special FSD just for them.

It will be the same way.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
They would lose.

They are either going to have to wait until all HW3 cars are dead until any car has real FSD, offer a retrofit, or a transfer.

There were a list of people that sued with MCU1 and Tesla eventually created a special FSD just for them.

It will be the same way.
Retofits will never happen. They even said so. The new cars aren’t compatible with the old. I doubt there will be transfers. L2 until eol is the likely scenario.

Yes. Sell for 15k, refund 500. Sounds like a nice business.
Class Action Lawsuits never really help the victim as much as they should, but they do typically damage the company.

I suspect that FSD will be in Beta for the foreseeable future to try to avoid such thing, but eventually it will happen.

I also expect Elon to continue the whole "HW3 will be capable of Full Self Driving" campaign until it's actually not.

Reactions: DasBoot and DanCar