Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..... An AV that disengages every 1 mile is still level 4 regardless of the error rate. An ADAS that disengages every 10 million miles is still L2 regardless of how insignificant the error rate is.....
You must mean L3 since L4's ADS is not allowed to disengage. If L4 goes beyond its ODD scope or any DDT failure it can pull over and stop driving but it can't just disengage or ask for help driving.

Screenshot  SEA.png

• Informative
Reactions: Bitdepth
You must mean L3 since L4's ADS is not allowed to disengage. If L4 goes beyond its ODD scope or any DDT failure it can pull over and stop driving but it can't just disengage or ask for help driving.

That is correct but there is one exception: a safety driver is allowed to disengage a L4 system during testing/validation. That's kind of the whole point of testing L4 with safety drivers, that they will disengage the L4 when the L4 makes a mistake and the company can review the disengagement logs to improve their L4 system. We see that with all the L4 companies who submit CA DMV disengagement reports every year.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bitdepth
You must mean L3 since L4's ADS is not allowed to disengage immediately. If L4 goes beyond its ODD scope or any DDT failure it can pull over and stop driving but it can't just disengage or ask for help driving.
FTFY

Good morning. That's a misconception of what disengagement means, all stages of automation are allowed to disengage but at higher levels, certain conditions apply.

J3016 pages 21 - 23

L1 - L2 = DAS can disengage at any time without notice and immediately
Dgb3uGS.jpg

L3 = The ADS has to request a takeover before disengaging
OS5fLBh.jpg

L4 - L5 = The ADS has to achieve a minimal risk condition before disengaging.
gMWfn2L.jpg

Moreover, we're talking about vehicles in development which is what this discussion is about. Safety drivers are allowed to disengage when they sense an issue is imminent. The vehicles don't need to come to a minimal risk condition before it disengages upon request from a safety driver.

This should mean that people on 11.3.6 software versions we'll start getting 11.4.4. So far, however, no Hardware 4 cars have received it:
1692792328544.png

Also, so far no existing11.4.4 users (like me) who are still operating on aging software 2023.7.20. Perhaps we will get 11.4.7 ( or .8 or whatever) still in an older software wrapper, before we get caught up to a mid-2023 release.
1692792867722.png

Reactions: edseloh
Well, we are Thursday of "next week" from when Elon promised the V12 livestream and still no livestream. Will it happen or will be another missed deadline? Not looking good. I'm thinking the demo won't happen this week.
It is simple de-ja vu. Elon was hyping V11 as "mind blowing" a full year before it was actually ready for release.

Or statements at shareholder conferences, earnings calls, interviews with the media or, better yet, word salads on Autonomy Day 2019
Right, what Elon has established for me with all of his forward looking statements regarding FSD, Tesla in general, and even SpaceX (Starship) is that nothing that Elon says with regard to forward looking statements - either timeline or capability - has any connection to reality whatsoever. What strikes me as most odd, however, is how many people actually still listen to him and report his statements as somehow prophetic of what is coming next?!?

Right, what Elon has established for me with all of his forward looking statements regarding FSD, Tesla in general, and even SpaceX (Starship) is that nothing that Elon says with regard to forward looking statements - either timeline or capability - has any connection to reality whatsoever. What strikes me as most odd, however, is how many people actually still listen to him and report his statements as somehow prophetic of what is coming next?!?
Waddya mean?
He hit his 2010 target of a man on Mars by 2020