Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY has HW4 in the US, not overseas...There's no bumper camera on the M3 Highland, so probably not coming to the MY.
It looks like it may have a camera. Keep in mind the cars at the events were preproduction models. This is what Tesla shows on the Chinese Tesla site (played with the contrast).

Added a couple more.
Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 1.23.33 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 1.24.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 1.14.41 PM.png

Last edited:
The hands on video review showed it didn't. That's likely just part of the grill, unless it's optional, but knowing Tesla, I doubt that. Why would they give one without it to reviewers?
As I said the Hands on were with preproduction cars (according to Car Wow who did a test drive).

Paraphrase: Said they were preproduction, with special tags and only approved to drive on a certain route and could not deviate from it.

Reactions: DanCar
You posted Fully Charged. Here is Car Wow's (clip of when he says it).

I can't listen, does he say there's a bumper camera coming? Because I haven't seen anything of substance confirming it. All of the high quality oictures and videos don't have it.

Yeah obviously this would not work.

They’ll use their HD map they are already using, and read all signs (some cars of course will need better cameras). It’ll all be a mish-mash.

Don’t read too much into Elon’s statements. He’s a salesman - he does not need to communicate accurately what they are actually doing or planning to do.
There is simply no way FSD all over the world can work purely on one end-to-end network. There has to be a set of "defaults" parameters that tell the car what to do when there is no signage.

Or for that matter when there is a speed zone sign with timings. That would be impossible to train without current time as a parameter (and perhaps a year of training until NN gets it).

This is the reason MobilEye and others think end-to-end NN is not achievable.

No he was saying they weren't production cars. Here is Tesla Daily clip looking at it. I'm not saying there is one but it sure looks like one to me.

Tesla has updated the images on their website to not show what looked like a camera. I think it's pretty safe to say that the current version does not have a bumper camera.

Reactions: DanCar
Tesla has updated the images on their website to not show what looked like a camera. I think it's pretty safe to say that the current version does not have a bumper camera.
One can theorize that it is coming as a later upgrade. I do recalling reading about project highland and that upgrades will continue into Q1. More specifically the text said that project highland wouldn't be completed until Q1.

Last edited:
If Walter Isaacson is to be believed,
From the CNBC article:

"Four months later, the new system was ready to replace the old approach and become the basis of FSD 12, which Tesla plans to release as soon as regulators approve."

Emphasis mine.

I find that such an odd statement. It suggests that the software is ready to be released, but that the regulator approval process is preventing them. But if treated as a null statement, it just means that they'll work to get it running, then go through the regulatory approval process, then send it out.

Do regulators have to approve each release of FSDb or is the new software so outside the envelope relative to V11 that they'll likely have to get some kind of approval for it?

Reactions: kabin