Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Model 3 UK orders start “in a few weeks”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want Premium / Long Range I reckon you'll get it "pretty much straight away". Reservation Holders were first in line after launch in USA, but production back then was very modest. Tesla are making 1,000 cars a day now ... if they move the Line over to Right-Hand-Drive for a few days to cater for UK/Oz backlog and then stick them all on the same boat, the difference between delivery for a 2-year-reservation holder, and you, will be days/maybe weeks, not months, IMO.

Thank you, it would be LR or premium I am considering anyway for the extra range so that is good to hear!

Does anyone know/have a good idea of what variants will be on sale? Essentially I have a firm budget of around 40 and that pretty much excludes most variants I assume?

The SR+ should start at ~£40k based on prices in mainland Europe. Keep in mind that the “Purchase Price” in the online configurator already includes the £3.5k government incentive.

Whether the SR+ will be available to order next week is of interest to me as well as that’s the car I intend to order. I give it 50/50, but these odds have improved over the last month or so (SR+ being available ahead of schedule in mainland Europe and talk of overall demand constraints for model 3). I’d be interested to hear what others think on this though.

Does anyone know/have a good idea of what variants will be on sale? Essentially I have a firm budget of around 40 and that pretty much excludes most variants I assume?

I would assume it'll be the Standard Range Plus, Long Range AWD, and Long Range AWD Performance, like in other European countries - at least until they rejig the lineup again... :D

But we'll find out on Wednesday/Thursday!

Yea, I'm pretty sure the options will be the same as in the rest of Europe. And order of deliveries probably will be from highest to lowest price. Tesla is guiding "up to 6 months" delivery time for SR+ in e.g. The Netherlands. So that might still be a wait...

Don't think previous reservation will have any serious meaning. Maybe delivery scheduled a week earlier. But based on the "delivery hell" I experienced in Europe even that won't matter and delivery order will be completely random, especially in areas like London.

Exciting none the less. When I was driving my Model 3 through the UK in March and April I met quite a few excited Model S/X owners at Superchargers. It's an amazing car to drive through UK countryside.

Elon has previously mentioned ~£33k for a base 3, do we think that is going to be ex VAT? Or is just a made up number we should ignore?

I'm also hoping for something around the £40k mark, but would really like a step up from SR+. Am preparing for disappointment tho :-\.

If you want Premium / Long Range I reckon you'll get it "pretty much straight away". Reservation Holders were first in line after launch in USA, but production back then was very modest. Tesla are making 1,000 cars a day now ... if they move the Line over to Right-Hand-Drive for a few days to cater for UK/Oz backlog and then stick them all on the same boat, the difference between delivery for a 2-year-reservation holder, and you, will be days/maybe weeks, not months, IMO.
Do you have a sense of how many orders there would have been prelaunch? And how many RHD Elon would be shipping per month? In short, how long do you feel it will take them to deliver cars ordered on May 1st?

Do you have a sense of how many orders there would have been prelaunch? And how many RHD Elon would be shipping per month? In short, how long do you feel it will take them to deliver cars ordered on May 1st?

There were no ‘pre-orders’ only reservations which in the U.K. means very little in terms of priority IMO (and based on Model S & X launches). They are churning out cars at a good rate now, so clearing a potential backlog of demand - especially for the the more expensive variants won’t take long at all.

Transit time is a couple of months, shorter than normal as they aren’t going via the Tilburg rebuild / import tax get around. My guess is that they will be prioritising LHD for European deliveries for end of Q2, knowing they can’t get RHD delivered before end of the Q. Mid July for the earliest and then as many as they can get in for the end of Q3.

My guess is that they will be prioritising LHD for European deliveries for end of Q2, knowing they can’t get RHD delivered before end of the Q. Mid July for the earliest and then as many as they can get in for the end of Q3.

Interesting; Tesla are quoting June ... I wonder if LHD deliveries are overloading EU Service Centres, and running Freemont for a few days 100% on RHD gives them some options to balance deliveries in Europe. Of course that just overloads UK service centres ...

But if so might come sooner.than Q3

Interesting; Tesla are quoting June ... I wonder if LHD deliveries are overloading EU Service Centres, and running Freemont for a few days 100% on RHD gives them some options to balance deliveries in Europe. Of course that just overloads UK service centres ...

But if so might come sooner.than Q3

It’s also possible that they have already produced a bunch of RHD and they are enroute. The options range is very limited so it would be easy to produce plenty of cars that would be snapped up. Would be good load balancing between the LHD and RHD markets to max the deliveries without overwhelming one of the other.

Reactions: WannabeOwner