Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: EAP solved, on track for FSD completion in 2019 (No one else is close!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, because that is the exact opposite, what Musk said in the latest CC.
Steve Wozniak commented after doing each upgrade like I did:

"I've just been fed too many hopeful wishes and lies about the future and I've given up on Tesla and Elon Musk, believing anything they say," "I won't say the car's bad, but I won't believe this vision of the future is going to happen."
www.afr.com/technology/apple-cofounder-steve-wozniak-praises-microsoft-cofounder-paul-allen-20181016-h16ph2

Meanwhile my Tesla dealer agrees with Woz. They tell me that Self Driving cars are probably ten years off.

Meanwhile my Tesla dealer agrees with Woz. They tell me that Self Driving cars are probably ten years off.

Curious: Do you believe the Tesla Dealer was
strictly talking about Tesla's FSD Option will not be released for 10 years? Or no car company will have self driving for 10 years.

I found this interesting: Maybe the dealer would say since it is for a small area it does not count?
Waymo Set to Debut Autonomous Ride-Hailing Service to Select Arizona Users in December

Steve Wozniak commented after doing each upgrade like I did:

"I've just been fed too many hopeful wishes and lies about the future and I've given up on Tesla and Elon Musk, believing anything they say," "I won't say the car's bad, but I won't believe this vision of the future is going to happen."
www.afr.com/technology/apple-cofounder-steve-wozniak-praises-microsoft-cofounder-paul-allen-20181016-h16ph2

So if you paid for FSD as an option in a Tesla, can it go toward future cars?

Tesla is the only car company that sells a product (option) that does not exist.

So what you really meant to ask was, "What can the human eyes do that a camera cannot do?" This is a very different question than:

Either way you ask the question human eyes will not win.

Focus is not the same as measuring distance. The former is a "sensor" concept (eye/camera), whereas the latter is a "processing" concept (brain/computer). Autofocus requires both.

There are many ways to do autofocus, e.g. contrast detection or phase detection. Distance info can always be obtained from that (and is attached to the Exif file). You were trying to imply only human eyes could have depth perception which is certainly not correct.

Last edited:
Curious: Do you believe the Tesla Dealer was strictly talking about Tesla's FSD Option will not be released for 10 years? Or no car company will have self driving for 10 years.

I found this interesting: Maybe the dealer would say since it is for a small area it does not count?
Waymo Set to Debut Autonomous Ride-Hailing Service to Select Arizona Users in December

I am buying my daughter one of those Chrysler Vans...the hybrid version. Now if only I can get the Waymo upgrade...

Either way you ask the question human eyes will not win.

Can you explain what human can do that camera vision system can't?

Side stepping the question aside just want to make sure you know there is nothing human eyes can do that camera vision system can't.

The first question is a non-starter, and was already answered.

The second question is mildly interesting, and reasonable to assert that a single camera can provide as much useful information as a single human eye (perhaps even more). However, you are the only one who changed the context. Nobody was talking about the capability of the human eye versus camera technology.

Do you understand the difference between your words?

There are many ways to do autofocus, e.g. contrast detection or phase detection.

Processing tasks.

Distance info can always be obtained from that (and is attached to the Exif file).

Provide a single example or description of how processing camera image data from a single source results in distance information.

Also, EXIF is not a "file" or a file format. It is a standard used for including additional information (metadata) with an image (and other types of files not relevant to this conversation). EXIF data can be included in image formats such as JPEG and TIFF.

You were trying to imply only human eyes could have depth perception which is certainly not correct.

I implied that a single camera (much like a single human eye) is very poor at depth perception.

Provide a single example or description of how processing camera image data from a single source results in distance information.

Object recognition matches well know images that based on their size results in a distance estimation which can even be improved based on other known objects in its surrounding. Its not that closing one eye will make physics and measurements work differently.

Having stereoscopic vision has some benefits especially for objects nearby and improving the distance and size estimates but really these are not needed for autonomous driving.

I implied that a single camera (much like a single human eye) is very poor at depth perception.

Still, much better compared to a human! Single eyed humans do this *all* the time and computer vision too. Single eyed humans can without any problem participate in driving a car.

Ask a human the distance to an object or computer vision and the computer vision will likely have the best estimate. Also at larger distances stereoscopic vision is almost useless.

Reactions: mongo
Object recognition matches well know images that based on their size results in a distance estimation which can even be improved based on other known objects in its surrounding. Its not that closing one eye will make physics and measurements work differently.

I agree, knowledge of both the contents of an image and dimensions of items in an image can allow for distance measurement. However, this was not the matter being discussed. Did you miss the context of the discussion? I choose my words carefully as to establish and maintain context.

Having stereoscopic vision has some benefits especially for objects nearby and improving the distance and size estimates but really these are not needed for autonomous driving.

Do you know of any existing or proposed autonomous driving solutions that only use camera sensors and do not correlate the data between sensors? Again, note the wording per the context.

Still, much better compared to a human! Single eyed humans do this *all* the time and computer vision too. Single eyed humans can without any problem participate in driving a car.

Ask a human the distance to an object or computer vision and the computer vision will likely have the best estimate. Also at larger distances stereoscopic vision is almost useless.

This is why definitions and context are important. "Computer vision" is vague.

You may also want to research the adjustments, adaptations, and difficulties that one-eyed humans have with driving. To describe it as "without any problem" is rather dismissive.

So when Nav on AP is able to handle auto lane changes without driver input and thus is able to handle large parts of highway driving on its own without driver input and notifies the driver when it will need to disengage, I would think that comes pretty darn close to Level 3 Autonomy.

Not if it still keeps doing things like this...

or this 48 secs (almost slammed into back of car)

Last edited: