Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Different state, but did that mean you paid (sales?) tax over it or not, and was it included or excluded as base for the registration (property tax?) fee?
See this message quoted below from up-thread. The sales tax is not assessed on the FSD amount.

Regarding property and license tax issues, obviously those could be different in every state. Some states may look at the purchase price or leverage off of the state sales tax that was paid and recorded at the time; in those cases I guess it would be less. I think some states may simply assess based on registered year, make end model without regard for options and accessories.
Yes, I was instructed to place and accept the order with the $15K FSD option included. But then, when they did the final calculations, the $15K was subtracted.

The sales tax was not assessed on the $15K FSD. Just on the car price after all discounts minus the trade-in value.
For insurance purposes, you want them to acknowledge the replacement cost with FSD, so you want to make sure you have easy access to the MVPA document which should show that FSD was included even if not charged in cash. And/or speak to your insurance agent about it - this is a consideration for people who buy FSD after the initial vehicle purchase. You want a record that the car includes this and needs to be considered in replacement valuation.

Reactions: frankvb
I hate it when people say this. No one got it for 2-3k because it had a pre requisite purchase of Enhanced autopilot for 5k back then. So at least be accurate and say "great deal for anyone who got FSD early for a cost of 8k, or 7k during a specific 4 week time frame between march and april of 2019.
When I received my car in early 2017, I purposely did not order any TACC, AP or EAP as I simply wanted to drive the car and was fine with “dumb” cruise control.

During the fire sale in 2019, I received TACC, AP, EAP and FSD for 5k total.

For 5k, I think it was worth it for current feature set. I wouldn’t pay 15k for it though. Without this deal, I would stick with delivered basic AP.

They will only have Standard autopilot. Nothing else unless they subscribe for it. The transfer has to be made while it is titled to you. My adviser detailed this out to me on visit.
Got it.Another point in question how to request for beta FSD to new Model X and when I order new Model that I do not add EAP and Beta FSD to the order and thus save $15000.Am I correct.

When I received my car in early 2017, I purposely did not order any TACC, AP or EAP as I simply wanted to drive the car and was fine with “dumb” cruise control.

During the fire sale in 2019, I received TACC, AP, EAP and FSD for 5k total.

For 5k, I think it was worth it for current feature set. I wouldn’t pay 15k for it though. Without this deal, I would stick with delivered basic AP.

You still didnt pay "2 or 3k" for it, like the person I quoted said, and like all sorts of people try to say about FSD ("it used to be 2-3k now its 15k?!?!? no way!"

See this message quoted below from up-thread. The sales tax is not assessed on the FSD amount.

Regarding property and license tax issues, obviously those could be different in every state. Some states may look at the purchase price or leverage off of the state sales tax that was paid and recorded at the time; in those cases I guess it would be less. I think some states may simply assess based on registered year, make end model without regard for options and accessories.

For insurance purposes, you want them to acknowledge the replacement cost with FSD, so you want to make sure you have easy access to the MVPA document which should show that FSD was included even if not charged in cash. And/or speak to your insurance agent about it - this is a consideration for people who buy FSD after the initial vehicle purchase. You want a record that the car includes this and needs to be considered in replacement valuation.
Thank you, had not noticed that message.

However, I just asked my Tesla sales rep, and got exactly the opposite answer. He says it will be on the window sticker. Could be because of a difference in state tax treatment.

One thing I'm now wondering, if instead of trading in to Tesla, I just hold on to it until I take possession of the new Y, and then start the FSD transfer, the FSD can never end up on the window sticker. I'd just sell the old Y immediately after the FSD transfer to Carvana/Carmax/etc.

Reactions: RayB and RED MDL3
Got it.Another point in question how to request for beta FSD to new Model X and when I order new Model that I do not add EAP and Beta FSD to the order and thus save $15000.Am I correct.
When I submitted (and a few posted same) you add FSD to the new car selection and when it arrives And they confirm the transfer from your old car Vin then the value (15k) is subtracted from the order.

One thing I'm now wondering, if instead of trading in to Tesla, I just hold on to it until I take possession of the new Y, and then start the FSD transfer, the FSD can never end up on the window sticker. I'd just sell the old Y immediately after the FSD transfer to Carvana/Carmax/etc.
You don't have to trade in your car, but you have to do the transfer before you take delivery. Tesla says they might remove FSD from your old car up to a week before you take delivery.

Reactions: Yelobird
Thank you, had not noticed that message.

However, I just asked my Tesla sales rep, and got exactly the opposite answer. He says it will be on the window sticker. Could be because of a difference in state tax treatment.

I asked this also as a consideration to giving my daughter my old MYP w/FSD. You can’t transfer it later. You order the car with FSD and submit for the transfer from your old car Vin then you can sell it when you want. (They will pull it then) They clearly don’t want anyone playing a used car scam and pulling it from an unknowing new owner.

I asked this also as a consideration to giving my daughter my old MYP w/FSD. You can’t transfer it later. You order the car with FSD and submit for the transfer from your old car Vin then you can sell it when you want. (They will pull it then) They clearly don’t want anyone playing a used car scam and pulling it from an unknowing new owner.
Just realised that is well as it's one of the conditions 'this offer can not be applied retrospectively after the new vehicle has been delivered'.

Pretty annoying. So there is no way to avoid paying CA registration fees over the additional $15K forever (using the DMV depreciation table).

What a mess. I inquired about upgrading my MY to a new one with trade in to take advantage of the FSD transfer and the sales guy is refusing to answer my questions through email or text. He's insisting on a phone call. Sketchy AF!
Why is a phone call sketchy??? You would prefer to Assume details of a text on a high value transfer? I clicked the “chat” tab on the Tesla site and then they called to confirm if I had any questions. Pretty straight forward to me.

Your question was answered above, but I wanted to point out that FSD Beta isn't supported yet on HW4, which your new X will have, so you'll get "regular" FSD which doesn't add much to EAP.

Reactions: Yelobird