Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is a phone call sketchy??? You would prefer to Assume details of a text on a high value transfer? I clicked the “chat” tab on the Tesla site and then they called to confirm if I had any questions. Pretty straight forward to me.
It shows aversion to having a written record and accountability for anything he says to me. Email is so much more effecient and organized. If I'm on the phone, now I'm taking notes which not only is a pain in the butt, but opens the door for errors, and for things to be misheard.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird
Just realised that is well as it's one of the conditions 'this offer can not be applied retrospectively after the new vehicle has been delivered'.

Pretty annoying. So there is no way to avoid paying CA registration fees over the additional $15K forever (using the DMV depreciation table).
Hmmm, even worse, the $15K will also attract sales/use tax. It's still a good offer but nowhere near a 'free' transfer.

You still didnt pay "2 or 3k" for it, like the person I quoted said, and like all sorts of people try to say about FSD ("it used to be 2-3k now its 15k?!?!? no way!"

True, I didn’t get the FSD part for 2K. But I did pay only 5k compared to what you state for the total because I didn’t have any of it.

“great deal for anyone who got FSD early for a cost of 8k, or 7k during a specific 4 week time frame between march and april of 2019.”

“Elon jumped in to clarify that, for owners who had already sprung for Enhanced Autopilot, Full-Self Driving is now available for purchase for $2,000.”

The best deal was for people like me that didn’t buy any of it originally but did get the whole thing for 5K.

Last edited:
As I already noted. The transfer is done Prior to picking up the car and after verification the cost is Removed from your invoice. Not taxed.
That's not what my sales rep is replying. I'd be happy if that would be the case. Do we have any CA confirmations about this?

Anyway fired off another email. Bit annoying that I can't get seem to get a correct answer on this from Tesla.

Last edited:
Anyone try to buy a discounted inventory vehicle on Tesla's website and couple it with a referral link from a friend or family member? Were you successful in doing that? I am getting an error processing the order and wondering if it is due to that.
I assume it’s because you’re an existing owner. The referral link only works for new Tesla customers. I think the only option you have is to use the loyalty reward.

It shows aversion to having a written record and accountability for anything he says to me. Email is so much more effecient and organized. If I'm on the phone, now I'm taking notes which not only is a pain in the butt, but opens the door for errors, and for things to be misheard.
Based on other anecdotes here, I think the reason he wants a phone call is so he can search the available inventory while he's talking to you about what you really want. The point of the exercise for Tesla is to pull the demand lever and move cars; that's maximized by talking to you in person (and it could even work to your advantage if you get what you want quickly).

I can understand you may prefer to communicated different way, but it's kind of harsh to say that a phone call is "Sketchy AF!". (BTW are you of the Millenial persuation? That could explain it :) ) Still less sketchy than walking into any other car dealer. And if you're closing on a deal and you're worried about some details, you can always write a little summary email covering the things you're worried about , and ask for his emailed response to that before you close the deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
That's not what my sales rep is replying. I'd be happy if that would be the case. Do we have any CA confirmations about this?

Anyway fired off another email. Bit annoying that I can't get seem to get a correct answer on this from Tesla.
Just got confirmation that indeed the $15K will go off before taxes and registration. Good to have that confirmed.

Based on other anecdotes here, I think the reason he wants a phone call is so he can search the available inventory while he's talking to you about what you really want. The point of the exercise for Tesla is to pull the demand lever and move cars; that's maximized by talking to you in person (and it could even work to your advantage if you get what you want quickly).

I can understand you may prefer to communicated different way, but it's kind of harsh to say that a phone call is "Sketchy AF!". (BTW are you of tge Millenial persuation? That could explain it :) ) Still less sketchy than walking into any other car dealer. And if you're closing on a deal and you're worried about some details, you can always write a little summary email covering the things you're worried about , and ask for his emailed response to that before you close the deal.
I already told him in my email that I'm not interested in existing inventory so you don't have a point there.
The fact is, it's a sleazy salesman tactic to get you to invest time in either a phone call, or a visit, because that investment statistically makes you more likely to make a purchase. It also serves to derisk things legally, because there is no record of what's been said. Objectivly sleazy all around.

BTW here's the latest reply I recieved after telling him 3 times that prefer to use email.

"Yes I took the time to look through all of your questions, over the phone or in person would be the only way to get these answered. Let me know if you would like to schedule time to speak with a showroom advisor!"

Best Regards,
David
Inside Tesla Advisor

Last edited:
Wow, I signed with original #4. Good to hear Tesla wasn’t being nasty about this nice transfer offer. I didn’t have buyer’s remorse anyway, but this is good news.
UPDATE: When I picked up my new Y today, I showed the FSD transfer contract to the salesperson. Of course, she didn’t even know the contract exists and being Sunday, no one in authority was at the dealership. She promised someone would call me Monday. Not really worried though.

I take full credit!! lol.
Problem is that only giving us about 4 weeks to decide and come up with the $ is rough. (since it has be delivered by 9/30, I assume I need to order it by then end of August.)
And he's clearly doing it to clear stock before the release of the 3 & Y updates.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
What a mess. I inquired about upgrading my MY to a new one with trade in to take advantage of the FSD transfer and the sales guy is refusing to answer my questions through email or text. He's insisting on a phone call. Sketchy AF!

I have a model Y and I'm considering upgrading due to this FSD promo. I went to test drive an X today and I LOVED the car so much!! But to be honest the tesla employee I worked with sort of made me feel bad / not very smart. Like I was out of place? I asked questions about the car like about the falcon doors and how they work, the yoke, and just normal stuff. Well I thought they were okay to ask anyway... they answered in a way that made me feel dumb for asking :/ with a sort of talking-down to me tone and like I was wasting their time.

They mentioned I would get 20,000 referral bonus points and could refer myself, and when I asked what that equaled in supercharging they made me feel like I wasn't very smart for asking at all. I asked "oh awesome, do you know how much that goes towards supercharging?" and they said "you cant buy a supercharger" in a tone like I was reaaaally clueless, even though they know I already have a model Y! I never got an answer to my question and decided to just let it go but I still don't know what 20,000 points gets you!

I never felt like they aggressively tried pushing me to upgrade like at other car dealers, but they did try and say "this promo can end at any time" several times. I said I read online that I had until the quarter ends and they interrupted me and said "you read a lot of untrue things about tesla online like on reddit, lots of people have biased opinions on us and elon musk because we are the most innovative company in the world". At that point I just said thank you so much for the test drive and that I had to go meet up with my partner now at another store in the mall we were at.

I still really did love driving the X! I felt so high up in it and safe. I liked having the driver dash screen, the cooled seats and it just felt like a nicer Y to me. The Y does drive nice but the X felt even nicer. While I definitely feel like I don't need to upgrade from my Y I can make the numbers work just fine financially and I think even feel really happy about getting an X, FSD4 and transferring my FSD! I am seriously considering buying it. But I do have to say, the way they handled me there left a bad taste in my mouth... and to be even more honest, the way Elon Musk has been these past few years kind of does bother me. Or sort of makes me feel worse about Tesla. I don't know if these are good reasons not to upgrade if I really do like it but it is making me second guess myself.

Last edited:
I have a model Y and I'm considering upgrading due to this FSD promo. I went to test drive an X today and I LOVED the car so much!! But to be honest the tesla employee I worked with sort of made me feel bad / not very smart. Like I was out of place? I asked questions about the car like about the falcon doors and how they work, the yoke, and just normal stuff. Well I thought they were okay to ask anyway... they answered in a way that made me feel dumb for asking :/ with a sort of talking-down to me tone and like I was wasting their time.

They mentioned I would get 20,000 referral bonus points and could refer myself, and when I asked what that equaled in supercharging they made me feel like I wasn't very smart for asking at all. I asked "oh awesome, do you know how much that goes towards supercharging?" and they said "you cant buy a supercharger" in a tone like I was reaaaally clueless, even though they know I already have a model Y! I never got an answer to my question and decided to just let it go but I still don't know what 20,000 points gets you!

I never felt like they aggressively tried pushing me to upgrade like at other car dealers, but they did try and say "this promo can end at any time" several times. I said I read online that I had until the quarter ends and they interrupted me and said "you read a lot of untrue things about tesla online like on reddit, lots of people have biased opinions on us and elon musk because we are the most innovative company in the world". At that point I just said thank you so much for the test drive and that I had to go meet up with my partner now at another store in the mall we were at.

I still really did love driving the X! I felt so high up in it and safe. I liked having the driver dash screen, the cooled seats and it just felt like a nicer Y to me. While I definitely feel like I don't need to upgrade from my Y I can make the numbers work just fine financially and I think even feel really happy about getting an X, FSD4 and transferring my FSD! I am seriously considering buying it. But I do have to say, the way they handled me there left a bad taste in my mouth... and to be even more honest, the way Elon Musk has been these past few years kind of does bother me. Or sort of makes me feel worse about Tesla. I don't know if these are good reasons not to upgrade if I really do like it but it is making me second guess myself.
Funny. The opposite of what a normal/good salesperson would do, which is to tell you that you're special, very smart, agree with all your opinions and empathize with how confusing things really are when answering your questions. Not necessarily sincere but at least optimistic and enthusiastic.

I have no idea what the compensation/ commission structure is for Tesla sales associates, but it doesn't sound like this one is cut out for sales.

I think you should decide for yourself, and maybe solicit comments on the Forum here. I'll just say that my general impression is that the X was a super cool vehicle when it was introduced, but it's kind of de-emphasized now and it strikes me that the S and X both are getting less attention and slower upgrades - but still have features above and beyond the mass market Teslas. In today's market, I think they're also extra expensive because of the lack of tax credit.

Those are very vague negatives, but I also say that I've been impressed by the ones I've written in through Uber and briefly in the Las Vegas Boring tunnel Loop. They clearly have more advanced suspension, the seating options are better than the Y and the driver display is much better. Faster too.

Also note that Elon drives an S, when he's not driving a prototype Cybertruck.

Anyway don't let the losing personality of the employee affect you. That's more reflection of the person and the Tesla sales organization and sales model, not things to affect your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dayreg and Yelobird

I still really did love driving the X! I felt so high up in it and safe. I liked having the driver dash screen, the cooled seats and it just felt like a nicer Y to me. The Y does drive nice but the X felt even nicer. While I definitely feel like I don't need to upgrade from my Y I can make the numbers work just fine financially and I think even feel really happy about getting an X, FSD4 and transferring my FSD! I am seriously considering buying it. But I do have to say, the way they handled me there left a bad taste in my mouth... and to be even more honest, the way Elon Musk has been these past few years kind of does bother me. Or sort of makes me feel worse about Tesla. I don't know if these are good reasons not to upgrade if I really do like it but it is making me second guess myself.
Guess your expectations were not met but possibly they just don’t know the credits to supercharge conversion. Going to your app and selecting the loot box explains in detail how many miles per credits that would be as well as other o-toons you could use them for. Granted I couldn’t tell you from memory either.

As I already noted. The transfer is done Prior to picking up the car and after verification the cost is Removed from your invoice. Not taxed.
That certainly is the tax result from my Model Y purchase this morning in Tucson. However, it wasn’t removed from my Purchase Agreement if you meant it shouldn’t even appear. Instead, $15,000 for FSD was included in the Cash Price but reversed two lines later as an Order Adjustment before the Tax Calculation.

I take full credit!! lol.
Problem is that only giving us about 4 weeks to decide and come up with the $ is rough. (since it has be delivered by 9/30, I assume I need to order it by then end of August.)
And he's clearly doing it to clear stock before the release of the 3 & Y updates.
Clear 3 stock before the refresh, probably, but clear Y stock? The last I heard the Y refresh will be in late 2024 and that’s based on Elon time. I was surprised HW4 for Y wasn’t delayed as it was for 3, but that may also be an indicator that the Y refresh is at least a year away.

That certainly is the tax result from my Model Y purchase this morning in Tucson. However, it wasn’t removed from my Purchase Agreement if you meant it shouldn’t even appear. Instead, $15,000 for FSD was included in the Cash Price but reversed two lines later as an Order Adjustment before the Tax Calculation.
Congratulations on the new car! ( and I hope you get your FSD back soon...)

It's a switch, if you had to come down from Chandler to Tucson to pick up your Tesla - until late 2022 at least, everyone had to trot up to one of the Phoenix-area SC locations to take delivery. Then they finally opened a respectable operation in town (quite near the major Auto Mall neighborhood, which is probably smart, but I saw very little sales energy when I dropped by there recently to buy wipers).

Did you drive and swap Teslas directly (trade in), or are you doing something else with the previous one?

Last edited: