Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes me wonder - if a car is totaled but the MCU is operational and has FSD - would someone have pulled that license already? Aka, buy a wreck.
Now that is a $64,000 question, LITERALLY. 🤔 🤣

EDIT: Reading #1 it could fall under the "...subject to a pending cancelation...". Tesla could plausibly say that they cancel FSD on totaled cars. But just speculation. Can you still have FSD on a salvaged vehicle?

Last edited:
1690580366077.png

WTF?! I'm sure this won't create any issues whatsoever.

Here is Tesla’s official statement on FSD transfers with terms and FAQs.

Full Self-Driving Capability Transfers​

Customers who take delivery of a new Tesla vehicle between July 20, 2023 and September 30, 2023 may qualify for transferring Full Self-Driving (FSD) capability from their current vehicle to their new vehicle.
If you transfer Full Self-Driving capability from your current vehicle to your new vehicle, your current vehicle will only have access to standard Autopilot features. If you would like to have Full Self-Driving capability features on both your current vehicle and your new vehicle, you can simply purchase Full Self-Driving capability for your new vehicle without participating in this offer.
Eligibility
To be eligible for this offer, you must:
  • Have your new Tesla vehicle delivered between July 20, 2023 and September 30, 2023
  • Have ordered your new Tesla vehicle configured with FSD capability
  • Be the legal owner and registrant of the current vehicle with Full Self-Driving capability purchased outright
  • Have the current vehicle and the new vehicle on the same Tesla Account
  • Agree to all additional terms and conditions
Note: Vehicles delivered prior to July 20, 2023, used inventory vehicles, vehicles used for commercial purposes and leased vehicles are not eligible.

It is all about 2 things. Driving 3ed qt sales and happen before the Highlander (and maybe even Juniper, but probably next year) is introduced which may happen 4th qt.

If it isn't sold by Sep 30th then that is in the distant future and has little relevance to Wall Street.
I understand that it's purpose is to boost quarterly results, but you can't screw the customer out of their $15k software purchase. according to their terms, if I buy a new tesla now, sell my old tesla now (stripped of FSD), and then tesla for one reason or another can't deliver my new car by Sept 30, I've now lost my $15K investment. Poof! Gone.

I understand that it's purpose is to boost quarterly results, but you can't screw the customer out of their $15k software purchase. according to their terms, if I buy a new tesla now, sell my old tesla now (stripped of FSD), and then tesla for one reason or another can't deliver my new car by Sept 30, I've now lost my $15K investment. Poof! Gone.

The T&Cs in the agreement I signed indicate that the transfer is only irreversible after one takes delivery. So presumably in your scenario, you would just keep FSD on your existing vehicle and then decide if you want to take future delivery or not. So I don’t think there is a scenario where one will have “lost $15k”.

They would have to reinstall FSD on your car. They can't "steel" it from you. Now it may be a cluster F$$$ to get it back and take a lot of texting and waiting because no one knows the procedure but legally you own it.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine that this FSD transfer offer is only going to be limited to Q3. First of all, many people won't have a chance to take delivery before September 20th, unless they order their car in the next week or so. Second, If this does stimulate repeat buying, why would they not offer this again? Lastly, this offer may have to be offered in the future to people with H3 who won't be able, otherwise, to get the fully autonomous driving they were lead to believe they would have, but can't, because H3 is not upgradable to the required H4.
Pretty sure anyone who buys a Tesla today is screwed as far as FSD. Their current disclaimers make a lot of references to customers basically getting screwed by Tesla as far as hardware upgrades needed in the future for FSD. Additionally Musk has already mentioned many times that there will be a HW 5 in the future, indicating that HW 5 will be necessary for FSD. Also, Highland and Cybertruck and I am sure Model Y Juniper, will all have a different camera suite, with more cameras placed in additional areas. I believe FSD will ultimately require this new camera distribution to work properly. Hopefully Tesla will also finally overcome the "surround view" limitation their current setup has, since obviously they can't figure out how to make the current camera setup give us this feature, unlike just about every other new car on the road for the last 10 years.

...Additionally Musk has already mentioned many times that there will be a HW 5 in the future, indicating that HW 5 will be necessary for FSD. ...
Logically and technologically speaking, this conclusion doesn't follow at all.

Note that when Elon made this mention of HW5, he specifically and preemptively refuted the conclusion that FSD would not operate on HW3 or HW4. In fact, the very reason he brought it up was to combat the idea that a new hardware generation automatically represents the death knell of existing hardware capability.

You are free to disbelieve him, but it's only fair to include his own explanation while you're citing the fact that he acknowledged an HW5 would come someday.

Aside from that, we are all more than familiar with the inexorable march of hardware. New computers, consumer electronics and so on, constantly evolve their hardware platforms without necessarily obsoletting or halting the development of software that continues to run on prior hardware.

As many have pointed out in these discussions before, at some point, two or three years after the introduction of a particular hardware generation, it becomes difficult and expensive to continue supporting and shipping the older generation. So even if it were possible to do so, the cost reduction opportunity of moving high volume production onto a new technology node will dictate that move.

Having said the above, I'm certainly not arguing that HW3 can definitely hold its own - it depends on factors that are unknowable. I will say that the present shipment of apparently "HW4 Lite" configurations, with only a subset of the expected camera upgrades and still without high res radar, does not clearly indicate the obsolescence of HW3.

EDIT: reading again you are posting my response, I really don't disagree that what you say is overall possible. I myself have really hope for a more significant camera placement upgrade plus the new radar. What prompted my response here was really the quoted section where you have tried to use elon's own HW5 comment against him, and that I think was a step too far. I'm not an Elon sycophant, but I have a lot of sympathy for him when people rip him apart for saying what he believes.

We'll have to see what comes with the Highland and Juniper updates that might have a heavier HW4 update. In the meantime, it's highly premature to announce the uselessness of HW3 or HW4, based on the obvious point that something else will come beyond that.

Last edited:
Re the 2018 cars that qualify: we went in and did the FSD transfer today. The rep said he needed to check if my 2018 Model 3 qualified. I told him about the posts I had read and that their sales app was out of sync with the (real) service app. In my case the car was not purchased with FSD and added later so it might not seem to qualify. But I clearly have FSD, running 11.4.4. He said there was an AP firmware code and it needed to be APF2. APF1 would not qualify. He pulled up the option code list in the computer and our car happened to be APF2 so all good. I don’t know the circumstances of how one would have FSD and be on this lower “firmware code”. Anyhow just passing that along.

And I also learned that I can’t sell the current FSD car until the transfer is complete. Pretty much rules out using cash from sale for the new car. Ie have to jump through some additional hoops. Either get a temp loan or sell stock or some such. Then after the transfer and sale of the old car repay/buy back.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
And I also learned that I can’t sell the current FSD car until the transfer is complete.
Correct. You can't transfer something that you don't own. So, you need to be the owner of your old car at the time of the FSD transfer. Makes sense.
On the other hand, the transfer can be done before the delivery of your new car, once the VIN is assigned.
The transfer doesn't take too long: in my case it took about an hour from signing the transfer paperwork and emailing it to my sales advisor.
Once the transfer is complete you can then sell your old car. Again, this all can be done ahead of the new car delivery.
So the sequence of events is a follows:
  1. Confirm with your sales advisor that your current car is eligible for the FSD transfer and that the new car delivery can take place by September 30, 2023.
  2. Place your new car order with the FSD selected (as I was instructed). Pay the $250 order fee.
  3. Once the VIN is assigned and delivery date is scheduled, initiate the FSD transfer with your sales advisor by signing the transfer agreement.
  4. Once the transfer is complete you can sell your old car or get a trade-in offer from Tesla.
  5. Arrange financing if needed.
  6. Take delivery of the new car.
In my case, since I was buying an inventory car, this was all done on the same day. But if you are ordering a new car from the factory, these events can be separated by days. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Yelobird and SO16