Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair that was over 2 years ago. Clearly they can't know everything they will be doing down to the last detail that far in advance. Gotta keep the MS the flagship.

Oh no..... That is NOT being fair.

Elon knows what he has told his shareholders and his customers don't let him forget. Give him credit for being the genius that he is and for not being forgetful. Elon and his team keep up with things better than that.
They know EXACTLY what was stated during the reveal and thereafter.

They measure their words very very carefully.

That was slightly tongue-in-cheek.
But then again, just deciding on color can keep me in there for a while...

Am thinking red again. Franz' car looks awesome. We're getting those wheels in the dark color, right?

That is my assumption given my belief that Franz's car was indeed a sneak preview of Performance trim (minus the chrome delete). That, plus a Tesla source had tipped me off a few months ago (and discussed at that time on my podcast) that "20" Sonic Carbon Stiletto" wheels were in Tesla's internal database. FWIW I hope so, as that's what I want! But I know that wheels are like jewelry -- everyone has their preferences and tastes. ;)

That is my assumption given my belief that Franz's car was indeed a sneak preview of Performance trim (minus the chrome delete). That, plus a Tesla source had tipped me off a few months ago (and discussed at that time on my podcast) that "20" Sonic Carbon Stiletto" wheels were in Tesla's internal database. FWIW I hope so, as that's what I want! But I know that wheels are like jewelry -- everyone has their preferences and tastes. ;)
I would be giddy as a schoolgirl if the chrome delete was part of the P package.
Perhaps someone who has Elon's ear on Twitter could suggest it. ;)

I don't recall if someone else already suggested this, but I was thinking about the advertised EPA range for all versions of the Model 3 LR being the same and it kinda makes sense if you look at it this way: The RWD, AWD, and P versions are all using the same PMSRM as the primary drive unit and the front induction motor in the AWD and P versions is just freewheeling until performance demands activate it, which is a situation that's outside of standard EPA testing procedures. Yes, the front motor would add some weight and some extra losses through freewheeling, but those two factors wouldn't cause a significant hit to an already sandbagged range rating, no?

Remember, the original P85 had the same EPA rating as the S85 because the rear drive unit was basically the same and the ability to put down more power didn't matter in the context of EPA testing because that capability is outside the boundaries of the testing.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
Roadtrips in an EV still requires more planning than an ICE/PHEV....supercharger or no supercharger. The one trip over 200 miles one way I make a year I'll take the no compromise ICE/PHEV.

Whether planning is involved is largely dependent on the range of the EV, and the charging network.

The LR version of the three gives you 300+ miles of range, and worst case you're talking 200 miles of real useable range. So any trip under 100 miles one way you can do without worrying about charging at all. So that's really zero planning.

If a trip is over 100 miles then there just needs to be a supercharger, and again in most cases it requires zero real planning. I don't really do any planning at all when I get into my Model S to go to Portland. I wouldn't do any planning for anything along the I5 corridor or along the coast.

So when do I take the ICE vehicle? A vehicle that doesn't have adaptive cruise control, and is less of a highway car than the Tesla. So it means I'm not going to take it unless I have to.

In WA state there are still parts of the state that don't have a convenient Supercharger on the way to. I'm not counting other chargers as those would require more planning (destination chargers, public chargers, etc). The goal is zero effort.

When I need an actual SUV. Tesla doesn't make a real SUV.

When I need flexibility. The Tesla is awesome for fixed determined trips, but when you might end up anywhere than the ICE is a better option.

When it was all said and done I didn't really drive my ICE vehicle that much. So I ended up ordering a 4x4 Sprinter van converted into an RV.

So I went even further into the polar opposite between my EV, and my ICE. To afford it I need to downgrade in cost from the S to the 3. But, the 3 has more range and further reduces the need for an ICE.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX and e-FTW
Whether planning is involved is largely dependent on the range of the EV, and the charging network.

The LR version of the three gives you 300+ miles of range, and worst case you're talking 200 miles of real useable range. So any trip under 100 miles one way you can do without worrying about charging at all. So that's really zero planning.

If a trip is over 100 miles then there just needs to be a supercharger, and again in most cases it requires zero real planning. I don't really do any planning at all when I get into my Model S to go to Portland. I wouldn't do any planning for anything along the I5 corridor or along the coast.

So when do I take the ICE vehicle? A vehicle that doesn't have adaptive cruise control, and is less of a highway car than the Tesla. So it means I'm not going to take it unless I have to.

In WA state there are still parts of the state that don't have a convenient Supercharger on the way to. I'm not counting other chargers as those would require more planning (destination chargers, public chargers, etc). The goal is zero effort.

When I need an actual SUV. Tesla doesn't make a real SUV.

When I need flexibility. The Tesla is awesome for fixed determined trips, but when you might end up anywhere than the ICE is a better option.

When it was all said and done I didn't really drive my ICE vehicle that much. So I ended up ordering a 4x4 Sprinter van converted into an RV.

So I went even further into the polar opposite between my EV, and my ICE. To afford it I need to downgrade in cost from the S to the 3. But, the 3 has more range and further reduces the need for an ICE.
Sounds like you are in a bit of a pickle.

Forgive me - that had nothing to do with the Model 3......I just love to use that phrase anytime I can.

I don't recall if someone else already suggested this, but I was thinking about the advertised EPA range for all versions of the Model 3 LR being the same and it kinda makes sense if you look at it this way: The RWD, AWD, and P versions are all using the same PMSRM as the primary drive unit and the front induction motor in the AWD and P versions is just freewheeling until performance demands activate it, which is a situation that's outside of standard EPA testing procedures. Yes, the front motor would add some weight and some extra losses through freewheeling, but those two factors wouldn't cause a significant hit to an already sandbagged range rating, no?

Remember, the original P85 had the same EPA rating as the S85 because the rear drive unit was basically the same and the ability to put down more power didn't matter in the context of EPA testing because that capability is outside the boundaries of the testing.

Weight makes negligible difference in range for a Tesla. It is basically always drag dominated, unless you spend long periods of time stuck in traffic, where HVAC and other auxiliary loads dominate.

Front motor adds some regen ability that may offset the extra weight being carried around.

I'm with you.
Also, Franz' car looks lowered. Looks great, but is that part of the package?
Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

We really need to stop comparing the Model S and Model 3. They are totally different cars that aren't in competition with one another.

Neither is the BMW 3 series in competition with the BMW 7 series.

They are in competition with each other.

All you have to do is to look at existing Model S owner. It's filled with people that bought this car because of a lack of other options. I bought it despite not wanting a space ship sized car.

So ANY other option IS competition.

The Model 3 is the ONLY competition for the Model S.

So Tesla has to differentiate the 3 in some significant way from the S. Even when that differentiation is something as common as a heated steering wheel. I can get a heated steering wheel in a Jeep Wrangler, but not in a 3.

They are also using a different tactic in differentiation, and that is time. As a Model S owner I was able to order a Model 3 just months after placing a reservation. It wasn't just a customer appreciation thing, but a way to force new buyers to still strongly consider the S. This would buy Tesla time to improve the S. As long as the 3 isn't in high production numbers then they have time to spruce up the S.

In a few years the S versus the 3 is going to be like the BMW 3 versus the BMW 7 series, but Tesla isn't there yet.