Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, I'm less concerned about speed in front of me than AP and lane intrusion warnings. I actually really wish Tesla had the lane intrusion warnings built into the side mirrors like some cars I've driven.

I am driving a leased Ford Fusion, and must say, the intrusion indicators built into the side view mirrors, are one of the features I value most.

Scannerman

Reactions: boaterva
lol

You still fail to grasp what i was saying despite spelling it out for you several times.

I specifically said the speedometer location wouldn't be an issue. I was questioning everything else that is currently displayed in the S/X second screen.

Don't lie to these people.
I don't want to bring this off topic, but my last photo showed my point. The green box would be the size of the autopilot display in the S/X. It is still further left of your A/C screen, and higher than your radio controls. So it does not simulate that either.

Are you saying you never find the need to check your speed, as you approach a curve with a posted recommended speed? I drove a truck for about 3 million miles, but never attained that level of intuitive speed sensation!

Scannerman
I usually hit 35 mph curves at 50-60 mph... but I'm in a car with decent tires. I don't need the exact number. In fact if I'm going too fast, I can feel it.

Not a redundant speedometer. The only speedometer. As far as looking anywhere else while driving - so if you're driving you're not supposed to switch audio inputs, or change the climate controls?

You aren't supposed to stare at those... no. Same with speedometer and mirrors for that matter, just a quick glance. In autonomous mode you can stare all you want.

Luckily, you can split the screen on the Model 3 for different tasks

Agreed, I'm less concerned about speed in front of me than AP and lane intrusion warnings. I actually really wish Tesla had the lane intrusion warnings built into the side mirrors like some cars I've driven.

I am driving a leased Ford Fusion, and must say, the intrusion indicators built into the side view mirrors, are one of the features I value most.

That is a great example of information that is already suffering from Tesla's minimalism on the Model S/X, but will continue to suffer even more in the Model 3.

In the Model S/X (once the Tesla blind-spot detection actually graduates from gimmicky to usable during AP2 development) seeing the warnings in the instrument cluster is less optimal than seeing it on the mirrors like on most competin brands, but at least keeping an eye on the instrument cluster is more intituitive than turning to look at a screen to your right side when thinking of turning left.

Reactions: Scannerman
You aren't supposed to stare at those... no. Same with speedometer and mirrors for that matter, just a quick glance. In autonomous mode you can stare all you want.

The justifications are amazing. I'm not saying staring at anything. I'm saying that having everything in the center screen can get messy or be distracting. Climate controls, speedometer, audio controls, etc.. Yes yes I know the steering wheel will have some controls. With the latest email from Tesla calling the 3 a simpler car, I'm beginning to think Tesla is trying to lower expectations significantly. But it's supposed to be the best $35k car you buy? Let's see what it finally has.

Ivwill be happier if you can split the screen down the center and have speed, charge, Regen ect on the left and nav/everything else on the right. Hopefully it is highly customizable. That would be a reasonable compromise.

Reactions: JeffK
The justifications are amazing. I'm not saying staring at anything. I'm saying that having everything in the center screen can get messy or be distracting. Climate controls, speedometer, audio controls, etc.. Yes yes I know the steering wheel will have some controls. With the latest email from Tesla calling the 3 a simpler car, I'm beginning to think Tesla is trying to lower expectations significantly. But it's supposed to be the best $35k car you buy? Let's see what it finally has.
The speed will be located in the same spot all the time, you'll get used to it pretty easily I'd fathom.

Yes and No. It has one, but it has no 'data'. It's only useful for supplying power to accessories like Dashcams, etc. This is why if you look up things like the 'driver monitors' that insurance companies sell to 'help you', you will see Tesla isn't on the available list.
I was asking because that HUD device that was listed requires an ODB port. That device would be useless in a Tesla.

I guess you wouldn't need the RPM's or Temp or Fuel Gauge information of the engine of a Tesla. lol

I was asking because that HUD device that was listed requires an ODB port. That device would be useless in a Tesla.

I guess you wouldn't need the RPM's or Temp or Fuel Gauge information of the engine of a Tesla. lol
Exactly... a lot of 'add ons' would work nicely if we could feed them data, unless the 3 is different, and we won't know if it will be (have a working OBD, I mean). Even a phone app is only going to have speed and nav (like Navdy) without it.

I would rather not lose 10 or 20 thousand dollars, just for the opportunity, to verify the practicality of this concept.

Scannerman
I guess the same thing could be said about EVs by someone who has never driven one before (not implying that you haven't). As already noted, the "concept" of having the speedometer to the right of the steering wheel is not unique the the Model 3 and has been in use for quite some time.

As already noted, the "concept" of having the speedometer to the right of the steering wheel is not unique the the Model 3 and has been in use for quite some time.
That's not exactly true. It's been tried several times in the past, as JeffK has pointed out. But in most cases, the automakers have given up on it, because buyers don't like it. Or they've gone out of business.

But what do I know? I've only driven an older Mini for 10 years, and I still don't like the stupid, gimmicky center mounted speedo.

The Prius isn't a good counterexample. Let's face it, Prius buyers are a uniquely loyal bunch - they'd buy just about anything with a Prius badge on it.

Reactions: Scannerman
The Prius isn't a good counterexample. Let's face it, Prius buyers are a uniquely loyal bunch - they'd buy just about anything with a Prius badge on it.

Prius speedo is also placed higher, more centrally, and more tilted towards the driver than the Model 3 speedo seems to be. After all, Prius has an instrument cluster (not even a central one but one aligned to the left of the center in LWD cars), not just a central screen like Model 3.

We were really looking forward to the model 3 but not so much now.
Sorry to hear that. I'm just as psyched as ever. I guess that might be an unintentional side effect of not being able to afford an S or X (and the fact that I currently drive a crappy truck). I'm just excited to be able to finally get a Tesla. I'm trusting that the driving experience will be good, even if it takes a little getting used to.