Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear that. I'm just as psyched as ever. I guess that might be an unintentional side effect of not being able to afford an S or X (and the fact that I currently drive a crappy truck). I'm just excited to be able to finally get a Tesla. I'm trusting that the driving experience will be good, even if it takes a little getting used to.

yeah because of the supercharger network lets be honest, Tesla is the only option

Reactions: apacheguy
I'm actually getting a little more positive about getting my car this year. If some of the more picky people are dropping out, and some others are waiting for AWD, and still others are putting off their order until they can actually sit in the car and decide whether central instruments are ok for them, that means I'm just being pushed further up in the line. The folks who already have Teslas can feel free to wait; like plankeye I'm eager to get an EV and grateful that it's finally going to be happening.

Not to mention that F1 style steering wheel would require F1 style low steering ratio. That "wheel" which is not a wheel (requires particular hand placement) would need to turn the wheels from full lock left to full lock right within 180 degrees turn of the wheel.

Why would you need to read the numbers on a steering-wheel-mounted-speedometer while you're turning a sharp corner? You won't be going close to any sort of official speed limit and your eyes will be busy looking elsewhere.

The speedo is only important once you straighten the car up and by then it will be easy to read since the steering wheel will be the right way up again.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18 and EinSV
Why would you need to read the numbers on a steering-wheel-mounted-speedometer while you're turning a sharp corner? You won't be going close to any sort of official speed limit and your eyes will be busy looking elsewhere.

The speedo is only important once you straighten the car up and by then it will be easy to read since the steering wheel will be the right way up again.

It's not about just reading the numbers or pushing buttons on the wheel. It's about controlling the steering of the car. That wheel shown was specifically designed to have hand placement at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (or there abouts) with very low ratio steering. It's not a "wheel" where you can spin the wheel and go hand over hand while spinning the wheel around over 360 degrees. It's not really a "wheel" at all, it's actually more of a "yoke" like an airplane might have. Anyway, an awful choice for normal a car.

It's not about just reading the numbers or pushing buttons on the wheel. It's about controlling the steering of the car. That wheel shown was specifically designed to have hand placement at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (or there abouts) with very low ratio steering. It's not a "wheel" where you can spin the wheel and go hand over hand while spinning the wheel around over 360 degrees. It's not really a "wheel" at all, it's actually more of a "yoke" like an airplane might have. Anyway, an awful choice for normal a car.

Yup.

Which is why i wrote "Okay this is waaaaaay too extreme"

Of course it can be a normal wheel. I was just suggesting that you could put a speedo on it somewhere not in the way of a) your hands or b) the airbag.

What about something that turns part of the screen a different color, say red or yellow, when you are 10+ MPH over the speed limit?

Something that you would pick up with your peripheral vision, without even having to glance at a screen?

To me, all I really want to know is am I going as fast as I can with out risk of a speeding ticket.

What about something that turns part of the screen a different color, say red or yellow, when you are 10+ MPH over the speed limit?

Something that you would pick up with your peripheral vision, without even having to glance at a screen?

To me, all I really want to know is am I going as fast as I can with out risk of a speeding ticket.
Well, Elon did say this:
Twitter

Not specifically a color change, but somehow highlighting speed based on situation/condition.

Of course it can be a normal wheel. I was just suggesting that you could put a speedo on it somewhere not in the way of a) your hands or b) the airbag.
The reason it is inconvenient for there to be any sort of meaningful information on the steering wheel is that it is much closer to your body and requires a greater shift in your line of sight plus will require much more time for your eyes to refocus there. This would be even worse with older drivers.

I realize your mirror comment was sracastic but they are a lot easier to use because, while still a departure from your normal line of site out of the windshield, they don't require a significant change in focal point.

Reactions: malcolm
Sorry to hear that. I'm just as psyched as ever. I guess that might be an unintentional side effect of not being able to afford an S or X (and the fact that I currently drive a crappy truck). I'm just excited to be able to finally get a Tesla. I'm trusting that the driving experience will be good, even if it takes a little getting used to.

At least your crappy truck is newer than my crappy truck ;) I do have power windows and cruise in mine though but I can't really use the cruise in traffic.

-- Back on topic --

I agree with the folks here that are talking about 'weird mobiles'. Let's face it the Prius is weird. I had a 2001 Toyota Echo. Did I mind the speedo in the middle? Not really but I much prefer it in front of me. Why did I have that car? Because we had a new baby and my Accord Coupe was unable to hold the huge car seat and my wife was unable to get it in the back. We had to go from 1 car to 2 cars quickly so she would have transport with the new baby. We were poor and had to basically keep the same payment so I bought the Echo with cash. It was a cheap reliable car. When someone talks about removing a screen to keep costs down I think of an Echo. Not a car competing with a BMW or Audi.

Anyway there are EV buyers and normal car buyers. I believe Tesla has done an amazing thing and convinced normal car buyers to buy their cars because they aren't 'weird'. I'll even say that the Model X with falcon wing doors isn't that weird. It is more 'Exotic' to me. Now look at the I3, Bolt, Leaf, Volt, Saturn EV1. Those are more 'weird' mobiles or 'blah' mobiles. I remember the first time I saw those cars and either hideous came to my mind or 'blah'.

After sitting in a Model S and seeing how great it looked it finally seemed like a car that most car buyers would get. It is super expensive is the problem. With the thought that Tesla would be coming out with something that is more moderately price it was pure excitement. Finally an EV that looked more normal. When I first saw the reveal I was disappointed by the interior and the front. The front has grown on me but the interior hasn't. It really seems 'weird mobile' to me. Will it stop me from buying the model 3? Probably not but at the same time I can't say I am not disappointed. I'm sure other things will disappoint me like the cupholders and other things that every car has that I'll be missing.

Now with that said I think Tesla might lose some business initially because of the wacky interior. If the car is as awesome as Elon says maybe it won't matter in the grand scheme of things. It is just a disappointment is all.

When I first saw the reveal I was disappointed by the interior and the front. The front has grown on me but the interior hasn't. It really seems 'weird mobile' to me.

Is the interior any weirder than this? (Nissan Murano)

2005-nissan-murano-4-door-sl-awd-v6-dashboard_100282398_m.jpg

That's ugly as hell! Especially for a "family SUV." It looks like a spaceship wanna-be.

At least the Model 3 interior has tasteful shapes and not a lot of hard, silver-painted plastic crap on the dashboard. I'd much rather not have a dashboard than this abomination.

The reason it is inconvenient for there to be any sort of meaningful information on the steering wheel is that it is much closer to your body and requires a greater shift in your line of sight plus will require much more time for your eyes to refocus there. This would be even worse with older drivers.

I realize your mirror comment was sracastic but they are a lot easier to use because, while still a departure from your normal line of site out of the windshield, they don't require a significant change in focal point.

I'm that age where I have to use vari-focal glasses. I tried out glancing down at the wheel vs the speedo. It felt okay.

YMMV.

Is the interior any weirder than this? (Nissan Murano)

2005-nissan-murano-4-door-sl-awd-v6-dashboard_100282398_m.jpg

That's ugly as hell! Especially for a "family SUV." It looks like a spaceship wanna-be.

At least the Model 3 interior has tasteful shapes and not a lot of hard, silver-painted plastic crap on the dashboard. I'd much rather not have a dashboard than this abomination.

Posting a really weird interior doesn't make another interior not weird. I agree with you that the Model 3 interior is nicer than that interior but I can always find something that is 'worse' than something else. We have a tendency to compare things to worse things and say 'at least my _____ is not as bad as that'. That doesn't mean that the thing you have is ideal.

Just remember the competition for the Model 3 is the BMW 3 series or a Audi A4.
BMW3.PNG

Reactions: ikjadoon
At least your crappy truck is newer than my crappy truck ;) I do have power windows and cruise in mine though but I can't really use the cruise in traffic.

-- Back on topic --

I agree with the folks here that are talking about 'weird mobiles'. Let's face it the Prius is weird. I had a 2001 Toyota Echo. Did I mind the speedo in the middle? Not really but I much prefer it in front of me. Why did I have that car? Because we had a new baby and my Accord Coupe was unable to hold the huge car seat and my wife was unable to get it in the back. We had to go from 1 car to 2 cars quickly so she would have transport with the new baby. We were poor and had to basically keep the same payment so I bought the Echo with cash. It was a cheap reliable car. When someone talks about removing a screen to keep costs down I think of an Echo. Not a car competing with a BMW or Audi.

Anyway there are EV buyers and normal car buyers. I believe Tesla has done an amazing thing and convinced normal car buyers to buy their cars because they aren't 'weird'. I'll even say that the Model X with falcon wing doors isn't that weird. It is more 'Exotic' to me. Now look at the I3, Bolt, Leaf, Volt, Saturn EV1. Those are more 'weird' mobiles or 'blah' mobiles. I remember the first time I saw those cars and either hideous came to my mind or 'blah'.

After sitting in a Model S and seeing how great it looked it finally seemed like a car that most car buyers would get. It is super expensive is the problem. With the thought that Tesla would be coming out with something that is more moderately price it was pure excitement. Finally an EV that looked more normal. When I first saw the reveal I was disappointed by the interior and the front. The front has grown on me but the interior hasn't. It really seems 'weird mobile' to me. Will it stop me from buying the model 3? Probably not but at the same time I can't say I am not disappointed. I'm sure other things will disappoint me like the cupholders and other things that every car has that I'll be missing.

Now with that said I think Tesla might lose some business initially because of the wacky interior. If the car is as awesome as Elon says maybe it won't matter in the grand scheme of things. It is just a disappointment is all.
You and I think a lot alike and couldn't have said better myself. I am sitting back and waiting to reserve final judgment until all is revealed. I still believe Elon has something up his sleeve and is not ready to let on as to not impact S or X orders.

Reactions: Sasmania
Also remember that you are comparing different angles in every car.

Yes I apologize for that. I just grabbed images off of the websites (and a photo for the Model 3) and stitched them together. Yes the angles are different. I know Tesla wants to be different. They just have to understand that the person that is cross shopping between the Model 3, A4, and 3 series have expectations. Look how similar the A4 and the 3 series are. The layout is almost identical. I was actually surprised by this when I got the images. I have been in both cars and I find the A4 nicer. Maybe the Model 3 interior will grow on me.

I can totally see why some people are upset. They are used to it a certain way and people don't like change. I don't like change either but I am trying to be open minded here. When I first saw the interior it was very jarring to me. Why I don't know but probably because I am so used to the other interiors.