Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Tesla vehicles will 'soon' talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Nope. This is not a joke. Elon said that Tesla is working on the cars 'soon' being able to actually speak to the driver or to people outside the car: Tesla vehicles are 'soon' going to talk, Elon Musk releases preview - Electrek

Let's not get too excited. From the teaser video, it sounds like it will part of the pedestrian warning system but instead of a random noise, it will be a pre-programmed sentence that the car will speak to pedestrians.

But this feature has a ton of potential. For example, during smart summon, the car could speak to pedestrians to let them know what it is planning to do. For FSD, this has a lot of potential. For the driver, I could see Tesla implementing responses to voice commands so that the car could reply when you ask it to do something. I could also see Tesla adding voice replies for alerts. For example, the car could speak "autopilot on" or "autopilot off" when you engage or disengage autopilot. The car could speak "hold the wheel" instead of a visual nag. The car could speak warnings like "regen low" or "low tire pressure" or "camera obstructed, autopilot features limited". Basically, all the alerts that we get now could be converted to a spoken alert. I think there would be a huge benefit in having the alerts spoken since people tend to pay better attention to something they hear, whereas they can miss a visual queue.

And ultimately, it could even lead to an AI 'personality' that can converse with us like KITT in Knight Rider. The technology exists now. Imagine just getting into your car and it talks to you about your calendar appointments or the traffic on your route and asks if you want to go to work, you say "yes" and it engages FSD and takes you to work. When Tesla finishes FSD, this would absolutely be possible.

I could also see Tesla adding voice replies for alerts. For example, the car could speak "autopilot on" or "autopilot off" when you engage or disengage autopilot. The car could speak "hold the wheel" instead of a visual nag. The car could speak warnings like "regen low" or "low tire pressure" or "camera obstructed, autopilot features limited". Basically, all the alerts that we get now could be converted to a spoken alert. I think there would be a huge benefit in having the alerts spoken since people tend to pay better attention to something they hear, whereas they can miss a visual queue.

1986 called, it wants its voice alerts back:

(skip to 0:40)

Last edited:
1986 called, it wants its voice alerts back:

(skip to 0:40)

When I was a kid, my parents were friends with someone who had one of those. I thought the "talking car" was the coolest thing ever.
Not gonna lie, I still love some of the crazy stuff they did to cars back in the 80s (my first car was a 1987 Subaru with a similar digital dash. It didn't talk though...)

I think the developers’ time would be better served getting Tesla vehicles to talk to each other - front and rear - to facilitate a kind of high speed train

The lead vehicle could signal its intentions to the one behind, and so on - so if it is going to exit, the next in line becomes the lead and so on

Even if not used in this way, front and rear communication of hazards would improve safety

I think the developers’ time would be better served getting Tesla vehicles to talk to each other - front and rear - to facilitate a kind of high speed train

The lead vehicle could signal its intentions to the one behind, and so on - so if it is going to exit, the next in line becomes the lead and so on

Even if not used in this way, front and rear communication of hazards would improve safety

search for 'v2x' (vehicle to anything). its being looked at, by some companies (no idea if tesla is or not, but some are).

Vehicle-to-everything - Wikipedia

I think this has great potential, but it has to be standard and also secure/trustable. that last part may be hard.

Reactions: richrootes
And ultimately, it could even lead to an AI 'personality' that can converse with us like KITT in Knight Rider. The technology exists now. Imagine just getting into your car and it talks to you about your calendar appointments or the traffic on your route and asks if you want to go to work, you say "yes" and it engages FSD and takes you to work. When Tesla finishes FSD, this would absolutely be possible.

If my Tesla starts talking to me like that I will set it on fire. Seriously though, "talking" responses sound cute but they get irritating very quickly. You need to be very careful about alarms and how they are handled when safety is involved. The advantage of "bong" type sounds is (a) they are international, (b) they alert you but do not distract you in the same way as talking. I'm fine with you ASKING the car to tell you something "What is the current alert?" etc, but not the car spontaneously breaking out into prose. Yes, nav systems talk, but that is because they are giving instructions.

Nope. This is not a joke. Elon said that Tesla is working on the cars 'soon' being able to actually speak to the driver or to people outside the car: Tesla vehicles are 'soon' going to talk, Elon Musk releases preview - Electrek

Let's not get too excited. From the teaser video, it sounds like it will part of the pedestrian warning system but instead of a random noise, it will be a pre-programmed sentence that the car will speak to pedestrians.

But this feature has a ton of potential. For example, during smart summon, the car could speak to pedestrians to let them know what it is planning to do. For FSD, this has a lot of potential. For the driver, I could see Tesla implementing responses to voice commands so that the car could reply when you ask it to do something. I could also see Tesla adding voice replies for alerts. For example, the car could speak "autopilot on" or "autopilot off" when you engage or disengage autopilot. The car could speak "hold the wheel" instead of a visual nag. The car could speak warnings like "regen low" or "low tire pressure" or "camera obstructed, autopilot features limited". Basically, all the alerts that we get now could be converted to a spoken alert. I think there would be a huge benefit in having the alerts spoken since people tend to pay better attention to something they hear, whereas they can miss a visual queue.

Will be available for general release in about a week. Stay tuned!
How do u know that?