Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweet: No 'significantly new consumer-facing technology' in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are other things that I haven't even brought up. I'm not bashing Tesla or Elon, but there were so many things that caused me to pause and say......whaaaat? after Elons tweets.

He said that the MS will be the quickest car and that the M3 won't surpass the MS because there is not enough space to put a battery larger than 75Kwh in there. THEN he said something that blew me away. He then said....UNTIL the new roadster.

Wait. The roadster will be quicker than the Model S? You mean to tell me that a roadster will have more physical battery space than a Model 3? Whaaaaat?

Sounds like the Model 3 is going to be 0-60 limited ..... just because.

However I left that one alone.

Please listen. TESLA / ELON said that dual motors would be available first a long time ago. It wasn't simply a wish of forum participants.
Oh, I heard you. So what? I'm sure he wanted to see that, but stuff changes. CEOs have tough decisions to make. If you want D, wait a bit. If you can't wait, hope you find a car you like. I've really appreciated your enthusiasm for the 3. I hope you find the patience to wait for what you want.

There are other things that I haven't even brought up. I'm not bashing Tesla or Elon, but there were so many things that caused me to pause and say......whaaaat? after Elons tweets.

He said that the MS will be the quickest car and that the M3 won't surpass the MS because there is not enough space to put a battery larger than 75Kwh in there. THEN he said something that blew me away. He then said....UNTIL the new roadster.

Wait. The roadster will be quicker than the Model S? You mean to tell me that a roadster will have more physical battery space than a Model 3? Whaaaaat?

Sounds like the Model 3 is going to be 0-60 limited ..... just because.

However I left that one alone.
Silliness! Weight also plays large factor in acceleration. Roadster will be light. Not to mention limited production and >100k probably.

Did he actually say AWD would be delivered first or just that "highly optioned" cars would be delivered first? The two are not identical.
"Did he really say....?" Sounds like the beginning of another popular quote.

Anyway.... to answer your question: Yes he did. He was asked at the gigafactory 1 opening if the Model 3 will have dual motors in the first deliveries. Answer Yes.

It does look good. There are lots of concepts EVs out there that look good. I'd wait to what actually comes to see what its actual specs will be. To me, it looks like something between an S and an X. I expect it will be in the same price range as a minimal version of those two. We'll see though. The world needs more EVs. The 3 will have been out for more than a full year before the I-Pace hits the road. The new batteries will be in the Model S and X by then and also a lot of new technology as well. I expect the I-Pace will still be more pretty and comfortable over a Tesla in the interior. It is one of Tesla's weak areas if you don't like minimalist modern style.

Please listen. TESLA / ELON said that dual motors would be available first a long time ago. It wasn't simply a wish of forum participants.

Actually, I'm no so sure about that. I reviewed the Model 3 launch event video and Musk did not mention all wheel drive and the only tweet I am aware of is from April 2016 where Musk says AWD will be available as an option, but he does not say it would be available "first". Maybe you have some other information that I am not aware of?

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 8.20.38 PM.png

I can imagine a situation where the motor is the bottleneck on production. I mean, logically it's batteries, but imagine a concern about motor production. You can build twice the RWD vehicles compared to AWD with the same number of motors
I'm thinking it's a supplier issue with the transmission. The motors themselves and their parts are similar to the S motors which are all built on site. Motor production shouldn't be a bottleneck.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Roadster. You talked about how the Roadster could be faster than the 3 with the same battery.
Elons tweet storm included the fact that the MS will be the quickest Tesla until the Roadster.

He also said that the Model 3 can't be quicker than the MS because it does not have enough battery real estate.

Then I wondered....then how will the roadster have enough battery real estate to be quicker than the model S when the roadster is even smaller than the Model 3 by all comparisons.

Actually, I'm no so sure about that. I reviewed the Model 3 launch event video and Musk did not mention all wheel drive and the only tweet I am aware of is from April 2016 where Musk says AWD will be available as an option, but he does not say it would be available "first". Maybe you have some other information that I am not aware of?

View attachment 219951
I said gigafactory 1 grand opening. He mentioned it there.