Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And they people laid off arent outside shaking tin cups.

I dont know 1 software engineer that doesnt get recruiters contacting them constantly.

Well, I hire software developers / engineers all the time (it's my core business), and the market for hiring is fantastic right now. I literally have had my pick of the litter, and didn't have to get into a salary war with anyone. Multiple (usually 20-30) candidates for each opening, everyone shows up to the interviews, and my first offer is accepted.

Well, I hire software developers / engineers all the time (it's my core business), and the market for hiring is fantastic right now. I literally have had my pick of the litter, and didn't have to get into a salary war with anyone. Multiple (usually 20-30) candidates for each opening, everyone shows up to the interviews, and my first offer is accepted.
You forget I am in the business as well.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
I know people who live there. Actual Chinese nationals, not expats.
How many people do you know ? Not a significant % of people or a good random sample, right ?

I'd have no problems if you say, the people you know there don't like zero Covid or would welcome Elon challenging the policies.

BTW, Chinese people should protest the policies they don't like, themselves. Not look for some foreign company to do it for them. Its not Tesla or Elon's job / responsibility.

ps : Not saying thats what the Chinese people are looking for, either. Infact, I think it is best for foreigners to keep out of such local policies.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
How many people do you know ? Not a significant % of people or a good random sample, right ?

I'd have no problems if you say, the people you know there don't like zero Covid or would welcome Elon challenging the policies.

BTW, Chinese people should protest the policies they don't like, themselves. Not look for some foreign company to do it for them. Its not Tesla or Elon's job / responsibility.

I think you underestimate the grip the CCP has on the populace.

Full-on subscription would eliminate Twitter. IMO, the Blue check charge makes sense (dunno if $8 is the right number, that is a pricing issue). Twitter has a gazillion accounts but only an extremely small portion of those are real, active users. (think politicians, journalists, influencers, business). Essentially, Twitter has been free advertising for them, so let them pay a fee to be active daily tweeters to get their message out. (And that is what the whining -- looking at you, AOC and Stephen King -- is about: they want Twitter to remain their free mouthpiece....)

I'm on Twitter a lot, but I have never actually tweeted anything. So I am active, but read only. I bet there are a lot of people like that. There are lots of read only people on TMC too.

People in China that even just post on social media against the CCP, forget in-person protests, are known to disappear.

You have the luxury of having grown up in a free society, and don't have to always look over your shoulder.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wrong, it was a FULL stop on production:

And yes, at the time, positive cases were quarantined by the Health Dept and contact tracing performed.
Hmm...okay, I remembered that part wrong. But still, the county was permitted to be more strict than the state because the state specifically said counties can be more restrictive.

• Informative
People in China that even just post on social media against the CCP, forget in-person protests, are known to disappear.

You have the luxury of having grown up in a free society, and don't have to always look over your shoulder.
LOL. You have no idea where I've grown up ;)

Politics in China is a lot more complex and complicated than the caricature you are assuming it to be. Leaders still listen to popular opinion and act on them (may be not immediately or the way one might in a Democracy).

And you know that, how ?

Not saying it is correct or otherwise - but I think we should refrain from claiming facts that we can't possibly know about.

I definitely, 1000%, do NOT want Elon to challenge authorities in China on Zero Covid. Tesla needs to respect local laws.

ps : He shouldn't have challenged Alameda county officials either .... the correct way to do that would be to challenge in court.

Agree (with your pov on China) but disagree with that of Alameda County. The law wasn't that clear: federal guidance was that auto manufacturers were deemed essential businesses and therefore could remain open, like grocery stores & transportation systems; Alameda County disagreed. IMO the correct way is just the opposite: remain open, get a cease and desist order from the Sheriff by noon, and then go to court that afternoon to challenge the order.

Hmm...okay, I remembered that part wrong. But still, the county was permitted to be more strict than the state because the state specifically said counties can be more restrictive.

Again, the county could not defend that they were more restrictive with Tesla than other companies in the area. That was the crux of Tesla's lawsuit (which they dropped after the county backed off). Details matter.

It's not a random sample because it's mostly people in the tech industry. But the unpopularity of zero COVID over there is well documented.

If Elon thinks he has the right to protest Alameda County's policies by simply disobeying them, then he should also protest Shanghai's. Personally, I think he should have fought the battle in court, but this isn't about what I think, it's about what he thinks.
ps : Not saying thats what the Chinese people are looking for, either. Infact, I think it is best for foreigners to keep out of such local policies.
I'm not the one forcing my friends to say nothing good about zero COVID or the CCP chairman. They're doing that on their own. From 2020 until 2022, their comments have gone from "Do you feel safe in the US? The virus is spreading everywhere over there." to "The people behind zero COVID need to pay for this stupidity."

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV and thx1139
IMO the correct way is just the opposite: remain open, get a cease and desist order from the Sheriff by noon, and then go to court that afternoon to challenge the order.
I don't actually recall the specifics (this whole Covid thing has been a blur) ... but in general I think the correct way is to obey the rules but challenge them in court.

• Disagree
If Elon thinks he has the right to protest Alameda County's policies by simply disobeying them, then he should also protest Shanghai's. Personally, I think he should have fought the battle in court, but this isn't about what I think, it's about what he thinks.

Key difference:
Shanghai has worked with Tesla to enable mechanisms for the factory to remain open, and at 100% production. Alamedia county didn't, and wouldn't engage with Tesla on that front.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: KBF and ElectricIAC
More on the Twitter train wreck...

Seriously? He’s publicly haggling with his most reliable content providers over how much he should charge them for providing viral content? Weird. Then again, he has to recoup that $44 billion he paid for Twitter somehow, and squeezing $8 a month out of people like Ruth Buzzi would go a long way toward making that happen.

I’m no captain of industry, but I always thought it was customary to figure out what the **** you were doing before you bought a business for $44 billion. Maybe Musk should have done some perfunctory research to see if ****ing over Twitter’s greatest asset—an army of users who are willing to work for free—was a good idea. Just a thought. And the timing seems especially bad here.

Twitter is working on a feature that would let people post videos and charge users to view them, with the company taking a cut of the proceeds, according to an internal email obtained by The Washington Post. The company appears to be aiming to rush out the feature, referred to as Paywalled Video, with a target of one to two weeks before launch.
But the team has “identified the risk as high,” according to the email, which was sent by an employee on Twitter’s Product Trust team. The email cites “risks related to copyrighted content, creator/user trust issues, and legal compliance” and says the feature will undergo a brief internal review on those issues before moving forward.

AOC seems to be having problems with her account:

Also my twitter mentions/notifications conveniently aren’t working tonight, so I was informed via text that I seem to have gotten under a certain billionaire’s skin
Just a reminder that money will never [buy] your way out of insecurity, folks.
Yo @elonmusk while I have your attention, why should people pay $8 just for their app to get bricked when they say something you don’t like?
This is what my app has looked like ever since my tweet upset you yesterday. What’s good? Doesn’t seem very free speechy to me

If Elon thinks he has the right to protest Alameda County's policies, then he should also protest Shanghai's.
No.

Elon is a US citizen and has rights here that he doesn't in China. Besides, the laws around protect themselves are different.

Baseline : I think companies should respect local rules & regulations. I want Tesla to be respectful of Chinese laws (whether you agree with them or not) just as I want Saudi companies to not force women employees to cover their heads in US.

ps : If you are opposed to the restrictive policies of China, don't operate there (like so many other companies Google, Facebook etc).

• Informative
Are you sure. Do you know that no people that do content moderation are being let go? Do you know if any have simply left? Do you know if anything has been turned off? Do you think that advertisers haven't listened to what Elon has said and don't see the writing on the wall? I mean come on don't be so naïve. His very post confirms that he plans to if not already has started letting the twitter cesspool become even worse.
Elon has already stated that blocked accounts will be re-instated and him tweeting a vile conspiracy theory against the husband of the #3 of US political hierarchy didn't help either. many advertisers don't want their company logo appear just under the next Steve Bannon or 45 tweet. "Election was rigged and stolen and country is going to hell" ... "Kraft Heinz ketchup ad"

Status
Not open for further replies.