Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon thinks an exercise of free speech (people voicing opinions to advertisers) is a violation of free speech.

I'm not sure he could pass a Civics 101 class.

EDIT - who is "they?" Very easy to play the victim when you can't define whoever is supposedly trying to suppress your speech.
be careful... not buying a Tesla might soon be considered a constitutional violation 😅

FYI - they tried the same thing (and it was the same attorney suing) with Tesla with the 10% workforce reduction over the summer. The judge threw it out and said they had to go to arbitration, per their contracts. Don't get your hopes up for this one, I knew one of Elon's attorney's (from college), it's a SHARP group that knows what they are doing. They would have done their homework on this.
yeah. that's why the twitter trial in Delaware went "super" (= Elon buying at the price he didn't want to pay) and that racial discrimination Fremont lawsuit went in Tesla's favor... oh wait

It's interesting seeing the confirmation bias from both the supporters of the deal and the opponents. One group is saying "it's already so much better" and the other is saying "this is ridiculously bad."

I've hated the deal from day one, haven't really noticed any changes in my Twitter timeline (except maybe more ads, hard to say) other than people bitching about Elon/Twitter. However, I think Elon's takeover has been nothing other than an unmitigated disaster.

Elon has shown an ability to learn from his mistakes; hopefully this turns into a net positive and he learns from this one.

I've hated the deal from day one, haven't really noticed any changes in my Twitter timeline (except maybe more ads, hard to say) other than people bitching about Elon/Twitter. However, I think Elon's takeover has been nothing other than an unmitigated disaster.

Elon has shown an ability to learn from his mistakes; hopefully this turns into a net positive and he learns from this one.
I predicted this.

I honestly dont know if any changes were made yet that have any effect on content people see or dont. What I predicted is that any and everything will be blamed on Elon. The twitter overhang wont go away anytime soon because "Elon is the Twitter Overhang"

No.

Elon is a US citizen and has rights here that he doesn't in China.
US citizens and foreign nationals on US soil generally have the same rights (except some rights reserved for citizens only, like the right to vote). But neither has the right to disobey laws and regulations that were properly put on the books. There is a process for challenging laws you don't like but Elon didn't follow the process.

US citizens and foreign nationals on US soil generally have the same rights (except some rights reserved for citizens only, like the right to vote). But neither has the right to disobey laws and regulations that were properly put on the books. There is a process for challenging laws you don't like but Elon didn't follow the process.

The issue was that the Alameda statute was in direct conflict with Federal and State mandates (and these were all MANDATES - not laws passed by the legislature). This is why Alameda didn't take Tesla to court, AND the official that shut down Tesla eventually resigned. By most accounts, it was an over-reach on Alameda Co's part (they tried to do something that the Feds had already ruled on - they don't have the authority to reverse a Federal mandate).

Thats exactly what I said above ...

I don't actually recall the specifics (this whole Covid thing has been a blur) ... but in general I think the correct way is to obey the rules but challenge them in court.

The issue was that the Alameda statute was in direct conflict with Federal and State mandates (and these were all MANDATES - not laws passed by the legislature).
Even then - isn't the correct way to handle this is to legally challenge the order ? Afterall someone or the other will claim every law/order is "unconstitutional".

ps : Ofcourse there is this whole "civil disobedience" protest. But we are not talking about that here.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Even then - isn't the correct way to handle this is to legally challenge the order ? Afterall someone or the other will claim every law/order is "unconstitutional".

ps : Ofcourse there is this whole "civil disobedience" protest. But we are not talking about that here.

I don't disagree. I can only "guess" Elon's mindset was that the legal route would take too long, and Tesla would continue to bleed 10s of millions of dollars per day while production was stopped. Logically, that's what I would assume.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Exactly. And that is why courts wait until that law/order harms you before you can sue. If the County would have given Tesla a ticket/fine or cease and desist order, the company could have challenged that in court. But saying, 'You need to close bcos I said so' is not the same.

Reactions: bkp_duke
And that is why courts wait until that law/order harms you before you can sue.
Not true.

ps : Rules/laws are challenged in court stating they will harm in future all the time. Take for eg. the challenge to student loan waiver. Its about possible impact on future revenue. Compared to this, Tesla had a much more strong ground to sue the county order in court - obviously stopping production would hurt revenue.

Six states — Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and South Carolina — that jointly claimed Biden’s debt relief would harm tax revenue in their states and the finances of state-based loan agencies on Friday, Oct. 21 filed an emergency motion with the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals for a temporary stay. It was granted later that day.​
These student loan servicers and companies manage commercially-held FFELP loans, and their suit argues letting FFELP borrowers consolidate to be eligible for cancellation would hurt their bottom lines.​

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
It's the same 'crap' as before (no changes to moderation or policy have been made yet), so what you are saying makes zero sense.
It's not the same as before - ownership has changed and the new ownership has a history of acting in ways that are not acceptable to a large segment of the population. Not to mention, for companies like GM and other automobile manufacturers - sending money to a significant stakeholder of your competition.

Advertisers know very well that they want to be associated with things their prospective customers find appealing.

Does GM want their cars to be associated with Elon Musk?
Do advertisers want to be known for spending ad dollars owned by a wealthy egomaniac known to engage in cringey Twitter arguments and retweet right-wing conspiracy theories?

Hah - just how many dumb social media gaffes has Elon made now over the last 5+ years? He has shown an outstanding lack of self-awareness when it comes to his perception on social media. He continues to double down. I highly suspect that he has only very reluctantly deletes outlandish tweets, for example.

Despite his disdain for advertising, it would serve him well to spend some time to better understand the world of advertising, public relations and public perception.

But he won't, and as a result Twitter will go down as a flaming dumpster fire as many have predicted here.

It's not the same as before - ownership has changed and the new ownership has a history of acting in ways that are not acceptable to a large segment of the population. Not to mention, for companies like GM and other automobile manufacturers - sending money to a significant stakeholder of your competition.

Advertisers know very well that they want to be associated with things their prospective customers find appealing.

Does GM want their cars to be associated with Elon Musk?
Do advertisers want to be known for spending ad dollars owned by a wealthy egomaniac known to engage in cringey Twitter arguments and retweet right-wing conspiracy theories?

Hah - just how many dumb social media gaffes has Elon made now over the last 5+ years? He has shown an outstanding lack of self-awareness when it comes to his perception on social media. He continues to double down. I highly suspect that he has only very reluctantly deletes outlandish tweets, for example.

Despite his disdain for advertising, it would serve him well to spend some time to better understand the world of advertising, public relations and public perception.

But he won't, and as a result Twitter will go down as a flaming dumpster fire as many have predicted here.

Elon is about to learn two very expensive lessons: Advertisers don’t like drama and it is next to impossible to get people to pay for anything on the internet that they were getting for free.

The issue was that the Alameda statute was in direct conflict with Federal and State mandates (and these were all MANDATES - not laws passed by the legislature). This is why Alameda didn't take Tesla to court, AND the official that shut down Tesla eventually resigned. By most accounts, it was an over-reach on Alameda Co's part (they tried to do something that the Feds had already ruled on - they don't have the authority to reverse a Federal mandate).
Then Tesla should have filed its lawsuit and been very confident they would win it.
I don't disagree. I can only "guess" Elon's mindset was that the legal route would take too long, and Tesla would continue to bleed 10s of millions of dollars per day while production was stopped. Logically, that's what I would assume.
There was a ton of government money being thrown at companies to make sure they could survive. Wasn't Tesla getting a chunk of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.