Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best way to get the right wing on board with EVs is to take your EV to a rural area and dare anyone to keep up with it. The people there can roll coal all they want, but the EV isn't going to be in the cloud of smoke -- it's going to be far ahead of their pickup or whatever they're driving.

Board? What board? Elon Musk dissolves Twitter's board of directors
The Tesla board, not Twitter's.

Best way to get the right wing on board with EVs is to take your EV to a rural area and dare anyone to keep up with it. The people there can roll coal all they want, but the EV isn't going to be in the cloud of smoke -- it's going to be far ahead of their pickup or whatever they're driving.

Board? What board? Elon Musk dissolves Twitter's board of directors

Chances are 0-60 is something they are not concerned about if they drive a coal roller or pick up

Chances are 0-60 is something they are not concerned about if they drive a coal roller or pick up
There is def that with Dodge Rams... and it’s always them with the coal rolling.
But I’m getting tired of every Camaro/Charger/Mustang lined up beside me at a stoplight, blipping it and looking over.
Seriously, dude? I mean, you KNOW what’s going to happen. Why should I waste my watts?

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
There is def that with Dodge Rams... and it’s always them with the coal rolling.
But I’m getting tired of every Camaro/Charger/Mustang lined up beside me at a stoplight, blipping it and looking over.
Seriously, dude? I mean, you KNOW what’s going to happen. Why should I waste my watts?
Could be a geographical thing but it was mostly BMW M3’s and M5’s lining up with me in the P3D.

And of course they would get spanked on the bottom end but reel it back in over ~90 (Allegedly)

es

How hard was that to do? Buy Twitter, have someone else run it with him in the background, carry on with Tesla a new designs. Instead he's wasting his time tweeting trying to get laughs and likes from the MAGA crowd.

I think it reveals Elons motivations for the whole Twitter fiasco. It wasn't to promote free speech or make great town hall. It was to "own the libs" which is sad.

Although Musk muddied the situation by never admitting he was horribly wrong on this.
Elon continually muddies situations by communicating poorly.

I agree with you on many things but IMO Musk is right to ban impersonation when it can lead to confusion about who said what. False negative claims about Musk (and many others) spread like wildfire
Ah, there’s the rub. Black and white (i.e. being a free speech absolutist) is easy. Once you see and admit that free speech should not be absolute you have to actually think about it and start to realize how grey it is. Like many here have said, “moderation is hard.”

I would have far more respect for Elon if he actually came out and said “I realize my previous statement was wrong and not practical. I’m working with the Twitter team to modify the rules to make Twitter productive and free without harming others.” When he says he’s a free speech absolutist and then changes his mind when it affects him he comes across as a total hypocrite.

SP went under that formerly hard barrier of 200 18 minutes after his “vote Republican tweet” and remains stuck there for now. That tweet isn’t the only reason but still.
Which one? The one he just encouraged independent voters to vote in republicans? LoL
But it's absolutely stupid for a CEO to say that and then tell people what to do. You're burning bridges and that's just bad business.
I'm just feeling incredibly disappointed and deflated about this vote republican tweet. I just see zero upside to Elon picking sides, and plenty of downside. I don't like where this is headed.

Can anyone explain why the US citizen Elon Musk is not allowed to post on Twitter who he thinks people should vote for? (even using some compelling arguments). Has his freedom to express his (political) opinions been stripped the moment he became CEO of Tesla and other high profile companies?

Why are you all allowed to go on Twitter and say you will will vote Republican or Democrat, and encourage other voters to do so, but does Elon have to shut up?

I’m really interested to hear arguments that make sense. I can’t think of anything.

(Reminder: he said he wants a balance of power in Washington to avoid extreme policies from either side. What a horrible standpoint…)

I'll probably get disagreed to oblivion for this, but my investment thesis has changed. I think Elon has fundamentally damaged the Tesla brand and that will materially affect the future trajectory of Tesla. Tesla makes a fantastic product, but brands and public perception do matter. Look at an iconic brand like Apple, which successfully balances great products and great branding - it's crucial to long term success. No matter if you agree with him or not, Elon has alienated a good percentage of potential buyers and effectively shrunk the TAM. I still think Tesla will grow and be successful, but I think that growth will be greatly reduced from what it could have been if Elon never heard of Twitter.

I still admire Elon for all he has done, still love my car and will be a Tesla customer for life (come on Cybertruck!). I just don't like the stock much these days. I am not opening any new long positions (no more dip buying), but I will continue to HODL what I have.

Can anyone explain why the US citizen Elon Musk is not allowed to post on Twitter who he thinks people should vote for? (even using some compelling arguments). Has his freedom to express his (political) opinions been stripped the moment he became CEO of Tesla and other high profile companies?

Why are you all allowed to go on Twitter and say you will will vote Republican or Democrat, and encourage other voters to do so, but does Elon have to shut up?

I’m really interested to hear arguments that make sense. I can’t think of anything.

(Reminder: he said he wants a balance of power in Washington to avoid extreme policies from either side. What a horrible standpoint…)
I think he's perfectly fine to voice who he supports. I think the argument is that usually the CEO of any company tries not to alienate the other group of people especially when the political climate is this polarized. This is a fair point as well when you are trying to sell something to both sides of the aisle.

However EVs are polarized, so perhaps Elon is trying to de-polarize it by working his butt off for a democratic agenda while trying to chummy up with the republicans..who knows. No one polarize the iphone, so it makes sense that Tim Cook doesn't come out gun blazing with the political party he supports or else that can make your product polarizing.

He's allowed to do it. it's just bad business. Other CEO's know this and tend to keep their public political statements fairly quiet because ANY major political stance is gonna piss off half your customers. It's a dumb thing to do.

This is also why the advertisers are fleeing - THEY know they don't want to be associated with a politically-charged platform and CEO. They want to be seen next to G-rated non-controversial stuff vs being on 4chan or conspiracies-R-us.com

Can anyone explain why the US citizen Elon Musk is not allowed to post on Twitter who he thinks people should vote for?
I certainly have never said that.
(even using some compelling arguments). Has his freedom to express his (political) opinions been stripped the moment he became CEO of Tesla and other high profile companies?
All I said is that most CEOs keep their political opinions to themselves for a good reason: posting about politics is generally not good for business, and CEOs usually try to do what is good for business.
If it's a debate on policies...I don't really care too much who wins. But when it comes down to people who don't actually believe in democracy and that whoever gets the most votes should win, that's where I draw the line. I used to be a swing voter and I have voted for candidates of both major parties on the same ballot many times in the past, but when you have people saying that if they win, their party won't ever lose an election in their state again, those aren't people who should be getting votes from anyone. That we should choose leaders based on elections and the person with the most votes should win shouldn't be controversial at all. As someone who was born in South Africa, Elon should be familiar with minority rule and disenfranchisement if he actually paid attention in his history classes as a kid. I can't imagine he really wants to see South Africa's historical problems brought to the US.

Can anyone explain why the US citizen Elon Musk is not allowed to post on Twitter who he thinks people should vote for?
I'm curious if you know of any other high profile CEOs who have ever recommended that other people in the general public should vote a certain way in elections. I can't find a reference to a single one who has done this publicly. They may have mentioned things internally but not to millions of people publicly. I don't think any post here has said he is "not allowed" to do this. It's just not very good business practice.

He's allowed to do it. it's just bad business. Other CEO's know this and tend to keep their public political statements fairly quiet because ANY major political stance is gonna piss off half your customers. It's a dumb thing to do.

This is also why the advertisers are fleeing - THEY know they don't want to be associated with a politically-charged platform and CEO. They want to be seen next to G-rated non-controversial stuff vs being on 4chan or conspiracies-R-us.com
Elon also made a blanket endorsement unlike other celebrities who typically endorse a few select races here and there. His “vote republican” statement includes rather unappetizing fringe elements like Mastriano / Lake / and other election deniers vs. simply stating that he likes DeSantis or so…

Oh how you misunderstand folks in flyover states.

It’s not about rolling coal or yeehaw or muh big truck. It’s about usability. Can you adjust to a Rivian or Lightning and towing 150 miles on a full charge? Sure.

Should you have to when you’re doing the work that keeps the country fed? No. EV’s need to catch up to heavy and medium duty applications.
I have relatives in flyover states. It’s not about usability, it’s about parroting inaccurate talking points that they get from Breitbart and applying double standards to EV (and all green technology.)

I see a lot of assumptions, but no hard facts. Nearly everyone in this thread - which is mainly just a dozen people repeating the same thing over and over again - seems to think that every presumably bad Elon tweet alienates millions of people and that no will want to buy a Tesla anymore, but I’m not seeing any hard evidence. Just some anecdotes (‘My wife hates Elon’, ‘My neighbour thinks Elon’s weird and swears he will never buy a Tesla’). And those anecdotes are probably all from the same part of society. For every person who no longer wants to buy a Tesla there could be two who love to buy one because of what Elon tweets. Who knows. Many here are predicting the end of Twitter, but usage has increased 20% since Elon took over. Consider the possibility that your personal opinion and background is making you miss the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.