Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon also made a blanket endorsement unlike other celebrities who typically endorse a few select races here and there. His “vote republican” statement includes rather unappetizing fringe elements like Mastriano / Lake / and other election deniers vs. simply stating that he likes DeSantis or so…

Doing the blanket-endorsement also undercuts Elon's kind words about wanting Twitter to be a place for moderates that were somehow formerly suppressed. He's full tribal at this point, which is kinda what we knew going in.

I see a lot of assumptions, but no hard facts. Everyone in this thread - which is mainly just a dozen people repeating the same thing over and over again - seems to think that every presumably bad Elon tweet alienates millions of people and that no will want to buy a Tesla anymore, but I’m not seeing any hard evidence. Just some anecdotes (‘My wife hates Elon’, ‘My neighbour thinks Elon’s weird and swears he will never buy a Tesla’). And those anecdotes are probably all from the same part of society. For every person who no longer wants to buy a Tesla there could be two who love to buy one. Who knows. Many here are predicting the end of Twitter, but usage has increased 20% since Elon took over. Consider the possibility that your personal opinion and background is making you miss the bigger picture.

If you can't accept the content of Elon's actual tweets and the associated stock market free-fall of TWTR and TSLA as he alienates half the country.... what WOULD you accept for factual debate on the topic? Brieghtbart articles?

If you can't accept the content of Elon's actual tweets and the associated stock market free-fall of TWTR and TSLA as he alienates half the country.... what WOULD you accept for factual debate on the topic? Brieghtbart articles?
Oh wow. TSLA has lost about 13% since the first of the month.

I wonder if anything interesting happened on the first.

I see a lot of assumptions, but no hard facts. Nearly everyone in this thread - which is mainly just a dozen people repeating the same thing over and over again - seems to think that every presumably bad Elon tweet alienates millions of people and that no will want to buy a Tesla anymore, but I’m not seeing any hard evidence. Just some anecdotes (‘My wife hates Elon’, ‘My neighbour thinks Elon’s weird and swears he will never buy a Tesla’). And those anecdotes are probably all from the same part of society. For every person who no longer wants to buy a Tesla there could be two who love to buy one because of what Elon tweets. Who knows. Many here are predicting the end of Twitter, but usage has increased 20% since Elon took over. Consider the possibility that your personal opinion and background is making you miss the bigger picture.
Usage has increased !

Rather meaningless statement as it doesn’t reflect quality and is without context … kinda like saying Trump has the biggest rallies and therefore is the most popular choice. Twitter usage would be off the charts if they reinstated him and let anyone say anything… doesn’t mean it’s good business though. The most popular cable “news” show in primetime (Tucker Carlson) for example has absolutely killer ratings but advertisers for very obvious reasons stay away from it… controversy drives clicks and views but isn't necessarily good business

I'm curious if you know of any other high profile CEOs who have every recommended that other people in the general public should vote a certain way in elections. I can't find a reference to a single one who has done this publicly. They may have mentioned things internally but not to millions of people publicly. I don't think any post here has said he is "not allowed" to do this. It's just not very good business practice.

So you’re saying that because no other high profile CEO has ever done this, Elon should not do it either?

Elon is unorthodox in everything he does and that has paid off handsomely (Tesla’s success, SpaceX’s success). Tweeting controversial things for years now - often leading to ‘now he has finally done it!’ predictions - has not held back Tesla. They have had more orders than they can build for many years now. In hindsight all concern was uncalled for. Why would it be different this time? Why wouldn’t it just be the next ‘now he has finally done it!’?

Ah, there’s the rub. Black and white (i.e. being a free speech absolutist) is easy. Once you see and admit that free speech should not be absolute you have to actually think about it and start to realize how grey it is. Like many here have said, “moderation is hard.”
Fully agree. I've been on the "moderation is hard" bus since I first heard about Elon wanting to bring free speech to Twitter. It still blows my mind that he has been so ignorant about it all.

I would have far more respect for Elon if he actually came out and said “I realize my previous statement was wrong and not practical. I’m working with the Twitter team to modify the rules to make Twitter productive and free without harming others.” When he says he’s a free speech absolutist and then changes his mind when it affects him he comes across as a total hypocrite.
True, but as I said, there will probably be a strong negative reaction from the people who are expecting Musk to scale back moderation when they find out he doesn't. I honestly don't blame him for delaying that battle until another day. This is a terrible look for him but he has dug a big hole and doesn't have great options.

One of the big lessons I learned from the horrific French Revolution is that when people act on "let's tear it all down because things can't get any worse" then things get much worse. This was true with Elon trying to tear down and rebuild Twitter. it is also true now. The current situation could get So. Much. Worse.

It's not all Elon's fault. The Dems kowtowing to the corrupt UAW (according to Jen Psaki) helped steer Elon to the dark other side. Attacking someone and spreading vile lies about them is not a good way to bring them into the fold. The Dems did an excellent job of convincing Elon that they are the problem and he will be better off if they are no longer in power.

So you’re saying that because no other high profile CEO has ever done this, Elon should not do it either?

Elon is unorthodox in everything he does and that has paid off handsomely (Tesla’s success, SpaceX’s success). Tweeting controversial things for years now - often leading to ‘now he has finally done it!’ predictions - has not held back Tesla. They have more orders than they can build for many years now. In hindsight all concern was uncalled for. Why would it be different this time? Or is this just the next ‘now he has finally done it!’?

Could it be that there are really good reasons why pretty much all CEO's don't do it?

They have more orders than they can build for many years now.
Longest wait I can see for any vehicle is for the Model X, with EDD of as late as June 2023. That's roughly half a year. For the Model Y, it's as late as March 2023. For the Model 3, there's basically no wait, and for the Model S, out to February 2023. The inability of Tesla to get new orders is going to start affecting its financials real quickly when it finally does clear out the backlog. There isn't an infinite demand for Tesla vehicles and more competitors release vehicles every month.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
Can anyone explain why the US citizen Elon Musk is not allowed to post on Twitter who he thinks people should vote for? (even using some compelling arguments). Has his freedom to express his (political) opinions been stripped the moment he became CEO of Tesla and other high profile companies?

Why are you all allowed to go on Twitter and say you will will vote Republican or Democrat, and encourage other voters to do so, but does Elon have to shut up?

I’m really interested to hear arguments that make sense. I can’t think of anything.

(Reminder: he said he wants a balance of power in Washington to avoid extreme policies from either side. What a horrible standpoint…)

Like Jordan once supposedly said Republicans buy sneakers too.............

"Balance of Power" in Washington is a great fantasy and one that is impossible when the SC leans heavily Republican. The balance of power is not necessary when the will of the people is being done by their Reps.

Elon is unorthodox in everything he does and that has paid off handsomely (Tesla’s success, SpaceX’s success). Tweeting controversial things for years now - often leading to ‘now he has finally done it!’ predictions - has not held back Tesla. They have more orders than they can build for many years now. In hindsight all concern was uncalled for. Why would it be different this time? Or is this just the next ‘now he has finally done it!’?
Your argument appears to be "Elon does things differently, so whatever he does is probably going to work out." Not everyone shares that view, which is why they have voiced their opinion that alienating a segment of the population might backfire. It also might not. But it's not an unreasonable thing to say.

I don't know what "he has finally done it" is supposed to imply. I haven't seen anyone use those words, either.

I am looking only at actions, not at the person. I don't have any animosity or adoration for Elon, or really for any human. I am familiar with his track record, including both his great successes and his failures. Nobody is infallible. Even Elon's biggest defenders here seem to admit this isn't the best look but it's just part of the package which is hopefully aimed in a positive direction. To excuse it with the expectation that it'll pay off handsomely seems a little more in the adulation camp than the unbiased camp.

I see a lot of assumptions, but no hard facts. Nearly everyone in this thread - which is mainly just a dozen people repeating the same thing over and over again - seems to think that every presumably bad Elon tweet alienates millions of people and that no will want to buy a Tesla anymore, but I’m not seeing any hard evidence. Just some anecdotes (‘My wife hates Elon’, ‘My neighbour thinks Elon’s weird and swears he will never buy a Tesla’). And those anecdotes are probably all from the same part of society. For every person who no longer wants to buy a Tesla there could be two who love to buy one because of what Elon tweets. Who knows. Many here are predicting the end of Twitter, but usage has increased 20% since Elon took over. Consider the possibility that your personal opinion and background is making you miss the bigger picture.

Agreed, the official vehicle of the Far Right MAGA T Train 2024.......

In your opinion what are the positives of alienating 50% of the market?

In your opinion what are the positives of alienating 50% of the market?

Who says he is alienating 50% of the market? Democrats are 35% of the market and they are not a monolithic group. Many of them are lukewarm about politics and don’t care. Others are on the right side of the party and dislike AOC and Bernie. Others may not like Elon flirting with the Republicans, but don’t see that as a reason not to buy a Tesla.

And ‘50% of the market’ is pretty US centric. The Chinese don’t care and may even like it.

Can anyone explain why the US citizen Elon Musk is not allowed to post on Twitter who he thinks people should vote for?
Of course he is allowed to do it. The point is it was unwise. As the CEO of Twitter, at this point in time, it was extremely unwise. The majority of Americans don't agree with his opinion on this. It's a majority and not 50/50 because the US election system is undemocratic. Elon seems to be out of touch with this reality.

Whether you agree with him on this or not is beside the point. Not only is he driving off users directly, his lack of wisdom, judgment, and restraint will cause bankers and advertisers to lose faith in him. Elon needs the support of both of those groups for Twitter to survive.

Maybe Elon thinks that stirring up controversy like this is good for Twitter. It's possible that controversy on Twitter would be good but controversy by Twitter is not. Alienating half the country is not a good way to grow the user base by a factor of 10.

I don't know what "he has finally done it" is supposed to imply. I haven't seen anyone use those words, either.

‘Now he has finally done it!’, has been yelled by hundreds of posters during the last five years after tweets about pedo’s, funding secured, the SEC, Biden and dozens of other ‘controversial’ subjects (I forgot most of them and do did most people). Smoking a joint was also ‘the last straw’. All of them were implying that demand for Teslas or the stock would crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.