Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but I did not ask your advise on what to buy, nor do I care what you or anyone else buys.
When you post a takedown of Tesla cars on a Tesla forum, your gonna get some ”advice”. Enjoy your Mercedes. And please, think of me when you look at those “pretty” plastic vents that try to look like turbines.

Here is an interesting take by former head of engineering at Twitter.

Esp. this .... I wonder whether Musk has fallen victim to yet another conspiracy theory that somehow Twitter suppresses Republican tweets. Basically the "algorithm" is more like a neural net trained to figure out whether a particular tweet will be liked by the person they are showing the tweet to and whether they can monetize it.

To build trust in Twitter, Musk wants to open-source its algorithms.

“This one is a head-scratcher to me,” Roetter said. The algorithms themselves, he said, won’t tell you very much. To figure out what to show you, Twitter’s ranking algorithms essentially look at billions of examples of content, try to predict how you’ll react to tweets and ads, and then use those scores to optimize what to show you. “It doesn’t say, if you are Republican, then you’re banned,” Roetter said. “There’s just nothing like that.”

Open sourcing the algorithms is feasible and perhaps advisable, but only to dispel the conspiracy theories.

Free speech on a plane. Looking to Elon for rescue.

If you don’t realize why “this is ****ing outrageous,” this snowbird connects the dots for you: “You guys, we’re gonna turn into China.” You get it? It’s going to be bad. Not white communism bad, Chinese communism bad. That’s like double-bad for a racist. From there she continues the slow realization that she isn’t winning jack *sugar* in this nonexistent case for her special First Amendment right to make everybody, passengers and crew, feel frustrated and miserable about her current state. “Oh I love Elon Musk, he is the best. Elon!” which elicits some giggles from passengers as it is a truly new level of incoherence.

The request indicates that Jordan may investigate the FTC's merger review.

Jordan expressed concern about statements by the Open Markets Institute, which he called "an extreme left-wing political advocacy organization," and its call for the FTC to stop the deal.

"We are concerned that OMI - where you were previously employed as Legal Director - may be trying to leverage its close relationship with you to take action to further limit free speech online," wrote Jordan.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
Here is an interesting take by former head of engineering at Twitter.

Esp. this .... I wonder whether Musk has fallen victim to yet another conspiracy theory that somehow Twitter suppresses Republican tweets. Basically the "algorithm" is more like a neural net trained to figure out whether a particular tweet will be liked by the person they are showing the tweet to and whether they can monetize it.
Interesting read. Thank you for posting. Too bad the journalist didn't ask how/why a newspaper article from a major US daily was blocked? What makes the neural net do that? The paper has thousands of paid subscribers so presumably they 'like' their paper.....

Interesting read. Thank you for posting. Too bad the journalist didn't ask how/why a newspaper article from a major US daily was blocked? What makes the neural net do that? The paper has thousands of paid subscribers so presumably they 'like' their paper.....
That's moderation. Not algorithmic.

Elon wants to make any human moderation / judgement public - but we already knew that in this case.

ps : How is Elon going to handle all the false positives when it comes to bots ? Welcome to "phantom braking" on Twitter;)

Twitter admitted that a “software bug” suppressed 2018 Republican midterm candidates. It was strange that they couldn’t explain why a “software bug” could only affect Republican candidates though.

Maybe the neural net is partisan lol?

It’s not the algorithms that are the problem but the employees actively suppressing the content. Several have been caught on camera stating they do just that. Hopefully Elon cleans that mess up.

When you post a takedown of Tesla cars on a Tesla forum, your gonna get some ”advice”. Enjoy your Mercedes. And please, think of me when you look at those “pretty” plastic vents that try to look like turbines.
O
Free speech on a plane. Looking to Elon for rescue.

If you don’t realize why “this is ****ing outrageous,” this snowbird connects the dots for you: “You guys, we’re gonna turn into China.” You get it? It’s going to be bad. Not white communism bad, Chinese communism bad. That’s like double-bad for a racist. From there she continues the slow realization that she isn’t winning jack *sugar* in this nonexistent case for her special First Amendment right to make everybody, passengers and crew, feel frustrated and miserable about her current state. “Oh I love Elon Musk, he is the best. Elon!” which elicits some giggles from passengers as it is a truly new level of incoherence.
Not free speech. Snakes.

Twitter admitted that a “software bug” suppressed 2018 Republican midterm candidates. It was strange that they couldn’t explain why a “software bug” could only affect Republican candidates though.

Maybe the neural net is partisan lol?

It’s not the algorithms that are the problem but the employees actively suppressing the content. Several have been caught on camera stating they do just that. Hopefully Elon cleans that mess up.
Link?

Again....why does this thread exist, let alone in the Investor's Forum?

He's bought into the Hunter Biden laptop conspiracy.

Uh, the Hunter Biden laptop story was/is a real event, not a conspiracy, and was overtly suppressed and gas lighted by the media, including twitter. Probably was an important part of the election outcome. For the record, I am very happy Trump lost, but this does not change the fact that Hunter is a criminal piece of trash, and (as most fathers would) the president is supporting him - and probably broke laws in this support.

Suppressing the laptop affair (just like suppressing the discussion of the possibility that the covid virus is an accidental leak from a Chinese lab) should never have happened in a free society.

Such suppression creates a (justified) feeling of being manipulated, and decreases trust in the authorities. Such a situation is very dangerous and can escalate into difficult to control events. The only way to avoid it is to have a media that you can trust will present the truth, from all sides, even if you do not agree with it. Elon is trying to achieve that with twitter - and this is not a distraction from his mission - it is in fact central to his mission. For without media you can trust in the long term you will not have freedom, progress, and the support to, for example, go to Mars and beyond.

Uh, the Hunter Biden laptop story was/is a real event, not a conspiracy, and was overtly suppressed and gas lighted by the media, including twitter. Probably was an important part of the election outcome. For the record, I am very happy Trump lost, but this does not change the fact that Hunter is a criminal piece of trash, and (as most fathers would) the president is supporting him - and probably broke laws in this support.

Suppressing the laptop affair (just like suppressing the discussion of the possibility that the covid virus is an accidental leak from a Chinese lab) should never have happened in a free society.

Such suppression creates a (justified) feeling of being manipulated, and decreases trust in the authorities. Such a situation is very dangerous and can escalate into difficult to control events. The only way to avoid it is to have a media that you can trust will present the truth, from all sides, even if you do not agree with it. Elon is trying to achieve that with twitter - and this is not a distraction from his mission - it is in fact central to his mission. For without media you can trust in the long term you will not have freedom, progress, and the support to, for example, go to Mars and beyond.

What's the story? Hunter Biden dropped a laptop off at a repair shop and never picked it back up? Is this supposed to be a crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.