Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF is Woke other than having knowledge and not sticking you head in the sand and being asleep. I am sorry Elon not only went right because unfortunately he became the poster child, wrongly, for tax reform which is needed. He went right because he couldnt bare not getting the atta boys and photo opps with Biden. He just couldnt bare not getting the attention and only getting policy that greatly benefited Tesla. He couldnt take it that CAFE standards, which Tesla lobbied for, were raised resulting in Tesla ZEV credits increasing profits without getting a reception at the White House. He couldnt take it that IRA will be a boon for Tesla without getting a photo op at the White House. He could have played that game and made a public invitation for Biden to attend the grand opening of the largest EV factory in the United States, but he didnt.

He also just plain lied to the world. He said that bringing Trump back and others would be handled by a diverse panel, he never put the panel together and just brought people back and for the Insurrectionist in Chief he used a stupid twitter poll.
Pretty sure Elon went right because California forced Tesla to close down indefinitely beyond what was neccessary for political reasons. Then Elon became relentlessly attacked because Tesla stocks went to the moon due to being profitable and being included in the s&p500. So they had him as some evil profiteer while people are dying.

There was a time when strict covid policy means left, and lax covid policy means right. I still think some of this is going on while both sides criticize China for whatever they are doing.

Disappointed that you described why Elon went right to just "want a photo op" when you were there the entire time witnessing the event.

I don't think all opinions are equal here when it comes to Elon, though language caveats can be useful. My word choices do reflect my certainty, and I've been interested in human behavior and psychology since I was a kid. I've read several Elon biographies and heard all of his long-form interviews. His movements don't surprise or shock me, and I'm not offended by him. In fact, I've predicted enough behavior around Elon, TSLA, and EVs to know that I have a pretty good handle on human motivations.

I think people who are offended by him don't understand him, not that I agree with everything he does or says, but overall I feel like I understand his thought process. Given that he's a human with fairly obvious and well-stated aspirations, his spectrum-level honesty can be taken on face-value for the most part. People are used to duplicity and deceit, or a polished politician who they suddenly find is a criminal (Former Nissan/Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn) or is a grifter like Bernie Madoff or Sam Bankman Fried or Elizabeth Holmes (now with a fresh prison sentence). These people made ALL the right noises to placate their victims and observers until they were found out. Elon has the courage to piss off everyone whilst doing precisely what he said he would do, be that landing boosters on their struts, FSD, popularizing EVs, launching Starlink, or freeing the Bird that is Twitter.

What is Elon's crime? Being too honest or too bold? Too much success? Being too courageous? Being too smart? Too rich? Almost everything I see against Elon is a baseless character attack, and for many his status as a multi-billionaire is a high crime that brings unforgiveable heresy. Elizabeth Holmes and AOC accused Elon of tax-evasion, never apologized when corrected, and Warren and others are trying to urge the FTC to harass or 'investigate' Elon.

Elon is pretty transparent due to that *Asperger's Honesty, but people also invent their own narratives due to their own peculiar political orientation. This too falls within the purview of human psychology lending itself to narratives which fit their ingroup. It's the very basis of religion and culture. This is also why it's easy to predict which groups will be most offended by Elon announcing that he'll vote Republican due to unfair treatment from the far Left. Demographically, it's not hard to see who would be offended by Elon and how they would retaliate.

I've done my due-diligence when it comes to sample data, as much as I can without knowing the guy personally. It was one of the precursors for investing in $TSLA. A lot of people barely need to hear a few choice words from a FUDster to form their 'opinion', which is why any FUD is effective. How else does Gordo get through to those who fall for his narrative against Tesla? Why do low-information voters exist and lack the self-awareness to hide this fact? Why do people spout crazy opinions in public, such as Flat Earth nuttery? Simply having an opinion isn't enough, and the mere existence of an opinion doesn't make it equal with all others.

Anyone surprised by the upheaval and attacks against Elon doesn't understand the Left very well. It may get a little worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

*Asperger's Syndrome is no longer recognized by the DSM V, which is a very Asperger's bit of pedantry.
I'll once again say that your unwavering confidence is well noted.
Frankly I don't like labels
You've used more labels in this thread than anyone, including making trademark symbols to intensify the "labeling" aspect of such. You seem to love them.

Edited to add a Moderator Note: I've sent out warnings to multiple members in this thread when I've moved their posts away to politics quarantine. I've tried really hard to use a soft nudge approach to keeping this thread from specifically using labels for people like "THE right" or "THE left" or "THE woke left," because these do absolutely nothing to look at the nuance of a situation and are simplistic summations of large groups of people with varying opinions. They are cognitive shortcuts, heuristics, and they make for easy ways to divide people. Most importantly to this thread and this community, I prefer if we could prevent these labels and arguments from having the disappointing side effect of dividing our particular membership here. That does a disservice to the information sharing and community aspect of TMC, at least in my personal opinion.

I do not want to become heavy handed here, and I'm out of town anyway and don't have time to monitor this thread terribly frequently. There are also two other Investment section mods handling some things in their own way as well. But I'll make a final plea to try to avoid using charged and divisive terms as much as you can. I really think it helps with cooperative conversation.

Last edited:
Elon is sooooo desperately trying to get Trump to tweet again... how many more memes taunting him to come back to twitter can he send?
tells you how "super" twitter is doing...
I feel like making fun of Trump not having the discipline to stay off twitter usually generates the opposite affect....unless you are in the business of proving someone else is right.

A true attempt trying to get Trump on twitter would be showing him the amount of people who wants him to tweet, how he can leverage twitter to win the next election, and actively telling him whatever he says won't be canceled. Meming that he craves attention and see it as a drug is not exactly inviting.

One of many replies to ... (lot of new crypto, etc, "bot" accounts)
Mark Cuban on twitter - Noticed that all my burner accounts are adding crypto accounts as followers. Some I rarely tweet from. Others I never tweet from. Most are Nov 22 accounts. Anyone else see this ?

Likely stated in the thread as well how many accounts have been automatically 'following' Trumps new account.

I feel like making fun of Trump not having the discipline to stay off twitter usually generates the opposite affect....unless you are in the business of proving someone else is right.

A true attempt trying to get Trump on twitter would be showing him the amount of people who wants him to tweet, how he can leverage twitter to win the next election, and actively telling him whatever he says won't be canceled. Meming that he craves attention and see it as a drug is not exactly inviting.

neither is mass firing people / insulting people who have left / locking down the office and then only to beg a day later that everyone who can code should come back asap before 2pm. lol. not a lot makes sense these days.

neither is mass firing people / insulting people who have left / locking down the office and then only to beg a day later that everyone who can code should come back asap before 2pm. lol. not a lot makes sense these days.
Elon publicly said he doesn't want whiners on twitter. You gonna somehow twist that into "look at Elon begging people to stay on twitter"?

So a few tweets by Elon (I can think of only one) equals ‘I'm seeing a lot more extreme misinformation than I used to’. Okay.
Except that's not what I said. If you want to engage in discussion with me at least read all the words that I write, I don't use that many most of the time.

No I'm seeing more misinformation because the chief twitt himself is posting it and interacting with more people promoting it.

Another veiled reference to the destruction of Twitter which will be denied later.

Pretty much non-stop then when it’s called out later on “We never said that”.
Nope - it’s an opinion based on the facts. Even Elon said that Twitter may go bankrupt. Are you going to call him a naysayer, too?
It’s his current shiny object. Once a new one catches his eye you’ll see him move on to that and place some trusted associates to keep the operation going.
It’s not good when the CEO has the attention of a cat.
One of two paths. He turns it into something worth far more than what he bought in for or he eventually chalks it up to a loss and burns it down.

Either way, the world is better for it.
Finally something we agree on. Twitter became what I would call a critical medium for many organizations to easily communicate. It worked well for many things but also had flaws. In spite of what many people here seem to think, I (and I’ll venture most of the others here) don’t want twitter or Elon to fail. We simply see a repeated decisions that have negative consequences, digging a deeper and deeper hole that is going to be very hard to climb out of.
My point stands, especially if you care about tone. People even tell us that 'tone matters'.
I read his posts again. There was nothing wrong with the tone - he clearly laid out what had been done and what he thought should be done. He was not disparaging Musk or Twitter in them. My conclusion is the ‘tone’ you (and Elon) find so Objectionable is simply the lack of blind servitude rather than actual objectivity. So yeah, your complaints about the poor tone of the posts were simiply spin trying to justify a poor decision that did more to destroy morale than actually help the company.
Woke is such a politicized term. Really silly that it has become such...but it is indicative of how silly we humans are.

I am "woke" in the sense that I can change my mind when shown new facts that may challenge long help "truths".

Being Woke DOES not mean I am ready with pitchforks to help "cancel" anyone (another red herring IMHO)

I feel like 85% of "us" are being led by 15% of people that scream the loudest.

If Elon can somehow defuse the loudest screamers, it will be a blessing for us all.
True. Unfortunately I don’t think Elon is the right person for that. He has many talents but this requires some social finesse, something he himself admits isn’t exactly his strong point.
Usually people work hard to get this label
No. The label is rapidly bestowed on people by other people who use it as an insulting label and a way to dismiss their point of view and pigeonhole them into a group of ‘those’ people that the labeler considers fringe wackos not worthy of listening to.
You've used more labels in this thread than anyone
Glad I’m not the only one who noticed that!

Labeling people is the shortcut to "othering them".

You can't hate people if you don't label them first.

This thread is full of people using labels to describe people...many who are probably just like their neighbors.

I am sure if we could just sit and talk I would not use labels to describe any of you fine folks.

I believe what Elon is trying to do is get us talking...not falling into that easy trap of labeling.

Why? Cause Apple is anti Trump?

Apple haven't even pulled advertising. I see mostly app advertisements and AppleTV ads

Pretty sure Elon went right because California forced Tesla to close down indefinitely beyond what was neccessary for political reasons.
This is correct ... but, then he got "radicalized" because he started following all these Covid-deniers. Then he got sucked into all kinds of their conspiracy theories, which he still posts from time to time. This got worse when his child turned Trans which he blamed "woke" Twitter for some reason.

BTW, Left turned against him long before Covid or TSLA going up. Mainly around his anti-Union policies (and pro-car boring vs public transport).

Status
Not open for further replies.