Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Twitter board almost certainly needs to put this to a shareholder vote.

If they reject this offer without giving the rest of their big investors a chance to vote on this, they will likely be removed.

Lawsuits would also follow.
Yes. If they're suing Elon for some weirdness over SEC filings connected with losing money on TWTR transactions... they will surely sue Twitter for refusing a $54/share offer when the stock was $39 ten days ago

and what are those problems? I don't remember him listing them out...
Is enumeration needed to acknowledge existence?
From the sec filing:

As I indicated this weekend, I believe that the company should be private to go through the changes that need to be made.
I invested in Twitter as I believe in its potential to be the platform for free speech around the globe, and I believe free speech is a societal imperative for a functioning democracy.

However, since making my investment I now realize the company will neither thrive nor serve this societal imperative in its current form. Twitter needs to be transformed as a private company.

yes, because this is such a vague topic. Does this have to deal with taking the bots offline, which would reduce revenue for Twitter (the need to buy it outright) or is this to allow Trump and the like to be able to come back on and say whatever they want?
My thoughts:
Counter acting the self reinforcing feedback loop of targeted content
Bot clean up
Verification improvement?
Unbanning (goes with removal of biased linkages)

People saying false things is less harmful if they can be rebutted.

Haha, only in the sense that Elon was the original owner of the X.com domain (goes back as far as the Zip2 days, I think), and he has now bought back the domain name.

Cheers!
He bought it back a number of years ago.

To be honest, I think he just did it because he wanted a simple, reliable non-https site wifi network redirection would work on without tripping browser security. Although, I might be projecting.

Yes. If they're suing Elon for some weirdness over SEC filings connected with losing money on TWTR transactions... they will surely sue Twitter for refusing a $54/share offer when the stock was $39 ten days ago

FWIW from my reading of twitters articles of incorporation, fear of such a lawsuit would seem the main thing Elon has going for him here (assuming the board is otherwise against selling to him)- because the board appears pretty well positioned to prevent him taking over the company if they say no and wish to prevent that.

Actually, I think Sasha Yanshin has a pretty good bead on this one. He thinks it was necessary for Elon to delay reporting to creep up on the 10% threshold, and he will simply settle the lawsuit out of court (he'll just pay them the difference between whatever they sold at before they knew Elon was buying, and his 'best and final bid' of $54.20 per share)

He further thinks that Elon has 10 days after the end of the month in which he passes 10% ownership before he has to report the change. And at a rate of ~2% share accumulation per trading session, Elon may be able to exceed 50% common share ownership BEFORE he is required to report that he even has over 10% :D

And, Elon could be accumulating on the open market right now. and that he's effectively 'capped' the shareprice at $54.20 for the duration while he's accumulating a majority of voting shares.

This is some serious 4-D chess. Sasha's whole video is good analysis IMO, well worth the 18 min to watch the whole thing:

Cheers!

Last edited:
My thoughts:
Counter acting the self reinforcing feedback loop of targeted content
Bot clean up
Verification improvement?
Unbanning (goes with removal of biased linkages)

People saying false things is less harmful if they can be rebutted.
False things less harmful when they can be rebutted?
I have news for you. We have years and years of proof the larger effect is a megaphone for stupidity, contentious, angry attitudes that have spilled over into IRL, huge falsehoods that take hold because social media allows the amplification of tribalism, and unbelievably crazy conspiracies that thanks to all this grab hold of double-digit percentages of the population.
The net effect is a corrosion of society. We all see it. The timing of it coinciding with the rise of the internet isn’t a coincidence.

I have news for you. We have years and years of proof the larger effect is a megaphone for stupidity, contentious, angry attitudes that have spilled over into IRL, huge falsehoods that take hold because social media allows the amplification of tribalism, and unbelievably crazy conspiracies that thanks to all this grab hold of double-digit percentages of the population.
The net effect is a corrosion of society. We all see it. The timing of it coinciding with the rise of the internet isn’t a coincidence.
What news? Less harmful != not harmful

Agreed. This whole thing is just a train wreck. There is no big upside. Elon equates free speech to a functioning democracy which is correct, but then goes down the symantec rabbit hole that all speech even in private platforms should be free. Even if Elon 'fixes' twitter and people are free to say whatever they want , America and the world will not be a suddenly better place. Elections won't be free and more fair. Democracies won't spring up where there are dictatorships.

All that will happen is that political discourse on Twitter will be even more poison and filled with hate then now. Elon has a particular interest in making sure that places like the Babylon Bee are free to say whatever they want on Twitter. And the misgendering thing will be a major point. The Bee was knocked offline for purposefully misgendering people to prove a point. And when that right is upheld on Twitter, it will just bring another landslide of hate and anger against trans people. Will the world end? No. Will it be better for it? No.

Twitter could be improved with honesty. Accounts should not be shadow banned or shadow throttled. But it is ok for there to be rules. Case in point, the Babylon Bee has a HUGE following and multiple paths to publish including their very own site. They are free to publish there. Their rights are not being impinged upon because Twitter has decided that they draw a line where they did.

All of this is just a huge waste of time for Elon, and will turn large groups of people against Elon, Tesla and SpaceX for very little gain. Already there is a huge following of people who won't buy a Tesla because of some false narrative about Elon. If this goes through, there will be even more of those people, for some reasons not false. In addition, the amount of TSLA he will probably have to sell will hurt shareholders as well.

Elon should start his own alternative, which in my opinion would actually take LESS of his time and could be more easily farmed out to other people without his involvement. It would cost millions, not billions. Then he won't be seen as wrecking twitter, and he will be doing more for actual free speech then altering twitter to his own views. And no, I don't own a single share of Twitter, and find it highly overvalued. So yes, Elon's offer is a good one. They are fools not to take it. Even if it will cause Elon more harm to himself, Tesla and maybe overall.

Last edited:
I wonder if Elon got the idea after his interview with the Babylon Bee? Babylon Bee is yet another voice currently under a twitter ban.
And the Babylon Bee is all over social media. They have their own website. They do not agree not to misgender people. While I may not draw a line in the sand there, those are the rules for Twitter. Don't like it, your speech is NOT being infringed. You can post that stuff on your own website or on many other platforms.

So, is the world going to be a better place if the Babylon Bee can misgender people on Twitter? Will the world be a better place if teams of trolls run around twitter harassing transgender people? Is democracy and civil political discourse enhanced by that? Because the Babylon Bee certainly is not being silenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.