Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could have been right if Kanye had been saying certain things on Twitter which violate the TOS
1669932887142.png

Can you tell me which part of this tweet is in violation of Twitter TOS?

I’m seeing a guy who was apparantly criticised by Jewish organisations for being antisemitic and says he can’t be antisemitic ‘because all black people are Jew’. A stupid statement, but which rule does it break?

Edit: I may have misread Kanye’s tweet. I thought he was referring to a video game, not to threatening death on Jews. If it was a death threat he should ofcourse have been banned for it. But I’m still not sure what exactly it says. Death Con? Defcon?

Last edited:
Something something Forest for the Trees.

Listen, it’s OK that you don’t understand why Elon bought Twitter….but to be willfully ignorant and keep parroting MSM talking points isn’t helpful.
He bought Twitter because he signed a binding agreement to do so as a joke and the courts would have held his feet to the fire if he didn't.

Elon said this last night

This post talks about pro Elon/Tesla people got banned

This post right after talks about how Elon is banning people who doesn't agree with him

And this post tells you all the accounts have been restored

Lastly Elon said this today

So pay attention before calling people fascist or else you're no better than TslaQ
Trying to get rid of bots is the right approach.,

There was always a chance that genuine posters get caught in the dragnet, that is part of the process of building a smarter dragnet.

It is a one time short term inconvenience, and the majority of genuine users should be able to easily be reinstated.

People need to reflect on Neuralink that is achieving things despite being well outside Elon's core expertise. Twitter is right down main street of Elon's core software expertise.

Elon was always going to attempt to solve problems with hardware, software, and Neural Nets, because that is how he rolls.

And they will start out very dumb and try to become slowly less dumb. It is the normal Elon playbook.

I don’t think it’s hard to understand why people downvoted your post (I didn’t, although I do disagree with your opinion). You could have been right if Kanye had been saying certain things on Twitter which violate the TOS, but you cannot ban people for what they say or do in their daily life.
Sure you can. How many professional sports players have been fined or suspended for things they've done off the field? Draymond Green was fined for something he did during practice, which at least was an event that was run by his team, but players have been suspended for domestic violence incidents that happened nowhere near any team event.
Twitter TOS doesn’t have any paragraph about how you should behave outside of Twitter, and rightfully so. It would be the same as you getting banned on TMC because you got arrested for drunk driving or harassing your neighbor (which you didn’t ofcourse). That would be unacceptable.
If Twitter or TMC had something in the TOS about how you are supposed to behave outside of the platform or forum, it would absolutely be acceptable. Another forum I am a part of has something in the TOS about not testing equipment with law enforcement or being a traffic enforcement officer. If you do it, or you are one, and they find out, you will be disciplined or banned.
It’s a policy which you would expect under totalitarian regimes like North Korea, China, Cuba or Russia, not in the US.
Like so many others, you are mixing government policy with terms of service of a privately owned platform or forum. Governments in free societies generally can't prosecute you for something you did out of their jurisdiction, but privately owned platforms and forums have none of those restrictions. And the big difference is, being banned from a private platform or forum doesn't take your freedoms away. They can't throw you in prison for violating their TOS; the most they can do is prevent you from having an account.

Thank you for explaining your perspective.

The large number of downvotes in this thread was recently addressed by a moderator. Personally, I had also noticed a lot of disagrees without explanation. It's not always apparent to me what exactly the other person has in mind, and I really do want to know. I try not to downvote at all. Can't remember when I last did. If I have a difference of opinion, I express it or keep quiet.

As far as the gentleman's agreement, I am happy that they did so without more drama. However, if we left off postulating about motives here we wouldn't have much to talk about.

That might be good :) . Dont know.
I stopped explaining my disagrees because someone got heavy handed, kept deleting my posts as attacks, which I felt they were not considering so many other posts of equal and mostly greater ‘venom’ being allowed to stay page after page.

Neither here nor there, I agree. There would be a lot less to talk about, which is what I think should happen. People need to ‘talk’ (post) less, become more introspective, and stop thinking their every opinion is something others really want to hear or that it’s even valuable.

And certainly repeating yourself post after post, page after page, makes you a prime example of whom you’re complaining about.

You might say, I’m not advocating for (absolutism or other descriptions) free speech despite some assuming I am because of my disagrees. As it is, imo, that some people shouldn’t have children, some people shouldn’t open their mouths/type and submit posts. And yes, for those on the other side of the aisle on *the* matter at hand, I’m aware they think Elon fits that category but they do not. Oh, the irony.

Last edited:
Sure you can. How many professional sports players have been fined or suspended for things they've done off the field? Draymond Green was fined for something he did during practice, which at least was an event that was run by his team, but players have been suspended for domestic violence incidents that happened nowhere near any team event.

Not comparable situations. As a (paid) player in a sports team you represent that team. What you do in your private life may reflect badly on that team/club, which is paying your salary.

Twitter has 450 million users who are not employed by Twitter like a professional sports player is. The behavior of those 450 million users in their private life does not reflect badly on Twitter.

If Twitter or TMC had something in the TOS about how you are supposed to behave outside of the platform or forum, it would absolutely be acceptable. Another forum I am a part of has something in the TOS about not testing equipment with law enforcement or being a traffic enforcement officer. If you do it, or you are one, and they find out, you will be disciplined or banned.

It sounds like something specific for that forum. If you’re not allowed to test it with police enforcement or be such an enforcer yourself, it’s perhaps something illegal and it could link what is discussed on that forum to illegal actions.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not comparable situations. As a (paid) player in a sports team you represent that team. What you do in your private life may reflect badly on that team/club, which is paying your salary.
You can make this argument about any organization and the type of people it chooses to employ or take in as members.
It sounds like something specific for that forum. If you’re not allowed to test it with police enforcement or be such an enforcer yourself, it’s perhaps something illegal and it could link what is discussed on that forum to illegal actions.
Nah, it's a forum about RADAR detectors (legal in most US states except Virginia) and LIDAR jammers (legal in the US in all but 10 states and DC). The idea is that testing with law enforcement might give them clues about how to defeat those devices. But the point is, privately owned platforms and forums can put whatever membership requirements they want to. The requirements do not need to make sense. If they say you have to dye your hair pink every March to be a member, then that's what you have to do.

So what law would Twitter break if then banned Holocaust deniers?

I have yet to see anything from Twitter about their Moderation Counsel, why accounts are getting banned (even if later re-instated), what’s being promoted now that $8 check marks are gone, or really any other guidance on “free speech” other than Elon reinstating banned accounts because he said so.

Twitter has 450 million users who are not employed by Twitter like a professional sports player is. The behavior of those 450 million users in their private life does not reflect badly on Twitter.

It sounds like something specific for that forum. If you’re not allowed to test it with police enforcement or be such an enforcer yourself, it’s perhaps something illegal and it would perhaps link what is discussed on that forum to illegal actions.
"The behavior of those 450 million users in their private life does not reflect badly on Twitter."

But this is the whole rub, as we would say. The analysis I think goes like this.

1. Twitter, for sure, is comparable to a newspaper.
2. Some would argue better than any newspaper for a couple of reasons: (a) as long as accounts are not parody accounts, the post comes straight from the source unedited, (b) the amount of information far exceeds any publication, and (c) unlike a newspaper, regular people can not only post, but interact with the celebrity/politician/athlete and maybe even get a response.

What's not to like? Human nature. The problem with Twitter is that it would be better than any newspaper ever but for the fact that the editorial function of a newspaper serves a purpose, and not a minor one. And that is to screen out the nonsense.

Twitter starts out as, amazingly, a newspaper which is given content for free.

But even with liability protection (for Twitter -- the ability to say that Twitter itself is not responsible for someone's tweet) the ability of random people and celebrities to throw crap out there is bound to be offensive, at a minimum, if unmoderated and can, and has, strayed into downright harmful territory.

The current reaction is that many of Elon's tweets (its hilarious, really, we actually get a tweet of an alleged meeting with Tim Cook? As a lawyer used to maintaining confidences, I just am unable to get my head around that) is based on the rather obvious take that he was in favor of less moderation, when Twitter was probably as close to unmoderated as you could get when he bought it.

ELON MUSK CLAIMS to be “fighting for free speech in America” but the social network’s new owner appears to be overseeing a purge of left-wing activists from the platform. Several prominent antifascist organizers and journalists have had their accounts suspended in the past week, after right-wing operatives appealed directly to Musk to ban them and far-right internet trolls flooded Twitter’s complaints system with false reports about terms of service violations. As the Los Angeles City Councilmember Mike Bonin noted on Twitter, the suspended users include Chad Loder, an antifascist researcher whose open-source investigation of the U.S. Capitol riot led to the identification and arrest of a masked Proud Boy who attacked police officers. The account of video journalist Vishal Pratap Singh, who reports on far-right protests in Southern California, has also been suspended.

In the same vein, here's another article which shows, among other things, that
Musk's tweets, even if later erased, aren't helping:

Taken together with progressive Prof. Seth Abramson's damning pinned Tweet thread from today
(which intimates that Musk's "bot purge" is only happening to left-wing worthies), it doesn't
look good for Musk.

Last edited:
In the same vein, here's another article which shows, among other things, that
Musk's tweets, even if later erased, aren't helping:

Lol at the clickbait title.. Never change, Vice!

The irony of Vice is that one of it’s co-founders is someone often referred to as a 1940’s German soldier. 🤣

I believe I misread his tweet. I thought he was going to play a game called Death Con 3. And then said ‘On Jewish people’ as meaning ‘About Jewish people I will say the following:’

Must be my English. My bad.

:oops:
He misspelled DEFCON…

These conspiracy theories about Kanye making death threats are just BlueAnon nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.