Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone noticed a lot more ads ("promoted" tweets) when browsing someone's tweets? Doesn't appear in Elon's tweets or lists (which is what I use primarily to get information), but if you go to someone's homepage and look at their tweets, there's one promoted tweet per every few tweets by this person, an interesting change from before.

There's a shorter word for them. "Ads"

This type of automated identity checking tactic is used by essentially every platform out there (Facebook, SnapChat, WhatsApp etc), and there is an entire ecosystem which farms and sells fake identities and tools to manage them specifically to bypass these checks.

The bots tend to be experts at this, and simple spot checks will not weed out much other than the least sophisticated ones, which also tend to be low volume. The big guys? They farm fake identities by the hundreds of thousands. Kill off a few - they'll make more.
Don't forget things like the 50 cent army, where "bots" are actually humans that can easily bypass bot detection (because they aren't actually bots in the first place). It's not that hard to hire people to make fake posts (or vote in an internet poll) when there is plenty of cheap labor available in other countries.

Anyone noticed a lot more ads ("promoted" tweets) when browsing someone's tweets? Doesn't appear in Elon's tweets or lists (which is what I use primarily to get information), but if you go to someone's homepage and look at their tweets, there's one promoted tweet per every few tweets by this person, an interesting change from before.
I don't use Twitter (other than clicking through with someone linking a tweet in a post), but I wouldn't be surprised. If there really was a max exodus of advertisers like Elon seems to be making a big deal of, then serving ads more frequently may increase impression rates for the existing advertisers and get more revenue from them.

Can you tell me which part of this tweet is in violation of Twitter TOS?
“You may not threaten violence against an individual or a group of people”

I think the first sentence can very reasonably be construed as a threat, “cleverly” disguised as a misunderstanding of the spelling of DEFCON 3. My guess is the misspelling was intentional. Note the use of the word “on.”

I’d say this anti-Semitic tweet might pass the Twitter rules (if they do not prohibit anti-Semitic Tweets outright) if that “typo” were fixed. That fix would convert that sentence to complete nonsense (it would make no sense), rather than a threat.

The fact that using the correct term DEFCON 3 in the sentence results in nonsense also strongly suggests the original phrasing was intentional. You don’t go DEFCON 3 on anyone. You go to DEFCON 3, period.

Veiled threats not allowed either, of course. Can argue and argue, but just pull the Tweet and suspend the account until it is fixed. Straightforward. Fix the ambiguity and remove the veiled threat. And don’t allow repeated violations of course. No one is cancelled or silenced, and people can say anything they want (within the rules of course). Common sense. Free.

Anyhow…
B9FBD584-1A23-4EB2-BA4D-0DC42BBA51E9.jpeg

I stopped explaining my disagrees because someone got heavy handed, kept deleting my posts as attacks, which I felt they were not considering so many other posts of equal and mostly greater ‘venom’ being allowed to stay page after page.

Neither here nor there, I agree. There would be a lot less to talk about, which is what I think should happen. People need to ‘talk’ (post) less, become more introspective, and stop thinking their every opinion is something others really want to hear or that it’s even valuable.

And certainly repeating yourself post after post, page after page, makes you a prime example of whom you’re complaining about.

You might say, I’m not advocating for (absolutism or other descriptions) free speech despite some assuming I am because of my disagrees. As it is, imo, that some people shouldn’t have children, some people shouldn’t open their mouths/type and submit posts. And yes, for those on the other side of the aisle on *the* matter at hand, I’m aware they think Elon fits that category but they do not. Oh, the irony.
I was hoping you lay out reasoning for this topic instead we get a personal status quo.
That does not explain the sharing of generous mass downvoting.
Would be happy if you could comment on the recent developments concerning Twitter.

?

Reactions: Matias
Veiled threats not allowed either, of course. Can argue and argue, but just pull the Tweet and suspend the account until it is fixed. Straightforward. Fix the ambiguity and remove the veiled threat. And don’t allow repeated violations of course. No one is cancelled or silenced, and people can say anything they want (within the rules of course). Common sense. Free.

He apparently just fixed it.

This type of automated identity checking tactic is used by essentially every platform out there (Facebook, SnapChat, WhatsApp etc), and there is an entire ecosystem which farms and sells fake identities and tools to manage them specifically to bypass these checks.

The bots tend to be experts at this, and simple spot checks will not weed out much other than the least sophisticated ones, which also tend to be low volume. The big guys? They farm fake identities by the hundreds of thousands. Kill off a few - they'll make more.
There’s the spirit.

I was hoping you lay out reasoning for this topic instead we get a personal status quo.
That does not explain the sharing of generous mass downvoting.
Would be happy if you could comment on the recent developments concerning Twitter.

?
I’ve explained multiple times. But let me try one more time just for you.

My disagrees are because I ‘disagree’ with the content, idea, or sentiment of a post. I disagree with the repetitiveness of arguments, slogans, labels, political jabbing etc…, the continued nurturing of negativity, anger and hatred, the lack of self awareness, the inability to see anything but what an individual wants to see, the very specific searching for the next thing to get up in arms about, and the fact that none of it is a solution but rather just adds to the toxic heap that people have become and try so hard to maintain.

I have no comment on the recent developments concerning Twitter for all the reasons above and many more, and as I just explained in a recent post I don’t think most people *here* should comment either.

I will continue to express myself using the ratings system provided by this site regardless of what anyone thinks of me doing so. And for the record, I give out far more positive ratings than disagrees. I also don’t hold grudges. If content changes, I will rate accordingly.

If this answer is not satisfactory to you, feel free to PM me and I will give you the answer that’s against forum rules.

If this answer is not satisfactory to you, feel free to PM me and I will give you the answer that’s against forum rules.
Forum rules apply in PM as well as public communications. I believe you were joking, but just a reminder to all. PMs can and are often reported for content violation.
;)

From an NYT article this morning on findings from a research group:

"The shift in speech is just the tip of a set of changes on the service under Mr. Musk. Accounts that Twitter used to regularly remove — such as those that identify as part of the Islamic State, which were banned after the U.S. government classified ISIS as a terror group — have come roaring back. Accounts associated with QAnon, a vast far-right conspiracy theory, have paid for and received verified status on Twitter, giving them a sheen of legitimacy."

IS or IS-adjacent material is beyond the pale. I don’t care what the law says or doesn’t say. And QAnon is of course a moronic pox on civilization.

The story's main points were less useful I think and regarded the research group’s finding about the number of slurs against various groups jumping in the first two weeks of Elon’s ownership.
Those about Black Americans went from an average of 1,282 times a day to 3,876 times a day....those about "gay men appeared on Twitter 2,506 times a day on average before Mr. Musk took over. Afterward, their use rose to 3,964 times a day. And antisemitic posts referring to Jews or Judaism soared more than 61 percent in the two weeks after Mr. Musk acquired the site."

This latter has to be qualified. I think it likely that was just people who do that kind of BS reacting enthusiastically to what THEY thought the new ownership meant, and doesn’t reflect what Elon’s thinking for Twitter was, or any changes he has since made to moderation.
But still, not what any decent person wanted to see and it’s something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.