Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would there have to be Twitter files on blocking Tweetbot and other apps? Aren't these apps designed to access Twitter without actually going to Twitter, thereby robbing the platform of potential ad revenue?
Because the third party apps are actually better than the Twitter app itself, thereby giving people a better experience. Regardless Tweetbot is back up now.

Because the third party apps are actually better than the Twitter app itself, thereby giving people a better experience. Regardless Tweetbot is back up now.

It could very well be that those apps are better, but that is not the issue. if I would build an app scalping newspaper articles from behind paywalls it might also offer a better experience, but the newspapers would be very unhappy. I know that is not the correct comparison because Twitter content is free, but the principle is the same. The apps circumvent the ads on Twitter, which is costing Twitter ad revenue. I wouldn't be surprised if they get suspended or have to show Twitter ads.

Those numbers are pretty misleading. You’ve deducted the current market cap from the market cap at ATH, and then attribute almost all of that loss to the CEO’s behavior.
The CEO's primary role is to increase shareholder value and Tesla was one of the worst performing stocks of 2022:

Brand analysts have documented a stunning decline in public perception that does not appear to correlate with war, inflation, fires, etc. but does appear to correlate with Elon's behavior:

1673809185544.png

And industry peers agree:

1673809094414.png

So yeah, you can armchair quarterback about China and interest rates all you want, but the world's leading experts almost unanimously agree that Elon bears significant responsibility for this unprecedented crash. And that's exactly the kind of thing that CEO's get fired for.

Why would there have to be Twitter files on blocking Tweetbot and other apps? Aren't these apps designed to access Twitter without actually going to Twitter, thereby robbing the platform of potential ad revenue?
It could very well be that those apps are better, but that is not the issue. if I would build an app scalping newspaper articles from behind paywalls it might also offer a better experience, but the newspapers would be very unhappy. I know that is not the correct comparison because Twitter content is free, but the principle is the same. The apps circumvent the ads on Twitter, which is costing Twitter ad revenue. I wouldn't be surprised if they get suspended or have to show Twitter ads.
It isn't scalping if you're using an official API published by the service in question. Twitter API Documentation

Publishing an API like that is a commitment to maintaining it and keeping it running. On the other hand, if you are using non-public APIs (like the Wifi Analyzer app was doing on iOS) then things can break at any time and you have no recourse because the developers never promised you anything. If they want to discontinue the API or update it to serve up ads as tweets, they can do so, but this should be announced prior to taking it down or making the updates.

Last edited:
By that logic then apps like Feedly, or Tapatalk or countless others should not be allowed to supply free news or discussions. Twitter can benefit by users accessing them in any way. If they feel so strongly then make it a fully paid app. But they won’t.

Further, here's a general update from today's hearing with Judge Chen, whereby the venue change away from San Francisco was denied. Chen is already disqualifying potential jurors based on the questionnaires, particularly ones who called Musk an "idiot" or a "buffoon":

Aaaaannnddd...... the advertisers are back!

Or maybe not.

The tech company is dangling free ad space by offering to match advertisers’ ad spending up to $250,000, according to emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

I consider anything I read in the Wall Street Journal, which is where this reporting is from, totally unreliable. But it might be worth tracking this story to see if there's any truth to it.
The WSJ is a solid news organization with a rightward tilt on its editorial pages. It iemploys the best extant auto writer, Dan Neil, and he’s pretty clearly pro EV, has written accurately and approvingly of Tesals, and is a fully reliable source of information on all things automotive. Period.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
“Penny-wise, pound foolish“ is not 4-D chess.

Twitter's New York office has a cockroach problem

Since acquiring Twitter in October, Elon Musk has continued to cut costs, laying off more than half the company's workers and deciding against renegotiating the contracts of facilities maintenance workers who handled in-office supplies and cleaning in New York and San Francisco.

The CEO's primary role is to increase shareholder value and Tesla was one of the worst performing stocks of 2022:

Brand analysts have documented a stunning decline in public perception that does not appear to correlate with war, inflation, fires, etc. but does appear to correlate with Elon's behavior:

View attachment 896079

And industry peers agree:

View attachment 896075

So yeah, you can armchair quarterback about China and interest rates all you want, but the world's leading experts almost unanimously agree that Elon bears significant responsibility for this unprecedented crash. And that's exactly the kind of thing that CEO's get fired for.

Zoom out. TSLA up 7600%. None of those CEOs can claim that kind of multi-decade growth with a top-50 world-wide company. Zero, not one (and I checked!). And many of those CEOs are either of competitors, or Oil/Gas interests that would be a completely biased "vote" against Elon.

You do realize you are just like, pissing in the wind, right? There is ZERO chance Elon is removed as CEO, unless he himself wants to pass on the reigns. He controls too much of the company, and has voting rights for even more shares than he actually owns. It would take 90+% of all other shareholders to vote to remove him. With people like me and others that still don't see a problem, that's an impossible hurdle to surmount.

No, Elon's here to stay, so you should just get used to it.

It isn't scalping if you're using an official API published by the service in question. Twitter API Documentation

Publishing an API like that is a commitment to maintaining it and keeping it running. On the other hand, if you are using non-public APIs (like the Wifi Analyzer app was doing on iOS) then things can break at any time and you have no recourse because the developers never promised you anything. If they want to discontinue the API or update it to serve up ads as tweets, they can do so, but this should be announced prior to taking it down or making the updates.

Actually, and I know this because I've had to work with some companies like Twitter, but just because it's published as a function in the API doesn't NOT mean that the Terms of Service for using that API allow for "mass scraping" of data. I don't know what Twitter's ToS allow for, but I have a few customers that even though they have a published API, their ToS don't allow for mass-data scraping.

Actually, and I know this because I've had to work with some companies like Twitter, but just because it's published as a function in the API doesn't NOT mean that the Terms of Service for using that API allow for "mass scraping" of data. I don't know what Twitter's ToS allow for, but I have a few customers that even though they have a published API, their ToS don't allow for mass-data scraping.
An app that is user-interactive and grabs data only on request isn't "mass scraping".

An app that is user-interactive and grabs data only on request isn't "mass scraping".

Not what I was referring to. I was talking about Terms of Service.

My point is, even if there is an API in Twitter that provides a mass scraping function, it's a moot point if doing something like that is explicitly against the Terms of Service.

Not what I was referring to. I was talking about Terms of Service.

My point is, even if there is an API in Twitter that provides a mass scraping function, it's a moot point if doing something like that is explicitly against the Terms of Service.
What was Tweetbot doing that was against the ToS? Note that changing the ToS and then claiming that Tweetbot violated the ToS, before a reasonable amount of time has elapsed to allow them to read and adapt to the changes the way Twitter did with Jack Sweeney's accounts, does not count as a ToS violation for the purposes of this discussion.

What was Tweetbot doing that was against the ToS?

I speculated it might be, I also said I wasn't going to read the ToS to find out.

Example: I run part of Uber's website. I can tell you for fact they don't allow their API to be used in order to "scrap prices" for different fares. People can check prices in the app and on the site, but they can't mass-check and publish.

That's all I was saying, that the bots might have gotten banned b/c of something that that. If you read the posts, it was speculation (again, not taking the time to dig through probably a 40-page ToS to see if there is language buried in there to cover that).

I speculated it might be, I also said I wasn't going to read the ToS to find out.

Example: I run part of Uber's website. I can tell you for fact they don't allow their API to be used in order to "scrap prices" for different fares. People can check prices in the app and on the site, but they can't mass-check and publish.

That's all I was saying, that the bots might have gotten banned b/c of something that that. If you read the posts, it was speculation (again, not taking the time to dig through probably a 40-page ToS to see if there is language buried in there to cover that).
I suspect that if there was a ToS violation that Tapbots was notified of and didn't address, a lawsuit would have been filed against Tapbots with Twitter as the plaintiff...especially given that Tapbots was making money off of Tweetbot.

View attachment 896079

Interesting analysis, but the following article from Elon's Twitter feed deserves consideration.

TaaS is an important concept and innovation around trust brokerage has the potential to be a globally disruptive force in media and politics. Short term considerations around brand positivity are probably less significant than the long-term upside potential for keeping narratives under control.

The "world's leading experts" might not recognize what this represents, or (if they do) might consider it a threat. Despite similar threats posed to Tesla by Big Oil and Well; Street speculators shorting the stock over the years, the company has managed to thrive.

Resilience, innovation and acting on unrecognized opportunities are not what gets a CEO fired. This needs to play out for a while before anyone can draw conclusions.

The WSJ is a solid news organization with a rightward tilt on its editorial pages. It iemploys the best extant auto writer, Dan Neil, and he’s pretty clearly pro EV, has written accurately and approvingly of Tesals, and is a fully reliable source of information on all things automotive. Period.
The editorial pages have always been drivel. But the rest of it has become steadily worse since Murdoch bought it. Dan Neil is an exception, for sure.

1. Intentionally breaking apps that extend your company’s reach.
  2. Not telling users what you’re doing before cutting them off.
Genius! /s 😜

Tweetbot is back down again

The client didn’t come back online because of anything that Twitter did. Haddad tells The Verge that they hadn’t heard anything from Twitter, so they “decided to start using new API keys and see if it fixes the problem.” This allowed Tweetbot to temporarily avoid any disruptions to the service, even if it put it in a semi-working state.

As pointed out by iOS developers Mysk, Tweetbot likely had issues when it came back online because it used different API keys that put significantly lower limits on its activity. “Twitter API restricts new apps to low limits,” Mysk explains. “All Tweetbot users now share a limit of 300 posts per 15 minutes.”

According to a report from The Information, Twitter may have disabled third-party apps purposefully. Internal messages viewed by the outlet reveal a senior software engineer saying that the outage is “intentional.” Another message reportedly says Twitter’s getting ready to issue statements to developers affected by the outage, although it’s unclear when that’ll be ready.

1. Intentionally breaking apps that extend your company’s reach.
  2. Not telling users what you’re doing before cutting them off.
Genius! /s 😜

Tweetbot is back down again

The client didn’t come back online because of anything that Twitter did. Haddad tells The Verge that they hadn’t heard anything from Twitter, so they “decided to start using new API keys and see if it fixes the problem.” This allowed Tweetbot to temporarily avoid any disruptions to the service, even if it put it in a semi-working state.

As pointed out by iOS developers Mysk, Tweetbot likely had issues when it came back online because it used different API keys that put significantly lower limits on its activity. “Twitter API restricts new apps to low limits,” Mysk explains. “All Tweetbot users now share a limit of 300 posts per 15 minutes.”

According to a report from The Information, Twitter may have disabled third-party apps purposefully. Internal messages viewed by the outlet reveal a senior software engineer saying that the outage is “intentional.” Another message reportedly says Twitter’s getting ready to issue statements to developers affected by the outage, although it’s unclear when that’ll be ready.
And it’s back down again. At the very minimum like you said, not giving any explanation is the sign of a poorly run organization. Basically Elon is saying he doesn’t care about the end users. Apple should remove them from the App Store, because why not? Maybe Apple should be making more off of them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.