Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what you're seeing is that people have a certain amount of tolerance for buying stuff they don't believe in if the price is low enough. Another example would be an oil company that exploits child labor. How many people would buy their gasoline if their stations were clearly marked and everyone knew people who go to those stations are paying to support child labor. How many people would buy their gasoline if it was discounted by 30% compared to everyone else's? 50%? 70%? At some point, you start to get people buying, and the lower the price goes, the more people are willing to set aside values for a discount. The situation with Tesla is likely the same, and what we should be asking is how much more money would they be getting for each vehicle if Elon had shut up?

Simple question - does it matter?

Literally selling every car they can build at these prices.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Of course it does. You want to be making as high of a profit off of each unit sold as you can. And if you are in management or on the BOD, you have a fiduciary duty to your shareholders to make sure that you're generating as much value for them as you can.

But profit optimization is NOT Tesla's stated mission. And even back in 2021 Elon Tweeted that prices would DROP as costs continued to drop (before supply chain fiasco).

The BOD is fully behind Elon on this. It's not "maximize shareholder returns" that is Tesla's mission, it never has been.

And given the 8000% return in the past 5 years or so, and a valuation larger than the next 7 auto manufs combined, anyone arguing that Tesla hasn't "maximized shareholder value" is going to have a REALLY hard argument to make and support.

Again - YOU and some here may have an axe to grind, but the majority of people out there just don't give a *sugar* about Elon and Twitter. Sales numbers (selling every car made while growing as fast as possible) back up that statement.

It's hilarious the degree of difference in the conversation in this thread and the main investors thread.

You have people in the main investors thread concerned about Tesla becoming a monopoly because of their efficiencies of scale, and here you have people hand-wringing the Elon has permanently damaged the brand.

The objective truth is probably in between. Tesla is fine, growing great and as fast as possible, but they will never be a monopoly.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
It's hilarious the degree of difference in the conversation in this thread and the main investors thread.

You have people in the main investors thread concerned about Tesla becoming a monopoly because of their efficiencies of scale, and here you have people hand-wringing the Elon has permanently damaged the brand.

The objective truth is probably in between. Tesla is fine, growing great and as fast as possible, but they will never be a monopoly.
I find it interesting that no one has really refuted my data points regarding take rates as someone who actually works in the auto industry.

If I’m wrong, I would love to know why.
Especially if it’s costing me sales.

I have a similar read on it. I think if the recent Twitter stuff happened when there were only 50,000 Teslas on the road it would have been much more detrimental. But at this point, if the concern is that the brand message has changed, that concern is heavily diluted by the number of cars on the road which are (theoretically) espousing the former brand message.

I do think continued public forays into culture war nonsense will continue to erode brand support, though I doubt he could say enough to entirely tank Tesla at this point. He's welcome to do what he wants, of course. I'm not a TSLA shareholder outside of index funds and never have been, so I also don't have any real financial anxiety tied to this. Just as an interested observer, it seems like the Twitter purchase and turn to being vocal on politics was probably not his greatest move. But people get bored doing the same thing all the time, I guess.
Agreed. The thing is, he’s being paid -- kinda well -- to manage his boredom in a more private fashion.

Reactions: JRP3 and bkp_duke
No, not just incredibly valuable, but that link shows it INCREASING in value. They are different.

No, I don't think Tesla is taking as many order as if Elon had shut up. But the important part of that is HOW MANY have they lost? People in this thread act as if the sky is falling and Tesla is doomed. The 44% YoY growth in spite of Shanghai being offline for a month due to COVID lockdowns and despite essentially a world-wide recession pretty much to me screams that "most people don't care about Elon's politics when buying a car". Along those lines, I just did a 3 week international trip, talking to a lot of people, both locals and US citizens travelling. With some of them the topic of Tesla did come up, lots of them had questions about the cars (the usual, how long does it take to charge, how far can it go, etc.). Not a single one mentioned Elon or his politics.

I would say outside of the HYPERSENTIVE GROUP in this thread, Elon's politics just don't mean that much to the bulk of people out there. Sure, you have people (in this hypersensitive group) that won't buy because of it, but it appears really low. If it wasn't, we would not see the cars selling like hot-cakes after the price drop (which only brought things back to early 2021 levels - let's not kid ourselves, this is not a "fire sale").
This is reasonable. A big problem with debating this, or even just discussing it is, it's hard to imagine metrics that could be useful.
Any sane person knows the brand has been hurt with its core audience but we probably can never know how much in the terms that matter, which are vehicle sales....... as much of the lost sales will be people who just decided to never consider Tesla. Or, conversely, who never actually would have bought one under any circumstance but would just tell a pollster they would’ve except for Elon.
Etc.

Last edited:
The situation with Tesla is likely the same, and what we should be asking is how much more money would they be getting for each vehicle if Elon had shut up?
CEOs have a fiduciary responsibility to shareholders. They can be sued, and in some cases charged criminally, if their actions have an adverse impact on stock price.

If his actions at Twitter have an adverse impact at Tesla, that's a conflict of interest. At a minimum, the board has a fiduciary responsibility to act on any CoIs from executives or they open themselves up to the same treatment.

The answer to your question is: not enough money has been lost to trigger a class action lawsuit or an investigation by the SDNY.

Not sure any other answer matters.

Reactions: advocate8
Will be interesting to see what happens to DWAC/TruthSocial if he does, seems guaranteed to tank the stock and damage the platform. His investors will not be happy.

I assume Trump has a financial stake in it? It's hard to see him leaving as they might as well close down TruthSocial if he leaves. Hard to see TruthSocial take off as well though in it's current situation. Has there been any other notable members of TruthSocial?

I assume Trump has a financial stake in it? It's hard to see him leaving as they might as well close down TruthSocial if he leaves. Hard to see TruthSocial take off as well though in it's current situation. Has there been any other notable members of TruthSocial?
Wouldn’t be the first company damaged by a Twitter addiction.

I think one thing I got out of this whole thread is the important of diversification. I think it's one thing to be all-in when there wasn't so much noise, but another thing when all the dust clouds started to get kicked up (and I think there was a difference when it was FUD against Tesla the company vs the dust Elon has kicked up). Regardless of your view on Elon, I think the prudent thing to have done is to at least diversify a bit or at the very least reduce margin exposure.

How does this relate to Twitter? Well I do not think one can argue in good faith that Twitter has had zero impact on Tesla, but people get hyperfocused on wanting to be right and ignoring the big picture (I imagine two people arguing about who has right of way on a road as a flood wave approaches them), and they only end up hurting themselves. Sure, some may end up ok in the end (or even become way ahead by "sticking it to the man"), but that's a gamble one has to take if they choose to remain all in. And even as those people say "see, I was right!" you have to remember risk tolerance and morality is going to be different for everyone.

Reactions: blckdmp
Status
Not open for further replies.