Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their ‘ideas’ are just getting normalized with more and more people.
There's the rub. Who decides what ideas shouldn't get discussed - let alone "normalized"? There is far too much cancel culture where it is easy to simply call a person a "Nazi" to shut down debate.

For instance, I think all of the advocacy in the transgender movement is ill-advised and can harm mentally confused children, but I don't want to shut down their ability to make the case in social media or public forums. If advocates can't defend their positions via public scrutiny, they have no business censoring people with opposing views.

If people are not advocating specific crimes or threatening other people with violence, I think we should have a pretty large tolerance for speech.

Check the part where the ACLU argued successfully to allow the real NAZIs a platform, e.g. public parades. That was of course last century.

You can't keep people from going out in public unless they've committed a crime.

The issue was that the American Nazi Party, which preaches hate, and which claims that the Holocaust never happened, applied for a permit to hold a march in a neighborhood of Skokie, Illinois, which was home to a very large number of Holocaust survivors. This was viewed by the Holocaust survivors as a threat of physical violence against them, by people with a history of physical violence.

The ACLU took the absolutist free speech position, and without being asked by any party to the court case, filed an amicus brief arguing in favor of requiring the city to issue the permit. FWIW, this was when I quit giving money to the ACLU. I now support the Center For Constitutional Rights instead. Around the same time the ACLU filed an amicus brief in another court case, in which it argued, again from a free speech perspective, that tobacco companies should be allowed to advertise tobacco in venues where those ads would be seen by children. Note that U.S. law already has restrictions against certain kinds of speech. Free-speech absolutism is very much a minority view. Incitement to violence is illegal, and that was the issue at stake in the Skokie case: Were the Nazis inciting to violence?

In the end, IIRC, the permit was granted but the march was never held, as the Nazis, who advocated the murder of all Jews, feared for their own safety if they held the march in that venue.

I think Musk's pivot, slashing prices to drive demand, was savvy. He always bets the farm and this gamble could pay off. I disagree with his bloviation about Twitter. "I've got 127 million followers. And it continues to grow rapidly. That's that suggests that I'm reasonably popular. I might not be popular with some people. But for the vast majority of people, like the follower count speaks for itself." No it doesn't! It speaks to the fact that Musk is a very insecure guy. Perhaps because he is such a big gambler? At any rate, if TSLA keeps beating the numbers I'll have to start calling Musk, Elon again.

People follow others on Twitter (or other social media) for different reasons. They may follow people they like. They may follow people they dislike to see what they're up to or to be able to excoriate them for their pronouncements. They may follow people who are in the public eye in order to be informed about current events. Since Musk owns Twitter, a lot of people may follow him because they're interested in what's going on at Twitter.

People follow others on Twitter (or other social media) for different reasons. They may follow people they like. They may follow people they dislike to see what they're up to or to be able to excoriate them for their pronouncements. They may follow people who are in the public eye in order to be informed about current events. Since Musk owns Twitter, a lot of people may follow him because they're interested in what's going on at Twitter.
I'm not following anyone on Twitter, but I am paying attention to the story of what's happening at Twitter for the same reason people watch NASCAR and the same reason people would look at two locomotives heading toward each other on the same track with insufficient distance for either of them to stop before they try to occupy the same place at the same time.

... Twitter -> Any time I get caught up in a thread with multiple people where I have no idea who is talking to who

I don't use Twitter. The only time I see tweets are when someone posts a screenshot here or on the other forum I'm on. I can never tell who is writing or who they're answering or speaking to. I'm gratified to see that I'm not the only one who finds Twitter's format opaque.

(I also find the short format antagonistic to any sort of nuance or substantive post. Twitter demands simplistic comments, most conducive to negative thoughts, such as hate, bigotry, and conspiracy theories.)

Elon bringing only the best people back to Twitter

Well, guess who got banned again?

What's the point in letting all of these idiots back on? There's a reason they were banned in the first place. This is like letting criminals out of prison who don't have a good reason to get a pardon. They end up back in prison and the only difference is that society has to put up with more of their crimes until they get put back in the slammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.