Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Continuing from the main investors' thread about Elon's credibility on Twitter...

But Elon mixes tweets about Tesla and SpaceX with tweets about all sorts of other things, along with replies and likes of various other tweets. So any credibility he might have about those things he is responsible for and knows something about (e.g. Tesla and SpaceX) is diluted by his relentless babbling about things about which he knows nothing and seems to rely on the unsupported opinions of people who know even less.

So, yeah, certainly to the neutral observer, especially journalists, Elon's tweets have no credibility. Anybody who thinks otherwise should take a careful look at his relentless spew over there rather than just the cherry-picked Tesla relevant stuff that's copied over here.

Continuing from the main investors' thread about Elon's credibility on Twitter...

But Elon mixes tweets about Tesla and SpaceX with tweets about all sorts of other things, along with replies and likes of various other tweets. So any credibility he might have about those things he is responsible for and knows something about (e.g. Tesla and SpaceX) is diluted by his relentless babbling about things about which he knows nothing and seems to rely on the unsupported opinions of people who know even less.

So, yeah, certainly to the neutral observer, especially journalists, Elon's tweets have no credibility. Anybody who thinks otherwise should take a careful look at his relentless spew over there rather than just the cherry-picked Tesla relevant stuff that's copied over here.
So you're saying he just got street cred?

Reactions: bkp_duke
Rand Paul weighed in on Wednesday to brownnose billionaire trollboy Twitter owner Elon Musk in Musk's still-unexplained and one-sided battle against ... NPR, of all things. Earlier in the week Musk had, after getting through his previous top priorities of stripping The New York Times of its "verified" Twitter status and replacing the Twitter logo with a "doge" meme, told the site's engineers to add a "state-affiliated media" warning label to NPR's site account.

He did this despite NPR plainly and factually not qualifying for that "state-affiliated" tag according to Twitter's own declared rules—which became awkward when journalists and internet meanies alike took screenshots of those rules in which Twitter itself had used NPR as a named example of a media account that wouldn't qualify for the tag. Twitter eventually removed NPR as its example, but didn't change the public rules it had presented.

So Elon, whose companies rely extensively on government money and have been repeatedly saved from bankruptcy due to that federal money, is just flat-out wrong on this one. If anyone cares.

BTW, speaking of San Francisco. I spent the weekend in San Francisco. Didn't see any crime or violence or homeless people or drugs or addicts. Just a lot of happy people enjoying the city.
I'm sure there are bad parts of the city just like there have always been bad parts in every city, but really, San Francisco is a beautiful city with lots of good people having a good time. Recommend a visit.

transcript:

CARLSON: Welcome, Elon, we’re delighted you could take the time to come and talk with us! Our audience LOVES you! Now, at least.

MUSK: Tucker, I’m glad you invited me, and I’ve been looking forward to this and to reaching some of your viewers who may not have caught me on the BBC, ha ha.

CARLSON: Oh you’d be surprised. Anyway, let's get to it!

MUSK: Great! And if I can ask a favor... I had some of our clever engineers hack into Fox’s servers... just to save time! And if its OK, I want to start a little digital timer up in the corner there for viewers. Humor me and I’ll explain a little later. Ha ha.

CARLSON: What? Oh.. uh...

MUSK: Ha ha. Time is important. The clock is ticking for all of us. But ... I know you’re not interested in climate change. So I’m not even going to talk about that, or saving the planet. You’re probably not interested in that, either. Or even Mars. Deal?

CARLSON: Great! yeah! And...

MUSK: But of course the underlying reason you asked me here is I’m pretty well known because of a car company and so I think it’s not just fair, but really important we talk about Tesla. So... oh... ha ha. I had the engineers feed in a few clips here I really think your viewers will understand. But first let’s get at the heart of why Tesla is going so well. We have tried to create the most modern, efficient manufacturing processes anywhere. This video shows a gigafactory, this one is in Austin, and you can see how automated the processes are.
We have two of these factories making cars in the United States, with great American workers, thousands of them.

CARLSON: Wow, is that a Gigapress? I’ve heard they can...

MUSK: Yeah. Save dozens of parts and assembly operations. And in that same factory we’ve begun making our own car batteries. And we’re building semi-trucks -- we call them Semis, ha ha.. that has a meaning I didn’t know about when I did it. Well, I kind of did, but not really. I think. Ha ha. But the real point? What made all this possible?

CARLSON: White people, no woke BS, right? and no unions.

MUSK: Well, what I was going to say -- yeah, no unions, we try to pay well and do good benefits so why would you need that? -- but the real point the thing that made all that possible?
Our cars are just FASTER. They kick ass. All of them. Forget carbon emissions, forget saving humanity, saving the planet.
I’ll show you. We’re going to roll this video.... this is our small car, the Model 3 and a Hellcat. Ouch! Ha ha. And watch this one, this is a Model Y.. just a small family SUV and let’s see ... a Mustang gt500 -- Ford sucks! Ha ha!.... a Camaro SS .... GM REALLY sucks!....and just for fun and old Ferrari Daytona. ... All right, smoked them.
One more, this is our Model X plaid, basically a medium sized family SUV with a little tuning and it’s lining up with a McLaren, my first supercar actually. Not really close was it?
Ok, and this next one is really fun...

CARLSON: Ok, but can we talk about woke stuff and Biden?

MUSK: Yeah, absolutely. But yeah...Here’s our Model S, a mid-sized family sedan....and a whole bunch of Corvettes....one of every generation of Corvette ever made. And just for you, Tucker, I made sure they stuck one in that is an exactly duplicate of Biden’s... a green 1967 convertible.

CARLSON: Wow! Biden’s car really got crushed, it was like, 7th! That Model S did him like Trump is going to next...

MUSK: Yeah yeah... and that timer up in the corner of your viewers' screen? We just stopped it. That’s how long it takes to top off at a pretty typical supercharger stop.
We have this great network of them. You can drive anywhere. And you can just drive around crapping all over Camaros and Chargers and Corvettes like you just saw and charging in our huge network costs about half what gas costs.
And at home? You can change up for about one quarter the cost of gas.

CARLSON: Yeah that’s great but...

MUSK: And by the end of this year our great American workers in Austin will be cranking out Cyber Trucks. Afraid of gangs? Bulletproof! Drive anywhere! Charge it at home off the grid with our batteries and solar roofs! How can you be a prepper unless you have an EV, right? And our new factories in Austin and Berlin are really ramping up and we’re planning even more and a high volume model. And the company is essentially debt-free. Great investment!

CARLSON:Well, we’re out of time, Elon, I’d really like to have you b ack to talk about wokeness, white Christians and how corrupt libs and the Biden’s are right? Can you do that?

MUSK: Oh absolutely. And I’ll bring more videos, next time of the pickup and the semi in action. WHat’s more American than the toughest, badass pickup or an 18-wheeler. Maybe we’ll tape one hauling a bunch of AR-15s for you!
And just one more thing, I want to talk directly to your core audience because I think the lying media has ...

CARLSON: Yeah!

MUSK: The lying media has really done a number on them about EVs. So, ha ha, folks, I’m making a no-spin zone, right here.
And it all comes down to just one question... do you want to be the driver kicking all the ass. And I do mean ALL of it?
Or do you want to be GETTING your asses kicked?
VERY creative, I think you should definitely send it to Elon so he has some pointed topics, and see’s the real opportunity. I do have ONE add though, might make the point ever better.

MUSK: Yeah yeah... and that timer up in the corner of your viewers' screen? We just stopped it. That’s how long it takes to top off at a pretty typical supercharger stop. And in that same period of time our factories just produced seven more cars. If you would invite me back tomorrow at the same time, we could keep the timer going and then mark at what point ONE more GM Hummer would have been built. ;-)

BTW, speaking of San Francisco. I spent the weekend in San Francisco. Didn't see any crime or violence or homeless people or drugs or addicts. Just a lot of happy people enjoying the city.

If you claim you spent an entire weekend in SF without seeing any violence I can easily believe that.

If you claim you spent an entire weekend in SF without seeing any homeless I can be pretty certain you've never been to SF (or never left the airport perhaps).

BTW your dailykos link is also hilariously deceptive regarding your claim the government has "repeatedly saved (his companies) from bankruptcy"--- among the examples it gives are:

The charging $ in the infrastructure bill--- which is available to anybody and of which Tesla has thusfar received roughly $0.00. And was already sitting with nearly no debt and 20 billion in cash before the bill was even passed so unclear how they were "saved from bankruptcy" by that one.

See also the emissions credits- which are also not government money. Those are credits (not cash) that you get by making clean cars. You CAN sell them to people who insist on making dirty cars, in a private transaction though.

Likewise the story (or the stories it links to as sources) count a slew of other things that aren't Tesla handouts- they're standard things EVERYBODY in whatever industry gets (like solar installation credits for example... or simply local/state government tax credits for adding jobs to an area).

The NASA SAVES SPACEX thing is even funnier... because they didn't give donate $ to SpaceX... they purchased services from them- you know, the BUSINESS OF THE COMPANY. Not only that, NASA got cheap, excellent, service from a US company by doing it- with SpaceX reliably delivering cargo (and now people) to space cheaper and faster than anyone else and without having to rely on Russia for any of it.

The nearest thing in any of it to "saving" his company was the 2010 DoE loan they took for 465 million. Ford took one for 5.9 BILLION from the same program.

Tesla paid theirs off 9 years early, with interest. Ford did not, and only just finished paying it off last year.

Tesla paid theirs off 9 years early, with interest. Ford did not, and only just finished paying it off last year.
I think that GM has still not paid back their "loan".

(BTW, my visit to SF covered the area (walking) from the Ferry Building to the new Presidio Park which is beautiful as well as a few streets back from the Bay at various locations walking and driving... so pretty much the entire Bay side of the city. No crime, violence, drugs, addicts or homeless people.)

(BTW, my visit to SF covered the area (walking) from the Ferry Building to the new Presidio Park which is beautiful as well as a few streets back from the Bay at various locations walking and driving... so pretty much the entire Bay side of the city. No crime, violence, drugs, addicts or homeless people.)

That's a google maps view of your route.

That's street view literally at the end of the ferry building at the start, showing some homeless shelter/tents just off to the left across the street.
Like- literally at the START of the route you claimed you saw none on.

That's like 2 blocks down the street- homeless tent on the left side.

Another couple blocks there's a homeless person pushing their belonging in a big cart on the right

Several blocks later, this one I zoomed across the street to get you a nice closeup of the homeless person and the mattress on the ground

Mind you- we've gone less than 0.5 miles on the >4 mile route you claim you travelled without seeing any so far...

Another block down, more homeless (green tarp covering on left side of street)

Anyway, let's jump ahead to the next major street you've had gone down:
Looking to the right we've got one homeless person just past the light with a bit of luggage laying on the sidewalk...and across the street on the left another huddled down in the entry to a building

Multiple homeless in tents under the awnings of weirdly a Hyatt hotel

I'm already north of half a dozen examples of homeless on your route, and haven't even travelled half the route yet.

And that's in what's probably the LEAST populated by homeless part of the city (since nobody without real shelter would want to sleep directly next to the bay and the cold/wet winds)

If you'd bothered going a few blocks INTO the city it gets a lot worse.

Here's an SF government website where people file requests to have homeless camps cleared out:
10 requests per page, and even on page 19 there's 3/10 still listed as open

Last edited:
That's a google maps view of your route.

That's street view literally at the end of the ferry building at the start, showing some homeless shelter/tents just off to the left across the street.
Like- literally at the START of the route you claimed you saw none on.

That's like 2 blocks down the street- homeless tent on the left side.

Another couple blocks there's a homeless person pushing their belonging in a big cart on the right

Several blocks later, this one I zoomed across the street to get you a nice closeup of the homeless person and the mattress on the ground

Mind you- we've gone less than 0.5 miles on the >4 mile route you claim you travelled without seeing any so far...

Another block down, more homeless (green tarp covering on left side of street)

Anyway, let's jump ahead to the next major street you've had gone down:
Looking to the right we've got one homeless person just past the light with a bit of luggage laying on the sidewalk...and across the street on the left another huddled down in the entry to a building

Multiple homeless in tents under the awnings of weirdly a Hyatt hotel

I'm already north of half a dozen examples of homeless on your route, and haven't even travelled half the route yet.

And that's in what's probably the LEAST populated by homeless part of the city (since nobody without real shelter would want to sleep directly next to the bay and the cold/wet winds)

Here's an SF government website where people file requests to have homeless camps cleared out:
10 requests per page, and even on page 19 there's 3/10 still listed as open
Thanks for your conscientious research. They must have cleaned these up since the photos were taken.

I'm sure there are bad parts of the city just like there have always been bad parts in every city, but really, San Francisco is a beautiful city with lots of good people having a good time. Recommend a visit.
Can you please pas that cheerful positive message to scores of retail establishments that have closed and moved out of SF?

I am sure they moved out based on incorrect news paper and social media reports mistakenly

Thanks for your conscientious research. They must have cleaned these up since the photos were taken.

SF government had been doing illegal sweeps of the homeless, in defiance of (federal) court orders... so I suppose you might've been lucky enough to be there for a few hours right after such a sweep hit that part of the city.

Of course they come right back afterward- since they literally have nowhere else to go. See that city reporting link I mentioned, many of which are frustrated citizens citing the fact they're reporting a camp that was previously swept out and then just came back.

Oh, dear.

Elon Musk Tosses Out Wild, Unsubstantiated Claim During Tucker Carlson Interview

A teaser trailer of Twitter CEO Elon Musk’s upcoming interview with Fox News host Tucker Carlson was released Sunday—which features Musk making the extremely serious (and currently unsubstantiated) allegation that various unnamed government agencies had full access to Twitter users’ direct messages before his takeover.

Oh, dear.

Elon Musk Tosses Out Wild, Unsubstantiated Claim During Tucker Carlson Interview

A teaser trailer of Twitter CEO Elon Musk’s upcoming interview with Fox News host Tucker Carlson was released Sunday—which features Musk making the extremely serious (and currently unsubstantiated) allegation that various unnamed government agencies had full access to Twitter users’ direct messages before his takeover.
Elon doesn't lie and what possible reason would he have to in this case?

On a sunny afternoon, a few days ago, I walked from Union Square to Market St and on Market St to Van Ness. That's 1.2 miles downtown and bordering Tenderloin, passing the closed Whole Foods and also Twitter HQ (which had the "w" in its sign with normal color, btw.). I saw 1 tent on the path itself. I also walked a few times side streets 1 block into the Tenderloin area, where I saw 1 tent and 1 larger encampment. Altogether I spent about 30-40 min walking in this area, so that was 1 tent per 10+ min. I also saw about 7 police cars and about 10 police officers. Nothing else significant that I remember. Maybe there was more that I didn't notice consciously, but I tried to pay attention.

Had I walked right through the Tenderloin area, I might have seen more tents, but why do that? From driving to various places through mostly residential areas, I don't remember a lot about tents, but maybe I don't notice them as much while driving. Specific side streets seem to have a concentrated number of tents. I don't really want to go into the other questions (like Whole Foods closing one branch) since I don't really have a good perspective on these things.

Did anyone else notice that the great "Twitter Files" kraken kinda turned into a nothing-burger, where what Elon released was mostly evidence that Twitter had attempted to use a fairly even hand with extremists of many kinds, had responded to requests from the government to take things down in a similar manner across both recent administrations, and now Elon is saying he wants to wrap it up having shown not-much, and prefers to change the topic to a vague claim that the government had "access to people's DM's" which I will bet money was only done under warrant.

Elon doesn't lie...
Of course he doesn't...

1681705826909.png

Status
Not open for further replies.