Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But never has been pushed to anything close to this limit. This is probably a 100 times more than anything Spaces has handled. Yes Twitter should have been prepared, but a tech glitch that is easily solved is not reason to gloat and predict Twitter's demise.

Here is the sweet irony.. the tech glitch seen on Twitter is trending and being talked about ... on Twitter... more than on any other platform.
Ever heard of perf Testing ? Apparently neither have the losers still working at Twitter.

FWIW I regarding the starship launch I found the result perfectly understandable. They're trying to do something incredibly hard in a way nobody has ever done it before and the challenges are tremendous in number and complexity....and it's awesome they at least met the original stated goals of what they'd consider a success (though I'd certainly hoped for an even bigger success).

In contrast the twitter thing today was just embarrassing incompetence at something numerous other platforms have been doing for years. This is a solved problem they just failed at. Platforms like Twitch and YouTube comfortably serve live video streams to millions of people at once. Twitter dumped its pants with a mere few hundred k audio-only stream (for those unaware, that's not just an order of magnitude difference on people served, audio vs. video is an even more massive difference in amount of data involved in one vs the other). At an event Elon himself was talking up and had plenty of time to get the system prepared for.
Explain the first 3 Falcon 1 failure then, that's not "something incredibly hard in a way nobody has ever done it before", it's a very small and simple launch vehicle comparing to what old space did in the past, tiny comparing to Saturn V, yet it failed 3 times. And old space was laugh their ass off at the failures: "See, I told you this Paypal guy doesn't know anything about space", who's laughing now?

So just off the top of the head, these things never happened?
"pedo guy"
I can't believe we need to re-litigate this again. That guy verbally attacked Elon on TV first, Elon is simply return the favor, and he later apologized.

"funding secured"
Again, recent trial shows he did have funding secured, and the juries agreed.

posted discredited Paul Pelosi conspiracy
When he posted it it's not discredited, and when it's been proven false, he deleted it and apologized for posting it.

Banned ElonJet and issued a new policy to justify it (incident used to justify it not only had nothing to do with his jet's location in the first place, he also declined to file a police report and nothing came of it).
I haven't been tracking this drama, but last time I checked @Jxck_Sweeney and @ElonJetNextDay is still active on twitter.

NPR labeled as 'state-affiliated media'
Also didn't track this drama, but NPR themselves claimed that "Federal funding is essential to public radio's service to the American public"

And has any anti-Musk/anti-Tesla idiots apologized for their lies and FUDs about Musk and Tesla? Never. So who is the better angel here?

Well things happened rated to Tesla in 2020/2021/2022 like Model 3/Y hitting its stride in sales, which helped bring Tesla into the mainstream. His worst shenanigans (plus the changes to the platform after he bought it) came at the end of 2022 into 2023 and that coincides with the drop this year. It's troubling that despite the relatively positive reaction of the public to the Model 3/Y that Tesla's reputation would drop this year and there's not a whole lot of logical explanations why product-wise (as others pointed out).
Model 3 also had big increase in sales in 2018/2019 time frame, comparing to 2016/2017, so the sales # argument doesn't make sense.

And there're many many explanations you can give product-wise, just look at all the FUDs main stream media created for Tesla: Mass recalls, fires, FSD delay/accidents (Dan O'Dowd paid for anti-Tesla ads), "brake doesn't work", price hike, price drop, etc etc.

Let's be clear: no one here is claiming Elon's dealings at Twitter is the sole driver of Tesla's reputation, far from it, but can you not see why most people would balk at the idea it had no effect whatsoever?
I'm not claiming it has no effect whatsoever, I'm saying there's no evidence to show it has any effect.

Explain the first 3 Falcon 1 failure then, that's not "something incredibly hard in a way nobody has ever done it before", it's a very small and simple launch vehicle comparing to what old space did in the past, tiny comparing to Saturn V, yet it failed 3 times. And old space was laugh their ass off at the failures: "See, I told you this Paypal guy doesn't know anything about space", who's laughing now?
The Falcon 1 failure doesn't quite fit as an analogy though given Twitter is not a new or small startup, Spaces is not a new platform. And what Falcon 1 was trying to accomplish was also still unprecedented being the first private example of its type. I haven't followed SpaceX back then, but from what I can find the general consensus back then was it was a difficult challenge for a small company to accomplish (it still largely remains true today). None of that applies to this Twitter Space debacle, which seemed entirely avoidable.

Last edited:
How do you spell "false equivalency"?

The Falcon 1 failure doesn't quite fit as an analogy though given Twitter is not a new or small startup, Spaces is not a new platform. And what it was trying to accomplish was also still unprecedented being the first private example of its type. I haven't followed SpaceX back then, but from what I can the general consensus back then was it was a difficult challenge for a small company to accomplish. None of that applies to this Twitter Space debacle, which seemed entirely avoidable.
Twitter is a new startup for Elon Musk, he literally just took it over 7 months ago. Taking over an existing company and run it in his style is more difficult than starting from fresh, since he had to reshape the existing company's product and culture.

Also didn't main stream media say Spaces is a beta product, by definition that's a new platform.

BTW, every failure would be seen as "avoidable" in retrospect, this is true for the 3 Falcon 1 failures as well, they didn't encounter anything truly unexpected ("unknown unknowns"), just mundane errors.

The Falcon 1 failure doesn't quite fit as an analogy though given Twitter is not a new or small startup, Spaces is not a new platform. And what it was trying to accomplish was also still unprecedented being the first private example of its type. I haven't followed SpaceX back then, but from what I can the general consensus back then was it was a difficult challenge for a small company to accomplish. None of that applies to this Twitter Space debacle, which seemed entirely avoidable.
Sure enough. Windows 95 demo bombed spectacularly. Egg on their faces. Still
MS turned out to be an undisputed tech giant.

Tech hiccups happen. But rarely they are debilitating. But just minor bumps on the road. On the other hand, misplaced policies kill companies.

Musk made the front page of NYT like Janet Jackson's boob. Although his apologists will insist he's playing 3D chess, the laughingstock lives! Poor boy needs a long rest.
View attachment 940848
TMC was just down for maintenance for an hour. Layers of irony.

Will others choose to speak on spaces hoping it will fall over to get the extra publicity? Quite possibly.

Twitter should start twitter radio on spaces, a 24 hour station hosted in a studio in twitter hq. Elon etc can then take it over for interviews like last night. I would tune into a daily tech hour etc.

Turning twitter radio into twitter tv will be a killer app as last night perhaps lacked some newsworthy drama other than crashing twitter.

Reactions: bkp_duke and TSLY
I did not jump for joy when Starship failed. SpaceX has a noble goal. And I'm actually a little unclear if that was a failure or not. You can't make a rocket program without blowing up a lot of rockets. I'm sure they learned a lot of lessons.

This event, however, goes beyond a meh. This was a pretty hard faceplant. Twitter crashed on an audio only stream of half a million. That's objectively terrible compared to any other mainstream social media site.
And it was done to benefit a objectively horrible human being, so it is a glorious event.

Sure enough. Windows 95 demo bombed spectacularly. Egg on their faces. Still
MS turned out to be an undisputed tech giant.

Tech hiccups happen. But rarely they are debilitating. But just minor bumps on the road. On the other hand, misplaced policies kill companies.
Seven months ago I had a wait-and-see attitude about the Twitter takeover, even though worried about Elon's share sales and the tanking of Tesla's share price. Seven months later (seems like seven years!), Twitter is overwhelmed by hate speech of every type. Tesla share price has not recovered. And this arguably most important Twitter initiative since Elons take-over--the launch of a presidential candidate--an abject and embarrassing failure.

By "misplaced policies kill companies"--do you mean a company CEO's promotion of the racist, fascist right-wing radical fringe? That policy? and which companies were you thinking of?

Status
Not open for further replies.