Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love when people try to take an N=1 and make it apply to everything.

Meh, they failed on this livestream. The people here happy about it would have been moaning if it were for the other political party, that's what's really going on here.

Did you guys jump for joy in happiness when Starship failed to reach orbit? Probably.

This is Elon, the team will learn from the failure and fix it.

Elon will probably fix the issue like you say when/if there is a next time, but you still need to call a spade a spade when it was a failure. The problem is like a job interview, you only had one chance to make a first impression and he isn't going to be able to do a first announcement again.

He was going against the legacy (mostly Fox) media here and it failed miserably. Desantis may eventually win the nomination and be our next president, but fixing it for the next candidate isn't going to help Desantis if he doesn't finish 1st.

Unlike software development, testing rockets or most other tech work/endevours, some things in life, you only get one shot at.

This is sorta like telling someone, oh sorry, we messed up the surgury and your kid died, but don't worry, we'll fix it next time and do better.

We'll see what happens in a few months, but is this a result of Twitter shutting down server capacity, not having enough staff for simulation testing? Still a wait a see how that plays out.

Clearly Spaces should have been beefed up more. However, I think that the tech should be compared to a WhatsApp call between 1m friends rather than streaming YT etc. Each listener could be a speaker and that means zero buffering and much more wizardry. Twitter Spaces is actually the tech leader still.
Having a WhatsApp call with one million participants makes absolutely no sense. Effectively this offered nothing that a radio transmission with the option for listeners to call in by phone couldn't have delivered decades ago. Just add internet radio transmission today for the global audience.

Twitter, public health, and misinformation
A hotly debated method to bolster public trust is to better regulate the social media industry. Some fear this could lead to content surveillance and censorship, but others feel these fears are outweighed by the threat it poses to public health. The social media industry is arguably a commercial determinant of health partly because of the indirect health consequences of its business practices and actions, such as its growing role in amplifying misinformation. This role came to the fore during the COVID-19 pandemic, for example in the negative association between social media misinformation about COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine hesitancy and uptake. As highlighted in a recent Lancet Series, WHO's Department of the Social Determinants of Health could drive action on the different commercial influences on health, including social media, by supporting national governments to implement effective regulatory approaches to reduce the harms of these influences globally

Again, recent trial shows he did have funding secured, and the juries agreed.

This is flat out untrue. Not only had the court already found as a matter of fact the tweet was untrue- Elons own lawyer said it was untrue during the trial.

Spiro stated during close that the tweet was “technically inaccurate,” but then argued that did not rise to the level of fraud.

The jury agreed with that SECOND part.

When he posted it it's not discredited, and when it's been proven false, he deleted it and apologized for posting it.

First- it's great he admitted that and apologied.

But second- it's not great that he appears to have learning 0 from that and CONTINUES to just mindlessly retweet or ! react to further stories that aren't actually true and that he can't be bothered to take 30 seconds to fact check before giving them a massive audience who will assume Elon DID fact chect.

I haven't been tracking this drama, but last time I checked @Jxck_Sweeney and @ElonJetNextDay is still active on twitter.

Also didn't track this drama, but NPR themselves claimed that "Federal funding is essential to public radio's service to the American public"

Weird how closely you claim to follow some Elon drama but not the ones that are hardest to defend... very strange coincidence....

Anyway, Twitters own definite of what state sponsored means explicitly cited NPR as an example of what it {B]did not[/B] mean.

Until shortly after they added the tag out of apparent spite... then when it was pointed out they were violating their own posted policy they changed the policy. Then they finally relented and removed the tag. The tiny % of their budget coming from the feds includes exactly zero editorial control-- which is the part relevant to the "state sponsored media" tag.

It was yet another emotional unforced self-own by Elon.

And has any anti-Musk/anti-Tesla idiots apologized for their lies and FUDs about Musk and Tesla? Never. So who is the better angel here?

I'll take whataboutism for $1000 Alex!

But never has been pushed to anything close to this limit. This is probably a 100 times more than anything Spaces has handled. Yes Twitter should have been prepared, but a tech glitch that is easily solved is not reason to gloat and predict Twitter's demise.

Can you cite where I ever "predicted twitters demise" or just strawmanning again?

I agree it's easily solved- lots of services have solved it. The "bad" part is they didn't bother to solve it- or even test it- before doing a super high profile event with it. Which only reinforces the current narrative they fired way too many technical people. Whereas if they'd bothered to do a little testing they'd have easily found they needed to make improvements (and ones that are well known how to do) and they could've had a great event that would help dispel the idea the few remaining engineers are overwhelmed and over their heads. Instead they essentially doubled down on that being the case.

Is it fixable? Sure. Will be it be fixed? Maybe... there's some things Elon has promised to fix regarding Tesla that years later he hasn't (for example remember almost 5 years ago when he said he only just "realized" the mistake Tesla had made with not nearly enough service center coverage and that it'd be fixed, with all major metro areas in the US covered, in 3-6 months...and now almost 5 years later- not so much?), and plenty of things he HAS fixed too. But this event is pretty poor for Elons ideas about trying to attract content producers with large audiences to the platform. Why would someone leave a popular and stable streaming platform where they can serve millions of viewers with video without technical issues and move to a platform that repeatedly crashes with only a fraction of those viewers on an audio-only stream?

Here is an example that will drive the point .

When Obamacare was opened for public, as soon as the website opened up for registrations on the first day due to excessive demand the website crashed.

You could see the glee in the media and other Obama haters. They desperately linked the failure for the website to handle the high traffic as an indication that Affordable Care Act itself will be a failure. It took just a month for the tech problems to get fixed and we never heard of any problems again.

Twitter has never handled a volume of this size in its Podcast feature in the past. These are minor bumps on the road that will get resolved.

CNN and other fake media outlets incessantly just focusing on this tech glitch instead of actual event, reflects poorly on them as another example of their biased clickbait nature.
it was a high-profile screwup. No other way to spin it. Anti-Obama what-aboutism doesn’t help.
Two wrongs dont etc etc

"Zero bots"

Top few posts under "Musk" Trending:

1685028113358.png

1685028154559.png

1685028187098.png

I can't believe we need to re-litigate this again. That guy verbally attacked Elon on TV first, Elon is simply return the favor, and he later apologized.
I was beat to it due to site maintenance yesterday, but I felt it still made sense to address your points:

The guy never verbally attacked Elon, he only dismissed Elon's plan. There's a difference between attacking a plan and attacking a person (a difference that comes up a lot on forums). Elon also double downed immediately after the claim.
Cave diver criticizes Musk's kid-sub rescue plan. Musk suggests he's a pedophile
The circumstances and way he "apologized" was begrudgingly and it seemed he never directly do so to the person.
Elon Musk kinda apologizes for calling Thai cave rescuer a 'pedo'
A month later he doubled down, which showed his apology was likely not sincere:
Elon Musk doubles down on 'pedo' claims against UK cave diver
The later leaked emails to journalists showed very clearly he was not sincere in any way and really meant he was pedo:
Elon Musk calls Thailand diver 'child rapist' in new baseless attack
Elon did eventually win the lawsuit seeking damages for the original pedo tweet, but from the articles I read, the jury said it was because the plantiff's lawyers focused too much on emotion aspects of the case and not on the actual evidence. Also I'm not sure Elon can be liable for the later things, especially the journalist emails given Elon intended those to be private (articles say the judge specifically instructed the jury that the trial was not about those, even though they were brought up). Generally the bar for defamation is quite high (have to prove malice and damages), so quite hard to win in the first place.
Again, recent trial shows he did have funding secured, and the juries agreed.
No it didn't. The trial established the tweets were untrue. In fact it was well established already when Elon was fined by the SEC. If Elon did have funding secured, SEC wouldn't have a case. All the trial was set out to determine was: "The central question in the lawsuit was whether Musk was liable for losses suffered by shareholders"
"The trial was not to determine whether those tweets were true. That question had already been answered. Edward M. Chen, the federal judge overseeing the case, ruled that the tweets were untrue and Musk was reckless for posting them."
Elon Musk, Tesla found not liable in 'funding secured' tweet lawsuit
When he posted it it's not discredited, and when it's been proven false, he deleted it and apologized for posting it.
He did so in the most begrudging way possible (very similar to the "apology" done for "pedo guy"), responding to someone else who still continued to question it, but it was horrible in the first place that he even entertained it. It showed he was taking his news from bad sources. Like with pedo guy, he never actually apologized directly to the person it affected.
Elon Musk apologizes for tweeting a baseless conspiracy theory about the attack on Paul Pelosi
I haven't been tracking this drama, but last time I checked @Jxck_Sweeney and @ElonJetNextDay is still active on twitter.
Article here:
Twitter banned the @ElonJet account tracking Musk’s flights, reinstated it, then banned it again
This was widely reported.
Also didn't track this drama, but NPR themselves claimed that "Federal funding is essential to public radio's service to the American public"
It started with Elon erroneously labeling them as "state-affiliated", which Twitter's own policy said NPR was not given it had editorial independence (even using NPR as an explicit counter example!) The whole "government-funded" label was only created when Elon got egg on his face.
Twitter Backpedaled On NPR 'State-Affiliated Media' Label
Again this was widely reported.

As others pointed out, how are you to make an argument that there were NO Twitter shenanigans if you have not even examined the most prominently reported ones?
And has any anti-Musk/anti-Tesla idiots apologized for their lies and FUDs about Musk and Tesla? Never. So who is the better angel here?
They aren't public figures though, so it hardly matters what their opinions are or if they apologize. Musk however is a huge public figure and what he says has way more influence (something he even actively makes to ensure by boosting his own account artificially).
Model 3 also had big increase in sales in 2018/2019 time frame, comparing to 2016/2017, so the sales # argument doesn't make sense.
Not in an absolute sense. It was still a relative trickle. Plus the more popular Model Y wasn't launched yet.
And there're many many explanations you can give product-wise, just look at all the FUDs main stream media created for Tesla: Mass recalls, fires, FSD delay/accidents (Dan O'Dowd paid for anti-Tesla ads), "brake doesn't work", price hike, price drop, etc etc.

I'm not claiming it has no effect whatsoever, I'm saying there's no evidence to show it has any effect.
Of course there is never going to be a fully conclusive causal link outside of a very detailed and comprehensive survey that would not make sense for companies to do, but there's plenty of anecdotal and correlative evidence that it played at least some role. This isn't a matter that needs to be established "beyond reasonable doubt," in my book as it seems to be in yours, but it's pretty clear we are at a point of agree to disagree.

It was the "and whatever this is" comment.

It's a Cybertruck. A vehicle with projected huge margins, with the largest TAM in North America, and an order backlog over 1M.
I'm one of those $100 preorders x2 and I'm probably not going through with it. Released truck ain't what they promised with the 6 seats and who knows what else. No light bar too. (Not same price too) I'd be very surprised if they sell that many. Also there was nothing else out there when people reserved. Now there is.

I'm one of those $100 preorders x2 and I'm probably not going through with it. Released truck ain't what they promised with the 6 seats and who knows what else. No light bar too. (Not same price too) I'd be very surprised if they sell that many. Also there was nothing else out there when people reserved. Now there is.

I know a lot of people that would be happy to take those pre-orders off your hands and jump the line.

It's a Cybertruck. A vehicle with projected huge margins

Projected by whom?

Elons most recent comments on it were, specifically, that "It will be hard to make the Cybertruck affordable"

with the largest TAM in North America, and an order backlog over 1M.

Full sized trucks are the largest TAM, that's true... which makes his suggestions they're only looking at ramping to maybe 250k of them a year odd, other than in the context of the price will be so high they won't be addressing a decent section of said TAM for a while.

(also it's over 1M $100 placeholder reservations- 0 of them are orders at this time. I don't doubt a lot will convert, but I'm certain it won't be at a 100% rate given how many of those were looking for a $39,990 truck and it's very clear that's not coming anytime soon)

Projected by whom?

Elons most recent comments on it were, specifically, that "It will be hard to make the Cybertruck affordable"

Full sized trucks are the largest TAM, that's true... which makes his suggestions they're only looking at ramping to maybe 250k of them a year odd, other than in the context of the price will be so high they won't be addressing a decent section of said TAM for a while.

(also it's over 1M $100 placeholder reservations- 0 of them are orders at this time. I don't doubt a lot will convert, but I'm certain it won't be at a 100% rate given how many of those were looking for a $39,990 truck and it's very clear that's not coming anytime soon)

I completely took his comments as sandbagging, but we'll just have to see.

I think yesterday's announcement on Twitter was a high-risk low-returns strategy. If things had gone well, the media would have focused on the announcement (not on how well Twitter handled it). But now they are talking about how bad Twitter is ...

Musk should focus on operational robustness - not just on efficiency (in terms of # of employees doing ops).

Seven months ago I had a wait-and-see attitude about the Twitter takeover, even though worried about Elon's share sales and the tanking of Tesla's share price. Seven months later (seems like seven years!), Twitter is overwhelmed by hate speech of every type. Tesla share price has not recovered. And this arguably most important Twitter initiative since Elons take-over--the launch of a presidential candidate--an abject and embarrassing failure.

By "misplaced policies kill companies"--do you mean a company CEO's promotion of the racist, fascist right-wing radical fringe? That policy? and which companies were you thinking of?
Radical fringe? Anything that is not extreme left is Radical fringe nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.