Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hate Elon. But I do think that whatever the outcome is here - if Twitter misrepresented, then Elon should be allowed to walk, if they didn't, he should be made to buy - is more in line with just following contract law. We don't get to just stir the pot for fun and walk away when there are investors involved. A contract is a contract.

Speaking of investors, it seems to me that the consortium that Elon has gathered cannot be thrilled with how this is going even if he does have standing. He'll potentially have at least a little more trouble rounding up this kind of capital the next time he wants to do something out of the box.
Yes, with the caveat that there is middle ground. The facts should dictate whether he walks away without paying, has to pay full freight or ... has to settle and pony up damages, at minimum the $1 billion breakup clause, and in a right-thinking world additional damages for what his shenanigans have done to the value of the company, something that would be hard to determine with any precision, but could be settled on.

I don’t hate Elon AND I definitely think there’s a good chance he is forced to buy Twitter. You don’t think there are bad players?

This is Delaware and the chancellor who self appointed herself was apparently appointed to the Chancellor post by the DE governor. I haven’t looked but I assume Biden, who likely is friends with the governor, would love to see Elon getting ripped apart by this judge. Speculation but like Elon says it has a non-zero chance of happening.

I did wonder if Elon’s attack on the former President was motivated by the political complexion of this court

Biden does not care about Elon. Not even a little. There is zero demonstrated malice vs Elon, just felony level ignoring of him and his accomplishments. Hard to get it through the fanboy haze surrounding him, but ignoring something when you shouldn’t is not at all the same thing as hating it or taking any action against it.

I think it is naive to think Elon is not on Biden's mind. Just a tad bit defensive in this video don't you think?

Reactions: CLK350
Also does anyone know what the law says about using emojis. If I comment with a poop emoji to someone, is that insulting that person?
Emojis are just another language. If Elon disparaged Twitter in Swedish that would still count as disparagement.
And if you're still confused about what he meant:
Calling Twitter's processes bullish*t is disparagement (also the process the CEO describes is completely reasonable! I a guess there's ambiguity about whether Elon is talking about the process, their execution of the process, or if he's just accusing him of lying).

I refuse to believe Elon is this stupid. Though I admit I'm having trouble figuring out his motivations...
I don’t even understand what this Tweet is saying. Can you explain it like I am five? Is he asking why they don’t reduce the mDAU number by less than 5% when they report it?

Seems like FUD with the emphasis on U.

A few more Tweets like this and there could be another buying opportunity. Have to love disparagement.

I don’t even understand what this Tweet is saying. Can you explain it like I am five? Is he asking why they don’t reduce the mDAU number by less than 5% when they report it?

Seems like FUD with the emphasis on U.

A few more Tweets like this and there could be another buying opportunity. Have to love disparagement.
The way it's worded it seems like he thinks Twitter knows which of the mDAU's are spam accounts. If we take your more generous interpretation then sure they could scale the number and even add confidence intervals. Obviously if you wanted to do this kind of analysis you would also have to do a random sample off all the users your algorithm filtered out to determine how many of them were falsely determined to be bots.
I guess the author of the tweet does know it's a sample but doesn't seem to know that there's a way to calculate required sample sizes (for free on the internet!)

And for the record Elon certainly tricked everyone in this thread. Nobody here thought he was saying 100 a day.

Last edited:
Yes, with the caveat that there is middle ground. The facts should dictate whether he walks away without paying, has to pay full freight or ... has to settle and pony up damages, at minimum the $1 billion breakup clause, and in a right-thinking world additional damages for what his shenanigans have done to the value of the company, something that would be hard to determine with any precision, but could be settled on.

There's not actually a middle ground available to the court.

The merger agreement only has 2 possible options offered- 1 billion as an absolute max cap on liquidated damages, or specific performance for $54.20 a share for the whole company.

Certainly there's a wide range of options available for out of court settlement... but I've yet to see much to suggest (and increasingly more to NOT suggest) twitter has a pretty strong case to get the $54.20, meaning they've got relatively little reason to settle for less (and certainly not MUCH less- which could also prompt shareholder lawsuits against them)

Elon doubling down on stuff like "To be clear I totes meant to disparage Twitter with that emoji" isn't doing much to change that.

There's not actually a middle ground available to the court.

The merger agreement only has 2 possible options offered- 1 billion as an absolute max cap on liquidated damages, or specific performance for $54.20 a share for the whole company.

Certainly there's a wide range of options available for out of court settlement... but I've yet to see much to suggest (and increasingly more to NOT suggest) twitter has a pretty strong case to get the $54.20, meaning they've got relatively little reason to settle for less (and certainly not MUCH less- which could also prompt shareholder lawsuits against them)

Elon doubling down on stuff like "To be clear I totes meant to disparage Twitter with that emoji" isn't doing much to change that.
Yeah, this is exactly right.. Was referring to out of court as that third option. Should have been more clear. I would guess that’s where it ends up. There’s also some speculation a judge could order Elon to buy it, and not be able to force him to.

Problem is, Elon created the rules for the game ....and those rules allowed PEDs.
Nah, PEDs aren't allowed* there just isn't testing mid-match.

He didn't put enough work into negotiating the terms of the match and probably thought a horse would serve him as well as it had in previous transactions.

*but there's no evidence of PED use.

Last edited:
If Musk continued to ignore a judgment, the court could order Tesla and other Delaware-incorporated companies in which Musk owns a stake to freeze his assets or turn over shares.

"He'd be treated like a deadbeat dad not paying child support," said Minor Myers, a professor of UConn School of Law. "It would not be that hard."

No. That retired Chancery Justice yesterday said that couldn't happen as 3rd party companies are not tied to this transaction. Imagine the added array of unknown risks today's investors could have thrown in their laps. The court can only do so much.

No. That retired Chancery Justice yesterday said that couldn't happen as 3rd party companies are not tied to this transaction. Imagine the added array of unknown risks today's investors could have thrown in their laps. The court can only do so much.

uh... what?

Courts can absolutely seize assets of those with judgements against them (they'd be seizing Elons assets- not Teslas)- and civil judgements are enforceable across state lines for that matter (all but like 3 states are party to the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act-- Texas is a party to it and where Elon claims residency)

They could also issue an arrest warrant for Elon for contempt if he ignored their ruling-- something the chancery court HAS done in the past (though rarely, because people tend not to be dumb enough to ignore their rulings)

All of the above being so, "Elon ignores the ruling" is not a likely outcome.

That makes some sense. I wonder if they could garnish stock grants?
I also wonder whether it would be different for stock in a private company? Are those shares held by the company itself? Then Elon's SpaceX shares would be in Delaware.
Hard to believe I'm speculating about this stuff. It would be completely insane for the CEO of multiple large companies to be in violation of a Delaware court order.
(they'd be seizing Elons assets- not Teslas
Wouldn't it be Elon's brokerage who has his assets?

Status
Not open for further replies.