Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "great replacement theory" is a whole can of worms which has unfortunately gone way more mainstream on the right in recent years. You have the Fox "News" spouting off on this constantly - they aren't even trying to hide it any more. It's obvious that this type of messaging must be discouraged, since it is often coupled with violent rhetoric that leads to events just like yesterdays.

Insightful discussion requires moderation and so far we haven't seen any signs of how this will be achieved.

I've said before that I think that Twitter is a horrible medium to tackle the types of nuanced discussions the world needs to have. It is no town square. Forums / BBS systems like TMC are better, but heavy moderation is required to make these platforms work. Twitter primarily serves as a way to take out-of-context quotes where people constantly attempt to "own" the other side. It is filled with gish gallop - I see this all the time and the time / space required to counter misinformation is simply not possible.

Maybe all the meat of Elon's ideas are being kept private under NDA, but we will see. He's never let an NDA stop him from spilling the beans before.

Agreed. If you just click on Daniel in SD’s post above, it becomes almost unreadable after a few tweets.

It is so banal and cheap.

Why would anyone want to be on this platform is beyond me, TBH.

I don't actually think he would. I think he'll find that running Twitter will not be nearly as fun as trolling on Twitter.
I was just pointing out that implementing his "whatever is legal" policy would be a financial disaster for him.
Absolutely. There is no way people want to advertise on pages filled with neo-Nazi hate speech.

I first thought he believes in "free speech" like ACLA. But it turns out he believes in "free speech" like Ben Shapiro. Taking a clear ideological position when declaring you are for free speech just means you think speech that Alt-Right wants should be protected.

BTW, Elon is also asking to "investigate" groups calling for boycott of twitter by companies if Twitter allows hate speech. Also note how easily he falls for the usual anti-Sematic trope about "Soros".

Absolutely. There is no way people want to advertise on pages filled with neo-Nazi hate speech.

I first thought he believes in "free speech" like ACLA. But it turns out he believes in "free speech" like Ben Shapiro. Taking a clear ideological position when declaring you are for free speech just means you think speech that Alt-Right wants should be protected.

BTW, Elon is also asking to "investigate" groups calling for boycott of twitter by companies if Twitter allows hate speech. Also note how easily he falls for the usual anti-Sematic trope about "Soros".

This is getting very weird.
Has he jumped the shark?

Here's something that should correct the left bias of Twitter

A burgeoning online movement known as Dark MAGA is calling for former President Donald Trump to return to power and take revenge against his enemies.

Business Insider: Dark MAGA explained: Far-right memes calling for Trump revenge.

Reactions: advocate8
This will be interesting when Elon lets Putin back on Twitter.
Brief explanation: To me it is clear that Trump is steered/manipulated/coached by Putin and his army of thousands of psychologists, professional manipulators, political and demographic analysts etc. Putin has been very successful in wrecking many democracies. For example the political hatred and chasm Trump (Putin) manged to create in the USA, Brexit, Marine Le Pen, and so on. So far he has been quite effective in weakening his 'enemies' - 'The West' - or western democracies.
Now I'm curious how Elon is going to deal with Putin's manipulation of a very large segment of the world's population through the very successful FUD he has been disseminating through Twitter including Trump's tweets.
Do I have any proof of all this? Not really, but there is some data of this in the 2019 Mueller Report.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
  1. Elon's not listening to this thread and so not benefitting from all of your comments telling him not to do it
  2. Even if he was he would ignore
  3. Elon is doing it because he thinks he is saving the world
  4. Elon is prepared to eat glass and stare into the abyss
  5. He has done it before, with Twitter next and others like Neuralink to follow
  6. Enjoy the rollercoaster - TSLA will be amazeballs whatever

So this is just the bash Elon thread on TMC now? Never thought I would see anything like that here.

I myself am a Tesla owner, stockholder and big Elon fan that also has a pretty clear grasp that a trade-off for his technical brilliance is a tendency for personal flaws that include twitter-rants, incoherent belief in free-speech-absolutism while being perfectly happy to get those who disagree with him banned, and... well lots more. I want Captain Asperger oriented towards his best abilities, not his inner demons

1. Elon's not listening to this thread and so not benefitting from all of your comments telling him not to do it
  2. Even if he was he would ignore
  3. Elon is doing it because he thinks he is saving the world
  4. Elon is prepared to eat glass and stare into the abyss
  5. He has done it before, with Twitter next and others like Neuralink to follow
  6. Enjoy the rollercoaster - TSLA will be amazeballs whatever
Well he might listen to you if you send a tweet to him, haha. This btw is why a forum like this is never going to replicate twitter, I think at one time Elon Musk, Tory Bruno and Peter Beck all replied to a nobody's rocket question on twitter, there is simply no other media where you can get this level of interaction.

And he doesn't necessarily need to eat glass and stare into the abyss, Boring did fairly well without him spending tons of time on it, it's already worth $5.7B. He just needs a good CEO, if he can get Jack Dorsey back that'd be great.

Well he might listen to you if you send a tweet to him, haha. This btw is why a forum like this is never going to replicate twitter, I think at one time Elon Musk, Tory Bruno and Peter Beck all replied to a nobody's rocket question on twitter, there is simply no other media where you can get this level of interaction.

And he doesn't necessarily need to eat glass and stare into the abyss, Boring did fairly well without him spending tons of time on it, it's already worth $5.7B. He just needs a good CEO, if he can get Jack Dorsey back that'd be great.
This interaction stuff is way overstated. You’ve got nearly as good a chance getting Elon to respond to you here as Twitter. Essentially the same as lottery odds either place.

Thinking about the effects of all this on Tesla’s brand....It’s one thing to say Trump should be allowed back on Twitter. It’s quite another to go down the anti-semitic BS conspiracy rabbit hole of Soros and other jewish people controlling the media / big business etc. That’s full-on white supremacy nonsense and absolutely WILL damage the brand if that’s where he’s headed.

These folks did a quickie analysis of twitter accounts active over the past 90 days. They claim ~19.42% are likely spam/bots. If true, that would be 4x what twitter has been claiming lately.

I created a twitter account early on and have yet to issue a tweet. A few years ago I noticed I had several hundred followers. Deleted as many as I could, but still had a few. Now I notice I have zero followers. So it seems like twitter has been doing some cleaning up.

These folks did a quickie analysis of twitter accounts active over the past 90 days. They claim ~19.42% are likely spam/bots. If true, that would be 4x what twitter has been claiming lately.

I created a twitter account early on and have yet to issue a tweet. A few years ago I noticed I had several hundred followers. Deleted as many as I could, but still had a few. Now I notice I have zero followers. So it seems like twitter has been doing some cleaning up.

I have a friend, admittedly he's pretty libertarian in his political views, he was banned ~2 years ago from Twitter for "posting unverifiable information".

This weekend, without any input on his end, his account was re-instated with the attached message (account name blacked out for privacy):
twitter.jpeg

Hrm . . . is twitter trying to clean house to make things look better for Elon? Were twitter employees previously incorrectly enforcing their own rules (we've seen it happen even on this forum)? Inquiring minds want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.