Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expectations on how Elon should behave are sky high.

He is a hardworking, sleep deprived, constantly attacked, medicating on alcohol, Ambien & Diet Pepsi etc., spectrum sided human with a lizard brain, monkey brain and randomly wired human brain running on hormones. Expectations of those that Elon is "influencing" is in the gutter and yet they have fewer of the above excuses.

Soon technology will allow us to lockup those with incriminating thoughts.
7 Bn lizard brained folk in Utopia is only possible with CCP style control. Let's Go!

He is better than this -
Not sure there’s evidence for this anymore. People change.

Would be reasonable to say you hope he changes back I guess! (Though I have heard he has always had really eclectic ideas so not sure what that would look like.)

. But to make this totally bonehead move on the third day after he took ownership of the company really disappoints me,
Disappointing but so unsurprising.
user of Twitter and a TSLA HODLer,
Possible you may want to re-evaluate both. Hard to know though!
Am I crazy to think that Elon will be forced to tone things down now that he runs Twitter?
Yes.

The Tweet from this morning by Elon didn’t even make me bat an eyelid. It’s exactly the sort of thing I expect from Elon these days (this was not the case a few years ago, most of the time, but now it is routine - he is just boringly predictable now).

I just read the Tweet, couldn’t access the link initially of course, so I figured I knew what it would be like. Came back to read it later and there were no surprises. Just the sort of insanity I expected.
But is this true?
No. Of course he’s going to pay them out. Beer bet? 😂
Or it could just be Elon barking up the wrong tree again.
Yes. He is just going to pay up. However, hope springs eternal in these matters it seems. Good for the lawyers!

Looking forward to Elon coming out and saying that 30% (or whatever) of accounts are bots and that this proves him right. Give it a week.

He’ll be near insufferable for a while I suspect. More so than normal.
This seems to have proven right on both points. Took less time than I expected.

So far this drama has had an awfully predictable plot.

Last edited:
For those that missed it, he’s implying NYT is known to publish false news.
Much much more consequential fake news like the Iraq WMD Cheney-Judith Miller-Cheney news cycle laundering, which had some horrific real world consequences. BTW, NYT was bad even in the 1930s. I don’t know how they got the reputation as the “paper of record”.

And here lies the issue with social media. Who gets pushed? The woman with the reasonable tweet, or the one with the RABID tweet? Which do you hear? I rarely see articles about “moderate thinker mildly disagrees, with caveats, with the recent statements by…”. But “Twitter demolishes <political figure>” makes for clicky glory.

So you think “the left” (categorization I just talked about upthread) went into RABID mode, but only a few on “the left” did. Just as people accuse those on “the right” (also categorization) of having certain negative traits, because the Q crowd or whom ever else gives everyone a bad name.

Political ideology is a cafeteria plan, not a two item order. Social media (or any media) don’t profit from moderate views. So everyone gets siloed and calcified and we get to these disappointing types of standoffs. This thread is a good example of smart, like minded people jumping onto teams. Media carries the torch on that one.
Perhaps I was a bit too generalizing in my post.

"Let the good times roll"

I'm sure none of this will splash back onto Tesla at all...
nothing changed

Gotta love how so many here are so quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater like they can predict exactly what Elon will do. He’s a hype man, and you’re doing exactly what he wants you to do right now.

Talking about him. 😵‍💫
yep, this is the secret “i hate elon”
thread. so now we’re going to jump on the media bandwagon and bash everything elon does. what a bunch of crybabies…grow up!

i don’t like that this whole thing affected TSLA share price either (and exactly how much it has affected it is debatable). and i hate when he sticks his foot in his mouth. and i don’t agree with some of his wild shitposting…so i get it.

but we’re here now. it’s happened. no turning back.
we had denial, and plenty of anger…will this thread ever accept?

let’s just see what changes come. it will take some time. and those changes will never make 100% happy 100% of the time, so that’s a given.

My post got deleted from the roundtable thread. Here's a very interesting POV how Twitter could act as an invaluable dataset for Tesla's AI ambitions. I will now do the thread justice by summarizing it.

To be frank, I don't think the author of that tweet knows what they're talking about. Twitter is a dataset of text, images, user nodes, and linkages. You could train a chatbot, or loosely base an image classification engine off of people who chose to give their images alt-text. Or harvest the linkage data to mine things like political affiliations. All of the above have already been done to some extent. But it doesn't enable anything new that Tesla wouldn't already have had access to, especially considering that Twitter has an open API for researchers, and has for quite a while.

The following poll shows one of two things:

- Those saying all this hurts Elon (and thus Tesla) are out of touch with public opinion.
- The 720,000 people participating in the poll are not representative of public opinion.

poll.PNG

Link to the poll.

Elon reacts in his unique way.

I never said policies changed, just the emboldened behavior associated with Elon's takeover. Racists, fascists, and conspiracy lunatics see Elon as their savior, this is who he's attracting. If he becomes more associated with those types it will negatively impact Tesla's brand.
it was a coordinated attack we later find out - so the effect is valid (we all noticed it)

but the cause was malicious and now we all know

i think those crazies will soon find out he’s not their savior. just needs some time.

I don't agree to that. Sorry.

He's human, he will do things that piss off everyone at some point in time. But I am reserving judgement till a few months from now on how I see he has changed (or hasn't) Twitter.

exactly!

let’s see what happens.
right now it’s all noise. some of it caused by him of course. but some caused by the machine.

many naysayers here might be correct…my mind isn’t made up. but we shall see. i have some hope that it will turn out better than some here think

- Those saying all this hurts Elon (and thus Tesla) are out of touch with public opinion.
- The 720,000 people participating in the poll are not representative of public opinion.

Probably both are true. I was going to post that poll myself, until it occurred to me that it only appeared in my feed because I followed Elon. Someone also conducted a small follow-up poll in the replies that shows it's not entirely representative of the US population as a whole:

1667219008125.png

As of December 2020, 31% of Americans identify as Democrats, 25% identify as Republican, and 41% identify as independent. So not wildly unrepresentative, but not entirely representative.

• Informative
Reactions: Nathan
I think you're confused. I don't read much here that sounds like people telling Elon what to do. What I read is lots of people saying what they wish Elon would do.

Me, I wish he would STFU on Twitter, except for technical engineering stuff. He has said multiple times that he tweets for amusement and to blow off steam. Well, owning the company pretty much means he's utterly ruined that for himself. Maybe, maybe he can get it back by tweeting from an pseudonymous account, but I doubt it.

His political comments are ignorant and stupid. His mockery of Twitter is utterly inappropriate now that he owns it. His jokes are mostly not funny, although I don't really have any opinion on whether I wish he would stop. In any case, I certainly have the right to have an opinion, and I don't imagine I have any right to tell him what to do.

But wow, he desperately needs his mom to tell him to act like an adult. His behavior has been sliding from clownish to reprehensible pretty quickly. If it gets much worse it will cause permanent damage. As a Tesla investor, I don't want to see any more Twitter polls asking about whether Elon's character makes people more or less likely to buy a Tesla.

he also said he was going to keep a low profile - like, not so long ago.

what happened to that?
he just can’t resist.

while im not triggered by the things he does on twitter, he still continues to step on his tongue a lot.

to those crying about it impacting tesla - luckily not a factor at this point in the adoption curve

and as for twitter direction, let’s at least see if the algo can change for the better to promote the 80% and muffle/disrupt the 10% on each fringe.

it’s an information war. unfortunately simple minds are malleable. cutting off the vitriol can save minds. having a healthy debate on facts is what most people want. maybe there’s a way to promote that data over the nonsense. maybe there’s not. we will see.

Geez...this pricing feels eerily similar to that of FSD. Hopefully some additional features come along with this. :rolleyes: Why not charge a one-time $100 fee for account verification? Sometimes I wonder if Elon has lost touch with proletariat.

Edit: Thinking about this further it does make sense to do this as a monthly fee. This would allow for someone who stops using a verified Twitter account to lose verification making them less a hacking/impersonation target.

Last edited:

Geez...this pricing feels eerily similar to that of FSD. Hopefully some additional features come along with this. :rolleyes: Why not charge a one-time $100 fee for account verification?

Sometimes I wonder if Elon has lost touch with proletariat.
Given that large percentage of twitter's user are outside U.S., I think that timeline for that verification feature is impossible.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Status
Not open for further replies.