Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We could pay attention to what he has previously said he will do about it.

The problem is certainly no harder than landing rockets on drone ships.

And Elon is too far committed to give up easily on Twitter and not care. As always, I suggest he wants to prove the critics wrong.

this makes me think he doesn't care or thinks it is funny....

I think credit card details, phone numbers, or some Apple ID are part of the verification process.
So a previously blocked customer might be blocked on that basis.

The other thing Twitter can do is develop some software process which looks for these impersonation accounts, highlights them and perhaps automatically locks them.

Basically Twitter now is where Tesla was in 2008, lots of work to be done, and success isn't guaranteed. But using logic and reason rather than emotion, I give Elon and Twitter a fighting chance, because computer software isn't that hard, and incremental improvement always works.
Sure, but the way to do this is to first develop a way to automate it, then eliminate the jobs of the people who are doing it manually. Not the other way around.
Identity verification and fake-identity-bad-actors is a HUGE industry, and a constant arms race especially in the mobile-apps world.

There are experts with decades of experience in the trenches on the topic.... likely some of them are former Twitter employees.

But thinking you've just invented the idea of using software to look for impersonation accounts and highlight them... um.. yeah welcome to 2008
Amazon is still having a lot of issues with fake listings. 4 BILLION of them just last year to be exact. And they've been at this for a long time. Amazon reports blocking 4 billion counterfeit listings in 2021

Identity verification and fake-identity-bad-actors is a HUGE industry, and a constant arms race especially in the mobile-apps world.

There are experts with decades of experience in the trenches on the topic.... likely some of them are former Twitter employees.

But thinking you've just invented the idea of using software to look for impersonation accounts and highlight them... um.. yeah welcome to 2008
I'm not claiming to have invented anything. merely saying Elon and Twitter are well aware of what can be done. And I am also saying it is far too early to assume they are out of ideas and don't have additional plans.

Sure, but the way to do this is to first develop a way to automate it, then eliminate the jobs of the people who are doing it manually. Not the other way around.

Amazon is still having a lot of issues with fake listings. 4 BILLION of them just last year to be exact. And they've been at this for a long time. Amazon reports blocking 4 billion counterfeit listings in 2021

I think blocking 4 billion attempted fake listings might be evidence that Amazon DOES know how to detect it with software.

I don't. Perhaps I used the term incorrectly. It's been widely reported that Twitter now has a lot of debt and the interest is $1B/yr. I think the money went to paying off loans associated with the Twitter deal. Rob Maurer said the money was to help with the acquisition of Twitter and Musk said it was to help save Twitter.

What else could it be but to pay off high interest loans? Musk said the fourth quarter for Tesla is going to be super. The EV and battery rebates next year should be a huge boost for Tesla. And Elon had announced he was done selling TSLA to pay for Twitter. Unless Elon thought TSLA was going to tank further anyway (without him selling) then he must have had a really good reason to sell now.

I'd like to hear other ideas and explanations. Maybe there's a more benign explanation that I'm missing.
Oh, I'm not arguing against his sales being for cash for Twitter in some form, just wondering if we knew what the final mix of funds was.
I would be a little surprised if it was just due to interest given how depressed the stock price currently is. Unless it's a lot of interest.

I’ll be worried when he starts acting like a fuddy-duddy.
It is best to accept Elon for what he is, take the good with the bad, and expect some bad.

When dealing with the bad, a sense of humour, and a long term view definitely help.

Anyone expecting Elon to change, and to do what they want him to do, is always going to end up very disappointed.,

What? Hoe does one get a new CC on a whim?

Phone numbers, apple Ids, credit cars and vastly more things are all rentable on the internet at very affordable prices if you're willing to be involved with bad actors.

I'm telling you this is an huge existing industry. Facebook and Apple are probably the best experts at it and have among the cleanest ecosystems. Even they are not perfect, and it takes cubic millions of dollars to constantly fight back the new hacking angles and tactics.

Thinking you're just gonna write a bit of code and/or throw some AI at the problem is incredibly naive

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
prepaid visa card?
There may be ways to prevent that.

The first six digits of the credit card represent the Issuer Identification Number (IIN), also known as the Bank Identification Number (BIN). These digits clearly identify the financial institution issuing the card.

The twitter account TeslaReal impersonating Tesla twitter account is still not suspended more that 3.5 hrs after the tweet was posted. So it seems any corrective action to suspend impersonating accounts is manual at this point. It is unbelievable that Elon decided to roll out paid verification with out having any automation to detect attempts to impersonation. I find it in-excusable that there is no automation that would put a hold for manual review, if a new or an existing twitter account changes the display name to that of an existing verified account

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3
That gets expensive fast for a couple of lols. Trolls will do it a few times, then give up.
We also need to consider what a troll / scammer can potentially gain, especially if new account appears the bottom of any topic and if "topic filters" are implemented.

To make money they need to be running a scam, if their credit card details can be used to uncover their real identify that is useful for law enforcement.

Any extra data that can be captured is useful for law enforcement.

It is hard for a scammer to make money on Twitter while doing things that are 100% legal.

It is hard for a single troll to move the needle if they are quickly unmasked.

Status
Not open for further replies.